Engine Tech
> Engine Tech Discussion - Street or Strip
User Name
Password

sponser links

Old 06-26-17, 08:57PM   #31
Gach
Administrator

Just when I knew all the answers they change the questions. By that I mean he ask allot of people questions, gets many different answers, by then he's found what he thinks is another problem, so we're are off in a competely different direction. With a problem that doesn't exist. Well if your shift light is flickering and it's set at 6200 and your suppose to be going though the traps at 6200. Guess what it's not a problem.

Lots of times it's the way he ask for advice ( I think ) if your at the track and you ask or mention your shift light is flickering at 6200 the guy probably not knowing anything about his combo, starts thinking off the top of his head,guessing what the problem might ? Be.
Old 06-26-17, 09:08PM   #32
Steve C
Verified User

Most usually shift when a pre-determined RPM is reached and employ a guess in determining where. Or else zing it up close to red-line, not always a happy event. There are many schools of thought on on determining optimum shifting rpms. Most will have to resort to trial and error. But remember best ET is not always the key, think consistency.

My stated 5800 for a peak power RPM was for conversation.

Steve C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-17, 09:20PM   #33
tjs44
Ram Air V Guru

Lou,you THINK you know where it is supposed to be!You have no clue what it is actually doing,NONE!Tom
tjs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-17, 10:30PM   #34
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs44 View Post
Lou,you THINK you know where it is supposed to be!You have no clue what it is actually doing,NONE!Tom
Your 100% correct ! I don't ! I'm not driving the car. Going by what the cam manufacture says on what or were it makes peak and what convertor stall, doesn't mean it actually does, either.
Old 06-26-17, 11:06PM   #35
Gach
Administrator

Thomas, he was running 12.70's now running pretty consistent 12.1's a gear and convertor change and he's changed his shift point from 5800 to 6200 still don't think I have any idea were he's making peak..LOL
Old 06-26-17, 11:22PM   #36
tjs44
Ram Air V Guru

Yes,I don't and neither does he.Tom
Old 06-26-17, 11:30PM   #37
Gach
Administrator

So which is it, he's not making enough hp to get into the 11's..or the chassis dyno is the answer ?
Old 06-27-17, 12:15AM   #38
tjs44
Ram Air V Guru

We have no clue Lou?We don't know anything!What kind of timing does it like?He never leaves it alone long enough to really test and tune.Make a log with conditions.Make a few passes at 32 degrees total,make a few at 34 etc,etc,etc,etc.Try shifting at 5800 for 4-5 passes,try 6000,does it slow down or speed up.Work on MPH and then work on 60fts.You did it,I did it.You have to make one change at a time and test,not make wholesale and then guess which worked.You have been reading it for years now as I.Tom
Old 06-27-17, 12:47AM   #39
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs44 View Post
We have no clue Lou?We don't know anything!What kind of timing does it like?He never leaves it alone long enough to really test and tune.Make a log with conditions.Make a few passes at 32 degrees total,make a few at 34 etc,etc,etc,etc.Try shifting at 5800 for 4-5 passes,try 6000,does it slow down or speed up.Work on MPH and then work on 60fts.You did it,I did it.You have to make one change at a time and test,not make wholesale and then guess which worked.You have been reading it for years now as I.Tom
I agree...it's a hopeless situation.
Old 06-27-17, 01:44AM   #40
sprint250
Moteesuh

"You should shift your car 200 RPMs UNDER your desired shift point. It takes at least those 200 RPMs, time wise for the tranny to shift.
I shift my 455 at 5200 RPMs. 10.93."

That and the time it takes the driver to physically react to the shift light plus any slop in the linkage can cause an additional slight delay.
Every situation and driver is different.
Practice ,practice practice + tune,tune, tune+ log, log ,log.
That's the only way to know what is working and get a consistent set up.
Old 06-27-17, 02:49AM   #41
Gach
Administrator

X2
Old 06-27-17, 04:58PM   #42
turbo louie

he still needs to degree the cam!!
Old 06-27-17, 05:32PM   #43
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pontiac View Post
Well with new 9 inch converter i was expecting more, but 12.10- 12.12- and12.32 sleeping on lites. 60 fters improved to 1.67,s from 1.72s. trying a little something differant, bought a new8528 MSD distributor and finishing up a Holley Street dominator intake, port matched. Oh, ya, speed a all 3 runs 109.8, lOVE TO HAVE SOMEBODY PHOTO MY CAR ON TAKE-OFF TO SEE IF IM SPINNING???
Sure fills like front end lifts and shoots right out. Backing off initial timing from 38 degree,s to 34. Ran cooler, 180 degree,s. Really not a hot day at Quaker City Dragway either
So your still running the old distributor that has the total timming coming in at 2500 rpms. You kicked the timing back from 38 degrees to 34. And it ran cooler.
So you were running to much timming. Make sure the new MSD distributors is lock in and get the total timming in at 1500 rpms. It's a good possibility the old disb is adavnceing past 2500. Causing it to run hotter like 200-210 degrees
Old 06-27-17, 05:36PM   #44
Gach
Administrator

By all means degree that cam.
Old 06-27-17, 06:34PM   #45
Mr.Pontiac

Gach, you know ill 95% AGREE WITH YOU but such a big deal about degreeimg in a cam, May i say lets just asume its perfect right now and everything id buttoned back-up, whats next??? I believe its 425 h.p. at rear wheels now. I have drove this car for 6 yrs. now, and believe me its a 11.80 car.New converter woke her right up!! 60 ftrers went from 1.74 to 1.68 but et is the same. My reaction times suck!! Going racing again Sat. for more practice.Finishing up a Holley Street Dom. intake im just itching to try out instead of the RPM intake.
New MSD distrib. on its way. so just maybe lady luck will guide me to the 11,s yet.
Mr.Pontiac is online now   Reply With Quote