> Transmission TECH
User Name
Password

sponser links

Old 06-10-16, 06:39AM   #1
keith
Stubborn old goat

Default Ford AOD - 66 389 ??

Was thinking I saw adaptor plates to install the more modern Ford AOD trans to BOP and wondered whether anyone here has done so with good results. Supposedly a valve body kit available that makes the OD trans not need a computer and gives a 1-2-d-od gear pattern vs 1-d-od as well. Sounds fishy not sure where other gear would come from. 90-93 trans specific?, am junking a 91 Gran marquis and was going to possibly save motor and trans, trans for my Star Chief as both trans and engine in it need freshening. AOD might improve performance and mpg. Scratched 20mpg avg with AOD in original application. Similar weights. Will have to dig some more to see if feasible.
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 12:20PM   #2
Pontiac Dude
Engine Builder

Red face

They were the Pinto of transmissions. Had a 97 Ford Exploder and they never could get it fixed and sold it. Do a search on the net before u decide top go this route.

https://www.facebook.com/kensautomachineshop/
Pontiac Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-16, 10:40PM   #3
keith
Stubborn old goat

Well may not have been the best of ideas, seems like alot of kits available for them and they seem to be supported by the ford crowd. My ford buddy said they could be converted to GM with adaptor kit and upgraded by a simple valve body change. I just liked the idea of OD and actually have one. Will probably remove and keep to sell or trade. 66 Star Chief 3-spd auto tranny felt fragile, not sure what it is or if parts are still available to rebuild it. It looks original, as everything else is. Seats still nice in car but mice got in the headliner that was perfect last winter dang it. Motor needs rebuild compression low.
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-16, 02:11PM   #4
Mb125

This has been done on 1000hp chevy with an adapter. Works fine.
Old 07-02-16, 03:59AM   #5
sprint250
Moteesuh

It is not an old "Slim Jim" 3speed "ROTO HYDRAMATIC" 375RHM those were only in production from 1961 to 1964 (they were that bad)
The 375RHM's were not noted for their strength and were nothing but trouble even under normal driving wear & tear.
66 big car should be 3spd 400THM (Turbo 400)
300THM was two speed BOP version of the power glide. Not sure if those were even an option on a big car.
350THM & 375THM did not show up until later.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
1000 hp with stock AOD internals? LOL

C4's have a detachable bell so if an aftermarket adapter bell is available it be can fit up behind most anything. Is AOD same way? .I've never used one?

I know the stock E4OD was/is a P.O.S. . Under hard use the input shaft will tear the splines right out of the aluminum planetary housing hub.Blew one up on an F-250 towing up a grade on race day.Automatic downshift & bang! no forward speeds. Would never had expected that on a Ford truck.Not a fun day.
Transmission shop said nothing but failures there,especially on trucks.
Only cure was to put after market steel bodied planetary sets in.

Ford would not sell a re-manufactured E4OD trans with the all steel planetary sets installed but they would sell the steel planetary sets separately for installation in same trans.
Ridiculous!

Last edited by sprint250 : 07-02-16 at 04:34AM.
sprint250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 12:35PM   #6
Mb125

FB got it all figured out. Few guy's in NY running AOD behind high horse power engines
Old 07-02-16, 02:28PM   #7
JSPONT

That was before GM can out with the 480.
JSPONT is online now   Reply With Quote