Engine Tech
> Engine Tech Discussion - Street or Strip
User Name
Password

sponser links

Old 09-30-17, 11:59AM   #1
Mr.Pontiac

Default Tunnel port vs. Edelbrocks??

Don,t know a thing about em, but what ive read. Looks like a awesome set-up, anybody ever price a set of heads or intake???How about headers for a Early gto firebird??? interesting reading. I see no prices anyplace and was wondering about comparison. I seen a set of these heads 25 yrs ago and they where awesome back then. So what do we know for sure guys??? Do tell!! I am watching!!
Mr.Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-17, 12:10PM   #2
Mb125

I'll tell you this on the cost.
You can build 2 engines like you have now sitting in your GTO for what it would cost.
Old 09-30-17, 01:21PM   #3
Gach
Administrator

Glad you asked. $4999.00 for a complete set. That's just the heads..no intake..no headers...no cam. Because they take a special cam, because of the valve lay out. Here's his web site.

http://www.dcimotorsports.com/produc...ir-five-heads/
Old 09-30-17, 01:45PM   #4
Mb125

Really takes a labor of love to go through all the whole process to manufacture anything for pontiac with the limited market.
Old 09-30-17, 02:13PM   #5
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb125 View Post
Really takes a labor of love to go through all the whole process to manufacture anything for pontiac with the limited market.
Oh I agree, but here's the thing, we were promised better heads, the mistake they make tho is on delivery ( called resualts) the old tried and true E-heads still out sell them all 10-1. Why because it's a more affordable head, and is a head you can step up with year after year.
Old 09-30-17, 02:39PM   #6
sprint250
Moteesuh

Default Another Dead Horse?

If the tunnel port was such a hot concept the manufacturers would have pursued it,the aftermarket would have produced it long ago for all brands of engines and that architecture would be on all cylinder heads of winning race cars across the land.
But what does history show?
Getting it all to work satisfactorily is a whole 'nother story.
Just ask TJS 44.
Big as those ports were/are they really did not do well NA on displacements below 428 cubic inch .NA at high rpm WOT is where they shined. With forced induction they did even better.
The smaller displacements had trouble using all that port and still have usable low and mid-range performance.
The technology moved away from the concept.
Unless the new makers of these heads are offering several port sizes the heads will be best suited to 455" and up displacements.
The romance with nostalgia & the " RA V mystique" are hot sales commodities. People can buy that kind of hardware now just so they can say they have that ultra rare "RA V aura" surrounding their car.
If that's what makes them happy let'em go for it .
Almost 50 years in the making.
Old 09-30-17, 05:15PM   #7
Gach
Administrator

I don't get the whole Ram V deal, other then nostalgic point. What ever floats your boat I guess. I certainly wouldn't put someone downtown for that choice because he likes the nostalgia of it. But a from a performance aspect, it's Ludacris. Obviously DCI is no Darien Morgan. I just think of the years sense 1970's to were we're now and can fully understand why we've lost so many Pontiac guys to the Chevy's.
Old 09-30-17, 07:23PM   #8
Mr.Pontiac

yes i agree with you all, nice replys
Mr.Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17, 12:04AM   #9
Mb125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
I I just think of the years sense 1970's to were we're now and can fully understand why we've lost so many Pontiac guys to the Chevy's.
Well when you can buy a set of heads for 1/3 the cost and have a plethora of off the shelf parts and not have to wait months for custom this and custom that and make 1000+ hp out the box without any porting.
Why not?
Old 10-01-17, 12:33AM   #10
Gach
Administrator

Exactly
Old 10-01-17, 02:41AM   #11
Pard

Ram v heads look great, Price them out from the link, by the way thanks for the link not in my budget though.
Pard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17, 03:03PM   #12
wheelsup 72

What cracks me up is the way them guys likes to throw around that 800/1000 hp number on pump gas yet where are the track results. The most recent build claimed 650 hp, but it ran 11.90s, thats sorry ass and no where near 650,( my 400 with 7k3 heads ran 11.80s and what if i had put a blower on it? lol) my wifes smallblock 360 based dodge dart, that I spend $6300. to build the motor is 2 seconds faster that car and her edelbrock heads are 171 cc. lol Im all about bang for buck, not bend over for a fuk! lol
wheelsup 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17, 04:27PM   #13
Pard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup 72 View Post
What cracks me up is the way them guys likes to throw around that 800/1000 hp number on pump gas yet where are the track results. The most recent build claimed 650 hp, but it ran 11.90s, thats sorry ass and no where near 650,( my 400 with 7k3 heads ran 11.80s and what if i had put a blower on it? lol) my wifes smallblock 360 based dodge dart, that I spend $6300. to build the motor is 2 seconds faster that car and her edelbrock heads are 171 cc. lol Im all about bang for buck, not bend over for a fuk! lol
See that's exactly what am afraid of. That's allot of money only to run 11.90's. I could care less about the nostalgia thing, I can't afford it.
Old 10-01-17, 04:57PM   #14
Gach
Administrator

Here's CV-1's....another option for you

http://rolandracing.com/id17.html
Old 10-01-17, 05:23PM   #15
Pard

Thanks...I'll check it out.