> Member's Projects in progress
User Name
Password

Member's Projects in progress Show us what you're working on

sponser links

Old 08-12-19, 02:54PM   #1
SDMAN

Default The saga continues

Now that the engine for the GTO is waiting for machine work/assembly, I have decided to chemically strip all the old paint off the rolling chassis. Need to get a peek under it to see if there is any serious repair work necessary. Were well into this now, and the drivers side and roof are completely stripped. Other than some minor dings and bumps, along with the usual ripples that are in every stamped panel, there is zero cancer. Not even a rust spot. Anywhere. So the guy doing the work (in my shop at home) is working the panels nice and flat and lining everything up. Once a section is ready, he lays a couple of coats of Squeeg's epoxy primer on it and moves on. Once all the paint is off, and its all in primer, he will spend more time on getting the panels closer to the point where they will be ready for paint. He will leave the last 10% or so of bodywork for when its ready to paint. Lots of work still needs to be done, and the chances of a ding or dent are high.

I want the car to be Orange. The original Orbit Orange looks good, I like the Dodge 2016 color Go Mango, but the one I am really leaning to is House of Kolor Neon Orange. Would like to get samples of all 3, but Orbit Orange seems very hard to find as far as a sample. The other 2 I already have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stripper1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	29775  
SDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-19, 05:39PM   #2
Gach
Administrator

Oh yes...itís allot of work. Like your color choices. We did the 68 GTO Mango, thatís long been sold. Nice color too.
Old 08-12-19, 08:48PM   #3
SDMAN

The look I am going for will be retro stock as far as body/paint/graphics.
Stock lines (even the glass hood is based on the GTO dual scoop factory piece, just has an additional 2" in height), correct graphics for the year and all the chrome trim upgrades. Wheel well, rockers, new drip rails, window trim, felts, etc.
Just really low with big wide tires.

I found a Cragar look billet wheel I think I am going to use, as it would be perfect for the year of the car. Who here didn't have a set of cragars at some point. They come in multiple diameters, widths, and backspace/offset and custom big brake clearancing. I need 15X15 in the back and 17X9.5 for the front.
Old 08-12-19, 10:01PM   #4
Gach
Administrator

Love cragars to this day. Maybe because it brings back memories. One thing that was a big deciding factor on buying my 70, was the ride height, no graphics or decals. Definitely best design GTO, 49 years later and the design still looks modern. Of course Iím a little basis.

I like the stock hood look..no hood scoop. Unfortunately with the victor intake and 1Ē spacer...that canít happen

Canít wait to yours done. Going to be awesome, your choices are right up my alloy.
Old 08-12-19, 10:06PM   #5
Gach
Administrator

Love this one..just beautiful
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	43E55231-431D-4FE0-BE4D-D9B028E84DA2.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	29777  
Old 08-13-19, 01:04AM   #6
SDMAN

I am shooting for something that looks just like this as far as visuals.
All the correct graphics and stickers for the year.
A lot lower (~5") with mega wide tires. Rears are almost 18", fronts 11".
The pic is obviously Orbit Orange. I likely won't use that shade, but it will be orange.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Orange_Judge.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	29778  
Old 08-13-19, 01:21AM   #7
Gach
Administrator

I like ! Itíll be a nice color, I can picture it. Hereís a picture give and idea of the stance, Iím sure yours will be allot lower. Itís a picture of my son giving her a bath. Iíd love to do front spoiler like Tommyís car, big bucks tho
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AEAC5B72-37F5-4D15-A4F7-DC97C88FB80E.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	29779   Click image for larger version

Name:	D39C3ED1-1407-4DCF-8B14-4FD7B5A133C6.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	29780