PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
General
> New Pontiac Friends
User Name
Password

New Pontiac Friends NEW MEMBERS! - Introduce yourself, tell us about your car, and post a pic of it.

sponser links

Old 12-01-18, 06:25PM   #1
JHanko

Default New member checking in...

Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been out of the muscle car scene for 30 years or so and decided to dive back in. I grew up with Chevelles and Camaros, so I didn't want to take that route again. I always thought the 1st gen Firebird was a gorgeous car, but never thought to own one... until now. I recently got a nicely restored 68 Firebird 400. It was originally a TH400 car, but a previous owner converted to a 4 speed. I am changing it back to auto. This car brings back lots of memories of my youth. I just love it.
The car will be going through some major changes this winter/spring and I'm really excited. Just waiting for parts to start rolling in, so the work can begin. The transplant will consist of a AI-II 535, 200 4R transmission and Moser 12 bolt rear end with 3.55 gears. I'm sure I'll have many questions along the way. I guess the biggest challenge will be to install all this stuff without damaging that beautiful paint job...

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Firebird.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	29530  
JHanko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-18, 07:29PM   #2
Gach
Administrator

Nice bird ! IA11 AWESOME! You making it a pump gas motor !
Old 12-01-18, 10:11PM   #3
KINGPIN
Kansas Farm Boy

wow, love it. keep posting, I would love to build a big cube IAII eventually.
KINGPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-18, 10:30PM   #4
JHanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
Nice bird ! IA11 AWESOME! You making it a pump gas motor !
Yes, building a nice street sleeper. 10.25:1. Ported D port E heads. Big lift Comp hyd roller w/114 LS. Scorpion 1.65 rockers. Probably going with EZ EFI. Intake is still undecided, but must fit under stock hood. Long branch cast iron manifolds with somewhat quiet mufflers. I know I'll be choking off the the top end of this motor, but really don't want to deal with headers and loud mufflers any more. Probably going to lose 100hp going this route. We'll see how it goes. I can always open up the intake and exhaust later if I get the itch.
Old 12-01-18, 10:47PM   #5
KINGPIN
Kansas Farm Boy

I hear ya. I went ram air exhaust manifolds this time. more docile to deal with. the mini starter issues I had this last time did it for me. but mostly i'm just going to be driving my car now rather than racing. still plenty of power though!

anyway nice car. recently had a 67 455 4 speed. loved it. post plenty of pics of your build.
KINGPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-18, 01:20AM   #6
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHanko View Post
Yes, building a nice street sleeper. 10.25:1. Ported D port E heads. Big lift Comp hyd roller w/114 LS. Scorpion 1.65 rockers. Probably going with EZ EFI. Intake is still undecided, but must fit under stock hood. Long branch cast iron manifolds with somewhat quiet mufflers. I know I'll be choking off the the top end of this motor, but really don't want to deal with headers and loud mufflers any more. Probably going to lose 100hp going this route. We'll see how it goes. I can always open up the intake and exhaust later if I get the itch.
I like it, itíll still make good hp 550-600. Maybe more you never know. and a ton of Torque! We just finish IA11 pump gas motor. With a set of Dave Wilcox E-heads.
Old 12-04-18, 01:01AM   #7
JHanko

Well, a small box of parts showed up today and the 12 bolt rear end is arriving tomorrow. I guess I'll start a build progress thread. Should I put this in the "Engine buildups in progress" or "Member's projects in progress"? It is not a restoration and more than an engine build.
Old 12-04-18, 10:19AM   #8
JSPONT

Welcome, cool car, looks sweet. Exhaust manifolds noooooooooooooo, gonna kill some power with a big cam you said you were going to use. Might want to talk to the engine builder and let him know, he might choose a different cam that would work better.
JSPONT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-18, 11:38AM   #9
JHanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
Might want to talk to the engine builder and let him know, he might choose a different cam that would work better.
Engine builder is aware of exactly what I am doing.
Old 12-04-18, 02:33PM   #10
JSPONT

You will be fine then. My friend has a 80 Vette. Small block, q jet exhaust manifolds. Runs 9.7. He did do a lot of work to them porting wise.
JSPONT is online now   Reply With Quote