> Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Forced Induction This section for the traditional Pontiac V8

sponser links

Old 11-25-19, 05:29PM   #31
Gach
Administrator

Isnít that always the way, get a mind set on one combo, by the time itís all done thereís a better way to make more power. Then wheels start turning, but Wallet just wonít support it.

CV-1 King no doubt! Dude 7.49 !
Old 11-27-19, 03:28AM   #32
turbo69BIRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
Should I sell my IA11 block and crank too and go with a stock block and stock crank..Like you
I would but you don't have to.
Depends what you want to do with it, if you want to run 9s and be reliable and put money back in your pocket sell the whole deal. Intact.
If you feel the need t go faster might want to keep a stout block.
My 60ft sucks because I want ALL my parts to live but 1 tenths up front is three out back so you do the math, leave off the trans brake and you'll go a lot quicker than I do on a stock block.
Don't forget I don't even have factory 4 bolt caps never mind a cheap set of aftermarket 4 bolt caps that are stronger. I, still on a 2 bolt set up.
Hard blocked half way, arp studs, didn't even line bore the block. It's all Pontiac, and I can assure you I pound it hard. Feel free to come up I'll take you for a ride to prove it.
9 years havent even touched a spark plug. My airport where I fly out of is black tracked all over the place to the point the other pilots are complaining.

I'm now at 17 psi and she's sti happy so far.
And yes I'm knocking on wood after saying that.
The key is my tune 10.5 to one far under boost nice and safe gives up some Hp no doubt but it lives a good life.
old set up-3250 LBS 69 firebird T-88 turbo 455 .030 CAT H beam rods, stock crank, stock block( 2 bolt) performer intake, 850 carb 6X-6 heads 114 cc ( unported) TH 400 and 3.73 gears = 9.76 @ 141 with a 163 short time = 725 RWHP and 878 HP @ the crank

new set up - same but with home ported heads and Gen 7 DFI, my custom SS headers
Jeff Palazzo

Www.pontiaction.net
Www.mayhemturbo.com
turbo69BIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-19, 03:07PM   #33
Gach
Administrator

You know I appreciate your advice, about 6-7 months ago I looked into going turbo deal. I see you ran 9.70 with your combo. I we had a choice spend $8500.00 for whole turbo deal, then have to make a gear, cam and convertor on top of spending the $8500.00. This was after we sold the heads, instead we opted to just go with new set of heads, the heads were $3500.00.

So with no other changes same cam..convertor and gear, still on pump gas closed exhaust, perfectly street able, on motor it ran 9.20 with 1.25 sixty foot.
First full pass.

So over 1/2 second faster then what you have run, if we line up it wouldnít be a contest. The car weights 3360 lbs with driver. Itís faster then that now, it will run in the high 8ís hopefully next year at Norwalk.

Not that we have to prove anything to anyone. Itís just a fun real street car, take it out anytime and pull up to the gas pump.

It has a nitrous cam, the intake is all set up for a fogger System, which we havenít spent the money to have done. Probably wonít either. If we decide to no doubt car would easily run 8.30ís

Just my opinion but thereís no way Iíd run a stock block and crank making that kind of power. Itís like a grenade with pin out. Just way to many things that could go wrong with the tune.

Yeah I get it if we were looking to make max effort power and run in 6ís turbo definitely the way to go.

I also get it, guys can take a stock block and crank perfectly street able car slap a turbo on it and run 9ís. With iron heads cheap cheap! 10 years ago we ran 9.40ís on pump gas and back it up.
Old 11-27-19, 07:13PM   #34
Gach
Administrator

I admire guys doing turbo builds, 10 years ago (maybe longer ) all this information wasnít available at least in the Pontiac community. We wanted to get into the 9ís on pump gas. But keep it Street able. To make that kind of hp safely meant aftermarket block and billet crank. We achieved that goal 10 years ago.
Old 11-28-19, 09:46PM   #35
Mb125

I know it's cliche but remember what Marty P did back in the day.
Imagine what he could have done with today's better turbocharger''s and EFI and electronics on factory block and heads.
Old 11-28-19, 10:27PM   #36
Gach
Administrator

I bought Marty heads off that motor ( his e-heads ) we talked at length, he actually went the 6.95 with iron heads. I was still in contact with him when Big Chief was buying his car. Yeah look what Chief has done with a 340-50 CFM E-head and heís still kicking butt.

Learn allot about turbos from him what works and donít work. Heís having health issues so heís pretty much done. Think the wife or daughter has a 70 GTO turbo they play with. Canít remember which though.
Old 11-29-19, 05:11PM   #37
turbo69BIRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
You know I appreciate your advice, about 6-7 months ago I looked into going turbo deal. I see you ran 9.70 with your combo. I we had a choice spend $8500.00 for whole turbo deal, then have to make a gear, cam and convertor on top of spending the $8500.00. This was after we sold the heads, instead we opted to just go with new set of heads, the heads were $3500.00.

So with no other changes same cam..convertor and gear, still on pump gas closed exhaust, perfectly street able, on motor it ran 9.20 with 1.25 sixty foot.
First full pass.

So over 1/2 second faster then what you have run, if we line up it wouldn’t be a contest. The car weights 3360 lbs with driver. It’s faster then that now, it will run in the high 8’s hopefully next year at Norwalk.

Not that we have to prove anything to anyone. It’s just a fun real street car, take it out anytime and pull up to the gas pump.

It has a nitrous cam, the intake is all set up for a fogger System, which we haven’t spent the money to have done. Probably won’t either. If we decide to no doubt car would easily run 8.30’s

Just my opinion but there’s no way I’d run a stock block and crank making that kind of power. It’s like a grenade with pin out. Just way to many things that could go wrong with the tune.

Yeah I get it if we were looking to make max effort power and run in 6’s turbo definitely the way to go.

I also get it, guys can take a stock block and crank perfectly street able car slap a turbo on it and run 9’s. With iron heads cheap cheap! 10 years ago we ran 9.40’s on pump gas and back it up.

I think our definitions of a street car are very different , a 4500 stall and a 4.30 gears isn't street able to me. If I can't drive it on the highway and run 70 mph for an hour it's not a street car. My car with a 3.73 gear and a 29 inch tall tire w 3000 stall is on the edge of what I call street able. I'd really like to change to a 3.08 gear and put steel doors and roll up windows and full exhaust then I'd consider mine fully streetable.
That what's turbos allow you to do. And go click off 9s.

Don't get me wrong your car is bad azz but o think you'd enjoy it more if it was more street able and turbos also get a ton of attention.
old set up-3250 LBS 69 firebird T-88 turbo 455 .030 CAT H beam rods, stock crank, stock block( 2 bolt) performer intake, 850 carb 6X-6 heads 114 cc ( unported) TH 400 and 3.73 gears = 9.76 @ 141 with a 163 short time = 725 RWHP and 878 HP @ the crank

new set up - same but with home ported heads and Gen 7 DFI, my custom SS headers
Jeff Palazzo

Www.pontiaction.net
Www.mayhemturbo.com
Old 11-29-19, 11:25PM   #38
Gach
Administrator

4:30 gear but has 32Ē tall tire, so it breaks gear down. I have to dig out the formula to see what It breaks it down to. Turbo make tremendous amount torque, nightmare trying to hook up on street. Do you know Guido Beautiful 65 GTO. Hereís a video of him trying to hook it up at the track. Run 10.50

https://youtu.be/jKjVguEXD9o

Think he finally ran 9.70 but itís very inconsistent. Guess what he made for RWH on chassis dyno. He finish 2/second in his class at Drag Week. Everyone builds for different reasons. So what they build is ideal for them. Think he drove something like 2100-2500 miles. Got 13 mpg.

When we take car out itís usually within 30 mile radius. Looking for victims the kind that think Pontiacís donít rev and are rod chuckles. So never have to drive and hour at 70 mph.

For me the name of the game is letís line them up.
Old 12-01-19, 02:39PM   #39
turbo69BIRD

I can hook just fine on the street.

Jeff Palazzo

Www.pontiaction.net
Www.mayhemturbo.com
Old 12-01-19, 08:27PM   #40
Gach
Administrator

1.63 short time at track with car hooking... what you think your short time is on street ?