PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Restoration and General Tech
> 1942 to 1957 Pontiac Forum & Registry
User Name
Password

1942 to 1957 Pontiac Forum & Registry Topics pertaining to 1942 - 1957 models.

sponser links

Old 11-28-10, 04:06PM   #1
Chieftain_57

Default Power brakes and -steering on 57 Pontiac

I'm working on my '57 Chieftain and would like to install a power booster on the firewall. For some reason the manual brake cylinder is at floorlevel, and the heater is where the power booster usually sits.
Any suggestions? Where was the power booster on the original cars, as they had a hanging brake pedal.
And where was the heater?
Also if you have any thoughts or ideas about the power steering gear, I'd like some help. I'm planning on using an eighties Caprice steeringcolumn, and maybe the gear from the same car... Any thoughts?
Chieftain_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-10, 03:26AM   #2
Pontiac Jack
M/T Hemi Guru

Look for posts by Bill Eveland over on PY forums. I believe he's done what you're doing.
Pontiac Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-10, 01:33PM   #3
Bill Eveland

You'll have to give up the factory defroster,and buy an aftermarket assembly or piece together something. I'm using a 55 chevy hanging pedel assembly with a Dodge 5th ave mc (same as the popular Wilwood mc) and no booster.

The factory booster was under the dash next to the pedel, but not worth trying to find one and have it rebuilt IMO.

A Gm "605" box can be adapted to make to work if thats what on your doner car. Does the gearbox have a round top plate?
Bill Eveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-11, 04:54AM   #4
pontirag

be very carefull that NO PART OF THE BRAKE SYSTEM HANG LOWER THAN THE FRAME! Just had a friend wrech his 47 pontiac when the brakes failed. He had the booster hanging too low....below the frame. He pulled up into a parking lot and scraped the booster, ripped it out from its bracket. Brakes failed and he cruised slo mo into a parked car.
pontirag is offline   Reply With Quote