User Name
Password

" TURBO BUILDS " Post your Turbo build-Up or any that you have in process

sponser links

Old 10-11-09, 01:51PM   #16
baron_

turbos definitely quiet it down a little

But only a little
You're going to be as loud as a harley...

I haven't got a ticket yet, for it...but probably could if they wanted

And $369 for that pump isn't bad
Old 10-11-09, 05:24PM   #17
gearbanger

I don't want quiet, Harley would be fine. I could always stick and set of resonators between the frame rail and the quarter panels to knock the edge off if it is too loud.

So would that oil pump provide enough oil to twin hx 35s? Do you run a line back to the oil pan? Do most guys run an oil cooler when you have turbos?
gearbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-09, 10:41PM   #18
SPDMETL

IIRC, the pump was used instead of tapping into the engine. You could use a trans cooler easily enough. The link to the pump says 3 GPM...how many GPM does an engine pump ?
SPDMETL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-09, 12:29PM   #19
gearbanger

Since I am mounting in the rear, you don't use an oil pressure port from what I can understand. It is too far for the engine to pump it back to the turbos and back forward. The STS kits come with oil pumps to pump it throught he turbos and back to the front to the pan.

I am not sure what a typical oil pump would flow. I guess it just depends how loose the bearings as to how much flow you get at a given pressure. I guess if the motor is really tight, the pump would regulate the pressure and not be flowing very much, but if the motor was really loose it would be pumping all it could pump and may still not be able to maintain the pressure that it is regulated at.

I have read that some turbos don't like alot of oil and some guys have put devices in line to regulate the flow to them. I wonder if the turbo company would have a recommendation for oil flow for their turbos?
Old 10-12-09, 02:39PM   #20
baron_

It's a good question i've been thinking about

I have my HX35's plumbed off the oil sending unit. I've often wondered if I'm losing a lot of oil pressure in the motor, through those oil feed lines
So far though, no issues...

And yes, HX35's are low oil pressure turbos. Meaning, they do pretty well with our pontiacs. You try putting an HX35 on a honda or DSM vehicle that sees a lot more oil pressure in the engine and they won't like it at all. You'll need the restrictor

Lower oil pressure (40-60 is probably fine) and a big oil drain for holset turbos = good

If i were dead set on the rear setup...

I'd have one of those fancy smancy pumps feeding the turbos. I'd probably have a guage on the pump to see how much pressure is in the line...out of curiosity
And I'd have an oil catch below the turbos. Immediately below, if possible. Let the turbos drain via gravity directly into that reservoir....and have the single pump feeding out of it
Relatively simple, considering
Old 10-12-09, 10:44PM   #21
gearbanger

So you would put your oil reservoir below the turbos? That may present logistical problems. I would think a person would want a gallon or so of oil to go to the turbos alone. I don;t know if aeration of the oil is a problem so I dont know if the oil needs to go to a place and have time for the air to excape before being sent back in.

Would it be best to go from the reservoir to a cooler and then to the turbo or from the reservoir to the turbo and then to a cooler?

I got the book Turbo-Real World High Performance Turbocharger Systems tonight. Seems like it will be a good one. I chose it over some of the others be it has lots of tubo maps in it and it has the HX 35 map too. I have been finding it hard to get a look at that on in particular. The squirell site has two different maps for that same turbo, so I have no idea what that is about.
Old 10-13-09, 01:41AM   #22
baron_

Yup, below

And you're right. It creates aeration problems. They say the oil coming out is in a frothy state. You need time for it to thicken back up. But usually...that's just the return lines that'll do that.
With enough oil....as long as the pump doesn't run out, I think you'd be fine

I don't think that you would need a cooler? It's not like it's in the hot engine. I bet it'd be fine
Old 11-11-09, 01:36AM   #23
tininjun67

most of the rear mount systems use a pump to pull the oil away from the turbo(s). Pressurized oil from the engine feeds it (them). If you don't think the turbo will heat the oil any, try grabbing the turbine housing some time!!!!!!!!!! anytime you're spooling the turbos up you're building intense heat in the chra. I would not trust a remote oil set up for the turbos. I'd run oil from the engine to supply, then the electric pump for a return, just like the sts guys do.
tininjun67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-09, 08:42PM   #24
Firechicken
Draw-Thru Hold Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by tininjun67 View Post
most of the rear mount systems use a pump to pull the oil away from the turbo(s). Pressurized oil from the engine feeds it (them). If you don't think the turbo will heat the oil any, try grabbing the turbine housing some time!!!!!!!!!! anytime you're spooling the turbos up you're building intense heat in the chra. I would not trust a remote oil set up for the turbos. I'd run oil from the engine to supply, then the electric pump for a return, just like the sts guys do.
X2
Engine oil to feed the turbos and a scavenge pump to return to oil pan.
This will ensure the turbos get oil at correct pressure and at proper temperatures. Cold oil can be just as destructive as hot.

In car 1/8 mile pass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnyBVBcCxzg
Firechicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-09, 01:12PM   #25
Bruce Wilkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbanger View Post
I chose it over some of the others be it has lots of tubo maps in it and it has the HX 35 map too. I have been finding it hard to get a look at that on in particular. The squirell site has two different maps for that same turbo, so I have no idea what that is about.
If you wade thru here you can find a lot on the Holsets

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/turb...et-turbos.html.

There are different revisions to the HX35's and HY35's (compressor blade count etc.) hence the different maps. Personally I like the compressor map for a pair of 2003-2004.5 HY35's(stock 5.9 Cummins 2003-2004.5) on a 350 based Pontiac but would still be comfortable using a pair in a 400 cid application. Faaaat compressor map!
Bruce Wilkie is offline   Reply With Quote