Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> Aftermarket News & Products
User Name
Password

sponser links

Old 05-19-09, 07:39PM   #1
BiLL32137

Default Jeggs - braided hose and fittings ????

Hey don't know if this was ever discussed and can't find anything with the search function...

Has anyone ever used the Jeggs brand braided hose and hose ends? Is it worth saving a few bucks buying 40 feet of that instead of Earls or Aeroquip? I don't remember off the top of my head but I think I figured I would save almost 100 bucks going with the Jeggs brand. Do you think I am gonna be sorry? My gut tells me you get what you pay for but my pocket says how bad could it be?

Lets here some experiences good or bad?!?!?
BiLL32137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-09, 08:41PM   #2
1964gtojeff
new combo imminent

the summit brand stuff seems ok but definately not aeroquip quality. I do have some jegs An fittings and these particular ones seem about the same quality as russel. Im guessing most of them are made in the same places.
1964gtojeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-09, 08:48PM   #3
69GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964gtojeff View Post
the summit brand stuff seems ok but definately not aeroquip quality. I do have some jegs An fittings and these particular ones seem about the same quality as russel. Im guessing most of them are made in the same places.
I've bought the Summit stuff and I won't do it again... they are not ok in my opinion, poor craftsmanship! I would go with the black nylon Russel hoses and don't worry about it.

9.25 best ET with 1.42 60
151 best mph
& 5.95/119 in the 1/8th
69GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-09, 10:31PM   #4
BiLL32137

Thanks for the comments guys... Lets get some more!!!

If the Jeggs stuff compares to Russell I would be satisfied. I am not building a Top Fuel car here... I have used Russell and Earls in the past and was satisfied. Can I assume its like comparing snap on tools to craftsman tools. Definitely a difference but if you aren't using them to earn a living are they worth it?!?!?

69GTO would you mind elaborating on the poor craftsmanship? I plan on using the Jeggs stainless braided hose and the red and blue hose ends. Did u have leaks? Someone did mention that the stainless braid wasn't as tight and the hose frayed while trying to cut it.

Thanks again!
Old 05-21-09, 12:41PM   #5
wmhjr

What are you using it for? I had some Jegs, some Summit, and some Russell. For this project I've got a spot where I reallyl want to be safe, so I got some from Fragola. The quality of the stuff from Fragola was WAY better than the first three. For stuff that was real easy to replace so I could keep an eye on it and replace it very easily, not as much of an issue.
wmhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-09, 02:44PM   #6
Josh69
Confirmed

I'm running Russell and Jeg's, can't tell a difference in fit or function.
Old 05-21-09, 08:47PM   #7
RAMAIR2U

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GTO View Post
I've bought the Summit stuff and I won't do it again... they are not ok in my opinion, poor craftsmanship!

X 2...had six of the Summit 8AN 90 degree, and all six leaked. PITA!!!
RAMAIR2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 08:07PM   #8
BiLL32137

hey whmjr I called and spoke to someone at fragola after checking out their web site but they have a thousand dollar minimum purchase. Are you running a top fuel car or something? Do you know of a vendor for their product? If not I found some aeroquip AQP hose that isn't much more than the jeggs and summit stuff. Thanks everyone!
Old 05-28-09, 08:27PM   #9
Gach
Administrator

Hum? my whole car is done with Russell...two trany lines to trans cooler..the whole fuel system. Two oil lines from the block to the O'Berg oil filter...fuel line up to fuel gage. It's all been in the car for ten years...well except the fuel system is all new. Probably $1000.00 in Russell hose and fittings.

Don't know the quality of the Summit stuff though
Old 05-28-09, 08:38PM   #10
t-bar

Summit stuff is not good quality. jegs is a little better.
Russell i have useed = good quality.. like gach said over ten years no problems.
I also have top of the line Earls no problems for over ten years..

As the old saying goes ,you get what you pay for..
My 2$
t-bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 08:44PM   #11
Gach
Administrator

Yeah...I would spend the extra $100.00 bucks and get the Russell.
Old 05-28-09, 09:12PM   #12
Ron Genovese
Drag Racer

I never used Jegs braided hose, but have bought Jeg's brand parts in the past and they make some cheap ass crap! If it says Jeg's, steer clear!
Old 05-28-09, 09:25PM   #13
t-bar

I have had good luck with some Jeg brand parts. but not Summit brand??
t-bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 10:34PM   #14
BiLL32137

I used Earls for my oil lines and have no complaints. I have been thinking about this and listening to everyone and agree it isn't enough of a savings to gamble with the Jegg's stuff.

I am figuring on 20' of -8 for my feed and 20' -10 for the return. I am sure the scraps will come in handy somewhere. I probably would have stayed away from this BG pump I got if I would have heard the oppinions of you guys sooner but I might as well see what happens now...

I guess 1000 bucks in hose and fittings is easy to reach... I was just thinking about the fuel system.
Old 06-05-09, 04:14AM   #15
Iceman

I've used Jeg's brand fittings and hose -08 for my fuel system and have good luck after a year. Not sure on the Summit stuff as I don't shop there much any more. I have found that Jegs's brand stuff is pretty decent, depending what your trying to accomplish with it. I 'only' have a low 11, high 10 second 3800 lb street car(GTO), so these products serve me well. I'll buy more fittings and hose as builds continue, I have had great success with their min-starters and electric fuel pumps, fuel filters, wiring, switches. Great catalog also and the service....Hard to beat and yes, I do support my local speed shops when I can, just not much Poncho stuff there and the funny look is worth it sometimes...With times being as hard as they are, I'm fortunate to be able to have a car(s) and be able to contribute to the constant improvement and stretch the ever dis-appearing dollar as far as possible.....Mike
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote