Engine Tech
> EFI Tech and Tuning Info
User Name
Password

EFI Tech and Tuning Info This section for the traditional Pontiac V8

Old 11-18-16, 07:45PM   #1
marks73ta

Default Using LS coils with Megasquirt3 Pro

I'm setting up my MS3 Pro to run coil on plug ignition. I'm seeing that LS coils use an "igniter"??? Can someone tell me what an igniter is, how it works and do I need them with factory LS coils. Or. if I use aftermarket LS type coils, such as MSD coils, do I still need the an igniter. Can I run a 12v source to an LS coil, then the MS3 ignition wire for the specific coil back tot he MS3 and be done with it? I can't seem to get anywhere understanding this. Thank you for any help.

Mark
Old 11-24-16, 09:05PM   #2
turbo louie

Mark just call MSD ...
Old 11-25-16, 11:41AM   #3
marks73ta

Come on Charlie--that's such a simple answer-- do you really think I would have actually done such a thing--LOL!!! I've been doing research and it looks like you can use the LS truck coils with a heat sink in the bottom (versus the car LS coils with out the heat sink) which may indicate the igniters are in the coil??? Still not sure. I guess I should just call/contact MSD and ask them. I got a set of LS truck coils off of a 5.3 LS engine my son is sitting on but they don't have the heat sink either. So I don't know if someone switched the coils, the coils have an igniter but no heat sink blah blah blah. I'll get it all figured out and I'll be a step closer.

Mark
Old 01-30-17, 04:23AM   #4
KrisR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks73ta View Post
I'm setting up my MS3 Pro to run coil on plug ignition. I'm seeing that LS coils use an "igniter"??? Can someone tell me what an igniter is, how it works and do I need them with factory LS coils. Or. if I use aftermarket LS type coils, such as MSD coils, do I still need the an igniter. Can I run a 12v source to an LS coil, then the MS3 ignition wire for the specific coil back tot he MS3 and be done with it? I can't seem to get anywhere understanding this. Thank you for any help.

Mark
Hey Mark, did you sort this out?

If not, yes with the LS coils you just run 4 wires to the coil.
  • Switched/fused 12V
  • Engine Ground
  • Sensor Ground from MS3
  • IGN Trigger from MS3

LS coils have internal ignitors built into the coil so you don't need to worry about running a big transistor to fire the coil - the older MS's ran a big VB921 coil driver where LS coils have this as apart of the package so the ECU just needs to send a 0.5V square wave to make it go bang.

If you take a look at the PDF (https://www.ampefi.com/_downloads/ms...nual_1.4.1.pdf) on section 4.6.3 that should give you the pinouts on the coil and all you need to do is wire accordingly. I'm running LS coils on my 400 with an MS3X for quite a while now and even broke my alternator belt at the drag strip yesterday so my dwell was 5.5ms due to loss of charge circuit and it still made a reasonable pass on battery.

If you need a hand with it, flick me a PM.

Kris
Old 02-06-17, 10:05PM   #5
marks73ta

Kris. Thanks for the info and experience. Yes, I've already bought MSD truck coils, a set of custom coil mounts, and installed them on my firewall. I di figure out all of the wiring and have that completed also. I bought a small 6 post wiring fuse box and ran individual fused power sources to each bank of coils and injectors (one source for the left coil pack, one for the left injector set, one for the right coil pack and one for the right injector set). I'm pretty sure I have it all set correctly but will not know for sure until start up day. I'm just now figuring out how to wire up the hall effect sensor for the crank trigger wheel. It look like I need a (can't think of the damn name of the electronic thingy-ma-jig that may have to go between the wires????). But I'll get it figured out. Getting there. Slow but sure.
Old 03-27-17, 02:34AM   #6
KrisR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks73ta View Post
(can't think of the damn name of the electronic thingy-ma-jig that may have to go between the wires????).
Pull-up resister?