PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> Low Compression Street Engine's & Tuning Techniques
User Name
Password

Low Compression Street Engine's & Tuning Techniques Idea's...How Too's on low compression Engines.

sponser links

Old 05-09-18, 09:37PM   #16
Mb125

BME rods and factory pontiac rod journal and I spin my 462 to 7000 rpm. Oil pressure still reads 60 psi at 7000 rpm after 5 years im using melling select oil pump and no fancy mods to crankshaft or block and .0032 rod bearing clearance.
Old 05-10-18, 02:36PM   #17
keith
Stubborn old goat

Thanks Gach .. I have 2 sets .. 6.66 and 6.64 c-c, BBC width, .990 pin, and sbc big end diameter. Not working first motor they will be used in yet but Bruce's schitzoid NR100 cam may team with my victor and some good heads to make that little Astre see some air like your GTO in a stock block 400/? conversion with them in it . Just talking cranks today.

Really I need to focus on Kool-Aid 444 and get-r-done. Am ordering 2 dual quad linkage setups Friday, the Mr Gasket plain jane and Edelbrock progressive to get my intake setup to the point I like so I can try on my mule motor in enduro car while Paul balances/cryo's my new Scat crank. Would like to find 2 older small pattern afb's to rebuild and try, to avoid having to use adaptors on my low-rise DQ if you have any hanging around tho.
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-18, 03:45PM   #18
keith
Stubborn old goat

Wow that's useful info to me Mb125. Thanks!! Longevity there with the BME's and factory crank. You are talking about a factory cast crank not forged right? Didn't know they had Pontiac journal BME's but assumed they might as mine appear to be custom sized as well. Guess your .032 rod bearing clearance is specified by him as "Minimum main and rod bearing vertical clearance .003" ... wasn't absolutely sure it meant oil clearance. You probably observed the other clearances .016 min side clearance, .0006 min pin clearance and .060 piston-head, rod-block,cam too.
Is the 462 a stock block and crank turning 7000RPM routinely? You must have some big heads to make power that high? Would lead me to believe reduction in bob weight enhances rpm capability significantly and more a factor in rod journals not going away. For me to use any of my straight Pontiac factory cranks and my BME rods I would have to reduce rod journals to sbc big end size so would go with larger than factory radius, offset or not, but its good to know a factory crank has lived long in a situation like yours so I might get away not going to that trouble.
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-18, 05:08PM   #19
Mb125

Kieth
I'm running a .030 over 1973 455 block
Factory cast 455 crank
20 cc dished pistons
Factory #16 D port heads
Compression ratio is 9.4:1
Solid flat tappet camshaft
The rod side clearance was within BME specifications