Engine Tech
> Engine Tech Discussion - Street or Strip
User Name
Password

sponser links

Old 06-27-17, 09:05PM   #46
Gach
Administrator

Rich..lets say the cam suppose to in at 108 you check it and find it's in at 112-110, well that explains why your 60's suck ! and you have no bottom end. So you pull 4 degrees timming out and it ran cooler. That's telling you something right there. Make sure the new MSD disb is lock in and your total timming all in by 1500 rpms. There's a whole procedure for tunning a car if you miss one step you'll be chasing your tail. 425 hp rear wheel...no way maybe flywheel.

After you put in the line lock, What rpm are you leaving the starting line at ? Are you still leaving off idle ? Because your 60's suck ! I wish you could post those time slips, they tell a whole story.
Old 06-27-17, 09:16PM   #47
turbo louie

If your going to spend the time dialing it in by running it at the track turning up an down the timing , changing the jets for good a/r. Then you should of spent the same time and effort degreeing the cam in too. Makes the best sense for optimization for your combo..... Everything step in a row. No skipping steps ..
Old 06-27-17, 09:26PM   #48
ta man

I totally agree with degreeing the cam.Its a must on a performance build install it on the recommended ICL.With your gearing and convertor I'd expect to see low 1.6's at least..for 60fts.

My last 2 cams I've had to advance to install as per recommended ICL.
ta man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-17, 10:37PM   #49
Mr.Pontiac

1.68 getting close don,t you think,???? I am open minded. listening. alot of what ifs???
Mr.Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-17, 11:47PM   #50
turbo louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta man View Post
I totally agree with degreeing the cam.Its a must on a performance build install it on the recommended ICL.With your gearing and convertor I'd expect to see low 1.6's at least..for 60fts.

My last 2 cams I've had to advance to install as per recommended ICL.
I just degreed my 114 cam. they wanted it installed on a 110 . I had to retard it 6 degrees to get it there. Point is you just never know what you got unless you check it ..
Old 06-27-17, 11:55PM   #51
tjs44
Ram Air V Guru

MPH to weight is the best way to figure HP.Suspension has so much to affect ET.Tom
tjs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-17, 01:16AM   #52
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Gach, you know ill 95% AGREE WITH YOU but such a big deal about degreeimg in a cam, May i say lets just asume its perfect right now and everything id buttoned back-up, whats next??? I believe its 425 h.p. at rear wheels now. I have drove this car for 6 yrs. now, and believe me its a 11.80 car.New converter woke her right up!! 60 ftrers went from 1.74 to 1.68 but et is the same. My reaction times suck!! Going racing again Sat. for more practice.Finishing up a Holley Street Dom. intake im just itching to try out instead of the RPM intake.
What's next ? More cam !! You'll be solidly in 11's. The cam your running is basically a Ram IV cam. Which was for Ram 1V heads that flowed maybe 220 CFM. Your E-heads flow guessing 280 cfm.

The reason for the cam your running is you didn't have enough valve spring to run any more, remember a while ago you talked about going with more cam we all went over that with you, you couldn't because of the valve springs.

Remember your E-heads had D-port valves. Sense then you've put in longer valves, what should be in a set of e-heads for valves.

Can you get into the 11's they way it is now...that's a big maybe ? But it'll be a one time deal. Then you'll be back running 12.10's.

You've run consistent 109 mph, I'd say you need solid 111 mph, is the new intake and disb going to get you there, 12.00's maybe. BUT the right cam definitely will. Right cam degreed in easy and I mean EASY 11's.

Rich you've accomplished a lot every change has been in the right direction...remember you were only running 12.70's. You've pick up .6 tenths but the mph has stay the same. Guaranteed more cam will get solidly in the 11's
You would sh.it yourself if you ran 11.60-11-70's.
Old 06-28-17, 01:21AM   #53
Gach
Administrator

They guys here giving advice are really good, they've been there. Notice all the advice has been very consistent.
Old 06-28-17, 08:34PM   #54
Gach
Administrator

Been trying to find the spec's to that cam, I do remember the lift, I think was some were around 550 lift. I'll keep looking
Old 06-28-17, 08:59PM   #55
Gach
Administrator

Not 100% sure but think 236/242 @ .050. With .510 lift but he's got 1.65 rocker which I think makes 560 lift. On a 108.
Old 06-28-17, 11:23PM   #56
Gach
Administrator

Nuh he needs more cam. It's a E-head that flows better then 280 CFM.
Old 06-28-17, 11:28PM   #57
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC View Post
You are lacking power.
We get 1.68 60ft with our 400 but run 11.6s, that is with crappy iron heads.
What's this car weigh ?
Old 06-29-17, 04:34PM   #58
Gach
Administrator

EC, he's been trying to get in the 11's for the past 2 years. Well over 500 threads past two years. The guys on this site have been though every possible reason why it hasn't happen. If you got a couple of hours read through them. Think we've exhaust every possibility. Compression test, 185 lbs check out. He was told a year ago by more then one competent engine builder he need more cam. Didn't do because he has Stock cast rods.

Here's his combo, you tell us were the power lost is. Look I get it, I ran 11.70's with Iorn heads pump gas 20 years ago.

It's 67 GTO...all Stock suspension, weighs 3600-3700 lbs with him in it. It's a .030 over 400. With 9.3-9.50 compression E-heads. Claims they flow 300 CFM. With new valves and a clean up.

You said, you've run 11's with a smaller cam and iron heads, which I have no doubt, but give us the spec's. Weight of the car, compression. Gear...convertor. Let's compare the two combos.

Think about this a 400 with 9.5 compression with E-heads that flow (300 according to him ) with a 236/242 and .550 lift cam.

When he first got on the board he was running 12.70's at 109 mph. Shifting at 5500. With the changes and suggestions it's now running 12.1 at still 109. So were's the power lost ?

I get it your trying to help, so let me pick your brain, so with 300 CFM head, 9.5 compression and 236/242 cam .550 lift how much hp should he be making.
Old 06-29-17, 05:52PM   #59
Dragncar

Truth. His numbers are garbage. Why post if you do not listen to others who know more and are willing to give their advice just to help someone out.
Dragncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-17, 06:24PM   #60
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC View Post
I tried helping yrs ago, didn't seem like he wanted to listen. Don't care to now, just saying 109mph in 3650 with 300cfm heads is poor.
If we can run 11s at 113+ with 240cfm iron heads, cam 230-236, and 3600lbs he should be doing WAY better. Im sure he can stick a bigger cam steep gears, looser converter and go fast but it'll still be slow for the parts involved.
Oh...I agree !