Engine Tech
> Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Forced Induction This section for the traditional Pontiac V8

sponser links

Old 08-17-09, 12:13PM   #1
flynbrian

Default I went back to the track again...

I took the Monte to the track again...

This time the transmission performed flawlessly and the car ran good. But the traction was seriously limited and the heat was Oppressive.

I ran on stock style street tires. But I had a spool this time...Man I think I was better off with the drag radials on single track. Because traction was better that way.

I ran a 13.90 at 102 this time...But people told me I was smoking my tires to the 330' and once it hooked I really got it moving. I had gathered quite a crowd and a few guys offered to let me try their slicks the next time I go to the track.

I was leaving at about 5 inches of vacumn and really steadily rolling into the throttle but it still spun alot.

I lowered the tire pressures, lowered the air shock pressure, they prepped the track a little better at one point and I was doing as little burnout as possible to dry the tires and not get them greasy. The track people even seemed to really get a kick out of my car.

After about 3 runs in a row I stopped and cooled the car down...People came over in droves to see what the heck was going on with this car. It was big fun. I am told even with my open downpipe the car just whistles down the track and is pretty quiet. There is no engine smoke or black smoke. The AFR's were in the 11's low 12's with 92 octane pump gas and 20 degree's timing.

The engine ran smooth and flawlessly...Although I changed jetting in the primary before going to the track, started the car and it backfired and now I have a nasty off idle hesitation, Did I blow a powervalve? I have to look it over...I dont think the float bowl was filled yet when it popped back through the intake.

I dont have a tach but that stock engine wants to rev to the moon with the turbo on it! wasnt sure when to shift... But I wound it up pretty tight a couple times.

The car felt awesome once the tires finally hooked up. pulled like a plane on takeoff!
flynbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 12:55PM   #2
Gach
Administrator

Get rid of the air stocks, there one of the worse
things you could use, because they don't plant the
tires, just bounce up and down and course wheel hop.
Old 08-17-09, 01:47PM   #3
flynbrian

It did try wheel hopping pretty good in the burnout box and drying the tires off after I decided burnouts were not doing the old street radials not a darn bit of good. I lowered the pressure down to where they were doing very little of anything.

After the pressure was let waay down the car at around 500 feet down the track was squatting really low in the back end. The front end was pulled up real high too. The car is really big so the look I'm sure is exaggerated a bit too. I did get better traction once I let the tires down to about 30 psi. I was told a long time ago that street radials actually worked better with higher pressure than lower...I tried it first 2-3 passes were at 43 PSI...That didnt work. Once I lowered it to 30 PSI it helped alot more but still didnt have a prayer of a chance to hook.

A buddy of mine has some slicks mounted up on 10" weld wheels they only have a few passes on them. He said I can borrow them they are about 27-28" tall.

I will try them next time....I would like very much to be able to leave on about 5+ pounds of boost...And hook. I think the sensation would be awesome.

Should I un-hook the huge front swaybar?

Oh and this time I had the heavy Poly-Cast steel wheels on the car with the molded rubber to make them look like mags...These wheels and tires weigh a absolute ton over the welds I sold that were on the car...I'm sure that slowed me down alot. Honestly I think one wheel and tire weighs close to 50 pounds.
Old 08-17-09, 02:02PM   #4
flynbrian

I changed my jetting before going to richen it up a little. Now I have nasty off idle hesitation like my accelerator pump isnt working right.
When I started the car it backfired and the float bowl wasnt filled up yet. It must have popped something because if you tromp on the gas at a idle now it will just about die or will die, if I bring up the rpm's 400-500 more than a idle it doesnt try to die at all.

Maybe I screwed up a gasket somewhere too....Like a minor air leak? But it idles steady and fine. Just when the throttle is tickled does it try die then after modulating it with my foot a time or two it usually takes off fine. But if I'm not careful it stalls.

I also had a trunk full of stuff and a half tank of gas when I made my runs, Cooler with ice & pop, toolbox, 5 fold-up camping chairs,spare parts & cleaning supplies.

I need to go weigh the car and see how bad it really is weight wise. I know its heavy but I took out alot of weight. I also weigh 355 pounds and I'm 6' 3"
Old 08-19-09, 02:37AM   #5
baron_

your car certainly feels stronger than a 13.9 car

I'm sure you'll get that down substantially

I already forget the website of the page where there's pictures of our cars. What was it?
Old 08-21-09, 03:44PM   #6
flynbrian

www.bangshift.com under the general discussion "Franklin car show pictures" Most of the way through the pictures it lists "Now the turbo cars"

Then a little farther down there is a tastefull bashing of Pontiac guys for overdoing the show plaques and showing pictures of the car that is already right in front of them...I got a kick out of because its true. Pontiac show car guys- tend to make me roll eye's and chastise them.

Yeah I really think the Monte is a 12' something second car....Just needs sorting out alot more. But, it is going faster, every pass at the track. So I was doing something right.
Thanks for the wheels the other night, They will really improve the look of the car. I will get you paid up soon as I got it. I been pricing BFG T/A tires and seen from $89 for a 255/70/15 to $125 for a 275/60/15...But I really want the 275's for my street tires.

I found 27" by 8" slicks for $50 a pair....They are roundy round tires with lots of life left very sticky when hot!!! I know a guy with 6 tires at the moment.

I cant afford the tires yet, so I'll keep looking.
Old 08-22-09, 12:45AM   #7
turbo69BIRD

the womans face in the picture of barons car is priceless!

Love that red GTO with the torque thrusts.

And tell me that pantera isnt screaming TURBO ME!
turbo69BIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-09, 12:31PM   #8
flynbrian

Yeah there was lots of people freaking out over the turbo cars...Clay's and my car were being talked about all over.

Saturday night a younger kid told us he liked big cars but drives little rice junk because pressure from other people his age. Now that he's seen our big Amercian turbo cars with carburetors he wants to build one too. He asked if there were more around besides our two. I said yes there are lots of others, But not around here.

Clay and I are about the only two cars around our area homebuilt.

We been getting a ton of attention when the cars are out running around. My car is sleeping in the garage with a flat tire for now....Bills come first.
Old 10-23-09, 06:57PM   #9
flynbrian

And again I went to the track on Saturday.......................And broke it.
Old 10-23-09, 07:06PM   #10
flynbrian

This time I still had the street tires but they were new, BFG 275/60/15 Radial t/a's The car was running well and had a solid 10-12 pounds of boost.

The air temps were cooler than last time. I just had the 3.42 gear installed in my rear axle and the car was run just enough to break in the gear.

My first pass was a 13.45 @ 105.5 and the 60' was only 2.206...Oh and this time the swaybar was gone too.

The track surface was very cold and they didnt do any prep. I couldnt spool the car on the line or it would just spin bad. So i basically left on the idle. So I'm sure traction was down from the last time I went to the track.

at about 60' I could hammer it pretty good.

The second pass it ran a 14.14, I blew the tires off.

The third pass it ran a 13.46 also spinning but the rearend jerked sideways on the big end a couple times and let out a squak.

I stopped at the pits and gear oil started pouring out of the housing at the passenger rear wheel.

It seems the bearing & seal failed pretty bad on the brand new C-clip eliminator....POOP!

Thats the end of that day and even though it was half a second faster than last time I expected a little more. + I never got time to really tune on it at all.
Old 10-23-09, 07:37PM   #11
turbo69BIRD

thats BIG car and little motor.

Sounds like it wants to run much harder than it is and I am sure you'll get it there soon.
Old 10-27-09, 03:16PM   #12
flynbrian

Yeah, I called Moser this morning and they are going to make good on the Ruined c-clip eliminator and the bearing. I'm driving over to their shop tomorrow and they are fixing it while I wait.

The little stock (Bone stock) 350 is still running well. And the fubar'd turbo with the broken blades on the compressor is still working very well. I'm gonna keep running it till it breaks or just flat wont make boost anymore.

Next time I am putting the boost controller on it and turning it up to at least 15 PSI. To make that little engine a little bigger.

Everyone is starting to be impressed that a stock 350 is pushing that 73-77 G-body up to those speeds and times with true street tires.
Old 10-27-09, 03:17PM   #13
flynbrian

My friends 2000 Corvette dont want none! He admitted it at work...
Old 10-27-09, 03:23PM   #14
turbo69BIRD

keep turning it up little by little and you'll get that thing running fast. It takes time.