PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Restoration and General Tech
> Paint and Body Q&A
User Name
Password

Paint and Body Q&A Bodyshop tips, tricks, Q&A in here.

sponser links

Old 01-18-07, 03:24PM   #1
7T4TA

Arrow Parts-Car Advice required...

Hi:

I'm thinking about finding a parts car that has better doors & fenders than mine and hopefully has power door locks.

I found this one in the local paper but I was wondering if the doors & fenders are an exact match for a '74 t/a and if there would be any other usuable parts bodywise:

1981 PONTIAC FIREBIRD ,THIS a great parts no rust and no bondo all body parts are in mint shape,car has no motor or tranny,the rear end has 373 gears frame is in mint shape too $800.00. obo

What do you think?
Old 01-18-07, 04:43PM   #2
tweety
the blue canary

If it comes with title, I'd grab it for sure. There are a lot of other parts that will fit your car on it, and who knows what use you might find for the body later if you have room to store it.
Old 01-19-07, 03:39PM   #3
7T4TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety View Post
If it comes with title, I'd grab it for sure. There are a lot of other parts that will fit your car on it, and who knows what use you might find for the body later if you have room to store it.
So the doors & the fenders would be an exact fit?

If so, I think it would be totally worth it...
Old 01-19-07, 04:13PM   #4
Dens71TA

1981 doors are going to be different. The inner release handle and door structure was changed in 1975. Fenders would fit but a standard Firebird doesn't have air extractors. You could section in the good metal from the Firebird fenders to your T/A fenders.

For power door locks you need to find some from a '70-early 77 Firebird. Late 77-81 had the switch on the door panels and in '78 GM went to the crappy electric motor lock actuators. Your car is already partially wired for power door locks and rear window defog/defrost from the factory.
Old 01-22-07, 02:47PM   #5
7T4TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dens71TA View Post
1981 doors are going to be different. The inner release handle and door structure was changed in 1975. Fenders would fit but a standard Firebird doesn't have air extractors. You could section in the good metal from the Firebird fenders to your T/A fenders.

For power door locks you need to find some from a '70-early 77 Firebird. Late 77-81 had the switch on the door panels and in '78 GM went to the crappy electric motor lock actuators. Your car is already partially wired for power door locks and rear window defog/defrost from the factory.
Oh crap...

How the hell do you know all this stuff?

Yes, I could re-purpose my extractors but I guess it would be better to find 75 or older t/a so the doors would be the same at least.

Is there an aftermarket actuator available? I'm not worried about having a switch but I thought keyless entry would be cool because the alarm supports it.

Thank you so much for the info!