Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Restoration and General Tech
> Transmission TECH
User Name
Password

sponser links

Old 12-05-18, 10:22AM   #16
JSPONT

It does make sense, that is why I asked that. So when you pick a converter company, (I would pick one close to where you live) let them know the street driving is more important than the drag strip. Do a search on yellow bullet in the tranny section. A lot of info on converter companies.
I am happy with my PTC.
Turbo cars are very tricky. My converter is so tight on the street because the on motor the car has 1/2 the h.p. and torque. On boost it loosen's the converter up real quick. Since you are N/A once the converter is dialed in you are good.
Keep us posted, let us know who you used and the results. Good luck, love the car, cool build!
JSPONT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-18, 12:58PM   #17
JHanko

Thanks. I'm going to call a few places today. I will definitely narrow it down to companies that include a free re-stall. I figure there are 2 ways I can do this. The first would be to chose a converter that best matches the motor's torque curve, vehicle weight and rear end ratio. This would really shine at the track and be a real tire burner on the streets. At first glance this seems like the obvious choice and I will find the setups full potential (or very close). The downside to this could be really bad street manners, but I could have the converter tightened up if I find the "throttle hunting" on the street unbearable. The second option would be to select a good stall for the street and enjoy driving the car. This sounds like a good option too, but I can see myself going insane, constantly thinking about what the car could do if it had the "right" converter. I could always send the converter in to have it loosened up if I find this combination too boring. What's worse: Choosing option 1 and losing what you had, or going with option 2 and not knowing what you could have? This is probably going to be the most difficult decision I have have to make with the car.

My gut is telling me: "F*ck it. Get the high stall converter, so you can get the most out all this money you're putting in the car. You're not going to get that tire off the ground with a sissy street converter".

Thanks for all the guidance so far.

Last edited by JHanko : 12-05-18 at 01:48PM.
JHanko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-18, 02:46PM   #18
Gach
Administrator

Go for it !
Old 12-05-18, 03:38PM   #19
JHanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
Do a search on yellow bullet in the tranny section. A lot of info on converter companies.
Searching this section for yellow bullet comes up with nothing except your post.
Old 12-05-18, 04:31PM   #20
JSPONT

I'll try and find the link later for ya. One quick item. Some converter guys think a Pontiac and a BBC will make a converter act the same way. The converter I got was for a turbo bbc making 1500 h.p. They said it would not work for my car well. I took a chance since I got a deal on it and it came with an extra looser stator. It is tight on motor. When I put my car on the transbrake and make boost (also have my two step set @ 4500) It is at 4500 rpm in less than 2 seconds at full spool. I think it is the torque of the Pontiac and how low in the rpm it makes it.
Old 12-05-18, 06:12PM   #21
JHanko

Just got off the phone with Butler. They have dyno'd several motors with this displacement, compression ratio and cam combination. They recommended a 3500 stall, with 3000 being the absolute minimum. Peak torque will be at 4000-4500, but torque will still be huge at 3500. Looks like it's going to be a 10" 3500...
Old 12-05-18, 07:13PM   #22
JSPONT

cool.
Old 12-05-18, 07:29PM   #23
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHanko View Post
Just got off the phone with Butler. They have dyno'd several motors with this displacement, compression ratio and cam combination. They recommended a 3500 stall, with 3000 being the absolute minimum. Peak torque will be at 4000-4500, but torque will still be huge at 3500. Looks like it's going to be a 10" 3500...
Thatís exactly what I figure 3500-3800.
Old 12-05-18, 07:43PM   #24
JHanko

I was also told that it will take approximately 2500 rpm to move from a red light. Ouch! The price we pay for performance...
Old 12-05-18, 09:54PM   #25
Gach
Administrator

Yes it is, but itís not bad concidering itíll most likely idel at 800-900. Maybe a 1000 in gear. If it was a daily driver then it might be annoying. But having 600 hp is well worth it.
Old Yesterday, 12:58AM   #26
JHanko

It's funny. I remember commenting that a $2000 bolt together convertor was not in the budget. I'm finding that a good 10" 3500 stall welded lockup converter will not be much cheaper...
Old Yesterday, 02:37AM   #27
Gach
Administrator

Nothing cheap anymore. Unfortunately
Old Yesterday, 02:43PM   #28
JSPONT

For about $800 you should be able to get a good weld together that will work real well
Old Today, 01:44AM   #29
JHanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
For about $800 you should be able to get a good weld together that will work real well
I can't find a 10", 3500 stall lock up converter anywhere near that price.