> Engine Tech Discussion - Street or Strip
User Name
Password

Old 10-01-17, 07:24PM   #16
Dragncar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pard View Post
Thanks...I'll check it out.
You wont like the prices on those bend over heads either.
The intakes, yikes. Then the valve covers, stud girdle, gaskets. All have to be bought from them.
The best bang for the buck head guy out there is Dave Wilcox at H&M Airflow Dynamics. Look it up.
Dragncar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17, 10:04PM   #17
Pard

Heard the casting were real good, was going to check them out, until I saw this on Facebook
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3822.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	29278  
Pard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17, 10:12PM   #18
Pard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
You wont like the prices on those bend over heads either.
The intakes, yikes. Then the valve covers, stud girdle, gaskets. All have to be bought from them.
The best bang for the buck head guy out there is Dave Wilcox at H&M Airflow Dynamics. Look it up.
Thanks I'll check them out
Pard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17, 10:40PM   #19
Gach
Administrator

WOW! $7000.00 and their junk ! Those are Calvin Hill Fusion or what ever Ports. BES says the casting are toast !

Wonder if Rolling Raceing going to make good on those casting.
Old 10-11-17, 03:25PM   #20
wheelsup 72

Apparently them Vs are rocker arm breaking sobs. lol 12 sec, rocker arm breaking sobs. lol Looks like me and a couple of friends are testing in Sacramento this Saturday. The weather is supposed to cool off some finally and we need to get away from all the smoke in our area from the big fires burning out of control in my home town. Looking to run some 9.70s with my stock stroke 455, solid flat tappet , Kre 305 d ports and 950 carb on e85. . I put a new motor in my friends Chevelle so were lookin to break that car into the 8s as it has already gone 9.09 144. The 3rd car going is a 66 olds 442 that I built the Oldsmobile engine, 350 tranny and 12 bolt rearend. This is a pump gas car that runs 9.80s on 87 oct fuel.
wheelsup 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 07:18PM   #21
Dragncar

Can you tell me more about the Olds build. I like Olds, if I did not race Pontiacs I would race Olds. They are a large size block so that should leave you plenty of room for high performance stuff. Inline valves like us too. They just got a aftermarket block I hear. You dont hear of many Pontiacs running 9.80s on 87 octane.
Old 10-12-17, 02:13PM   #22
wheelsup 72

Quote:
Can you tell me more about the Olds build. I like Olds, if I did not race Pontiacs I would race Olds. They are a large size block so that should leave you plenty of room for high performance stuff. Inline valves like us too. They just got a aftermarket block I hear. You dont hear of many Pontiacs running 9.80s on 87 octane.
Its a 455 block with billet 2 bolt caps and a Dick Miller stud Griddle. Crank is a forged 425 crank that was welded up and offset ground to 4.500 stroke . We used Oliver 7.100 big block chevy rods and dished JE pistons with a 1.5 1.5 3.0 ring pack. The heads are Bulldogs and they flow 350 at .600 lift. We run a custom hydrallic roller, specs are 266/274 @.050 640 lift. He shifts this car at 5800 and traps at the same. Compression is 9 to 1. Best pass to date is 9.84 135
Old 10-12-17, 07:40PM   #23
Gach
Administrator

Thatís a nice easy on parts combo
Old 10-13-17, 08:01PM   #24
Dragncar

So far that RAV combo has not shown much. 60 foot, ET or MPH. Snapped the top right off that Harland Sharp. It said forged, but I wonder if that was not just "extruded". Its kinda like forging, but not really. Why would a billet rocker be any stronger than a "forging".
The only real forged aluminum rocker I know of, one that is forged just like a BME rod was the old Sig Erson aluminum rocker. Extruded means material was pushed through a die to a shape. Like aluminum window frames, or copper wire. A lot of rockers are made the same way.
Not the same thing as a true forging. A real forging should be stronger than a billet that is just machined to shape vs heated up and hammered to shape.
Old 10-13-17, 10:08PM   #25
JSPONT

That motor is low compression set up for boost. With 8.5 compression I think it runs well.
JSPONT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 02:30AM   #26
Dragncar

I have just over half a point more CR than him,10.90s
Old 10-14-17, 09:21AM   #27
RAIV-Z

Quote:
So far that RAV combo has not shown much. 60 foot, ET or MPH. Snapped the top right off that Harland Sharp. It said forged, but I wonder if that was not just "extruded". Its kinda like forging, but not really. Why would a billet rocker be any stronger than a "forging".
The only real forged aluminum rocker I know of, one that is forged just like a BME rod was the old Sig Erson aluminum rocker. Extruded means material was pushed through a die to a shape. Like aluminum window frames, or copper wire. A lot of rockers are made the same way.
Not the same thing as a true forging. A real forging should be stronger than a billet that is just machined to shape vs heated up and hammered to shape.
It wasn't a forged aluminum rocker, the Harland sharp rocker was extruded aluminum. The billet's replacing them have additional material added where the extruded aluminum rocker broke.

Special thanks to:
Len Caverly Engine Dyno Service
Mike Hall Hallís Custom Race Cars
Don Johnston DCI Motorsports Designer of the NEW DCI Pontiac Ram Air V Heads
RAIV-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 01:42PM   #28
67'7f6'bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup 72 View Post
Apparently them Vs are rocker arm breaking sobs. lol 12 sec, rocker arm breaking sobs. lol Looks like me and a couple of friends are testing in Sacramento this Saturday. The weather is supposed to cool off some finally and we need to get away from all the smoke in our area from the big fires burning out of control in my home town. Looking to run some 9.70s with my stock stroke 455, solid flat tappet , Kre 305 d ports and 950 carb on e85. . I put a new motor in my friends Chevelle so were lookin to break that car into the 8s as it has already gone 9.09 144. The 3rd car going is a 66 olds 442 that I built the Oldsmobile engine, 350 tranny and 12 bolt rearend. This is a pump gas car that runs 9.80s on 87 oct fuel.
My/This street car set up for a Supercharger, 8.5 to 1 for compression, Supercharger Cam, 3.50 gears, 3500 converter. The supercharger is forthcoming. My goal is to have a reliable pump gas, supercharged combination. The 1967 Firebird, 3700lbs, in NA form will most likely run in the low elevens. Once Supercharged, the chassis will limit my ET. The engine runs great, Harland will also make me STEEL Rockers, available in a few months.
67'7f6'bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-17, 09:45PM   #29
wheelsup 72

Reliable, Well your $20,000 400 hp motor is already breaking parts, So i suggest you throw another 2000. 00 g s on another set of rockers. Theres a thread on Yellow bullet where you say its a 9 to 1 motor, I guess your confused. So put a blower on it and it still wont make that great of power without over driving the blower and then you will need to run race gas. All the talk of these ram air V motors making 800 on pump gas are needing blowers I guess to meet their goal. That combo is out to lunch, what kind of Street motor needs to be spun to 7500 to make power. My wifes street driven at the time smallblock dodge dart ran 11.50s on pump gas with a 360 motor, ported steel heads and solid flat tappet cam and she drove that car every where. We had about 4000. 00 in the motor. How fast would it have gone with a blower?
Old 10-18-17, 03:05PM   #30
wheelsup 72

Quote:
Heres a pic of my friends Oldsmobile.