Old 05-21-18, 10:39PM   #1
JSPONT

Default cool blow thru info

https://youtu.be/BzvyXGwOMcw
JSPONT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-18, 02:06PM   #2
bad69bird
Procharger Posse

While I think this video is informational and I am by no means the be all end all...there are other factors to be considered.

1) The more boost you make over a prolonged period of time (1/4-mile pass), the higher the intake temp will be. The higher the intake temp, it will be more critical that your tune is spot on.

2) Now, combine the higher boost with an increased intake temp and it's even more critical that you to make sure air/fuel distribution is on point.

3) Not sure how much CFM that turbo is moving either, which can also create problems if it's moving a boat load of air.

The above things need to be taken into consideration. This has been my experience and advice I've been given from several other people making a lot more HP and/or having more brain power than I do (Steve Morris, Tom V., and Mark @ LPI).

Also, I'm curious how much HP he's making. He might have said it in the video, but I missed it.
http://luhnperformance.com/
http://csucarbs.com/

Nitrous is like a hot girl with a STD...you want to hit, but you're afraid of the consequences.

Fastest Stock Suspension & Blow-thru Pontiac in the country
8.44 @ 166.97 (@3465#s)
1.38 60', 5.51@ 132.83-1/8th mile-DA 3800'
bad69bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-18, 02:24PM   #3
JSPONT

I think that car is a 9 second car. Personally I run an intercooler. I just thought it was cool to see how cool the charge is. Yes read plugs, not just 1, all cylinders.
Old 05-30-18, 05:53PM   #4
Gach
Administrator

Steve Morris, definitely the man, Tom v I never liked that guy..wink.

Seriously Im thinking, should say learning about which way to go, blow though or turbo. Got to do something about the compression.

Brian, what you tuning for compression, and howd you get there ? Head cc, dish piston and zero deck, down in the hole.
Old 05-30-18, 06:07PM   #5
Gach
Administrator

PS: glad to see you shut Bruce Wilkie trap ! My signature says it all about that guy.
Old 05-30-18, 06:59PM   #6
bad69bird
Procharger Posse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
I think that car is a 9 second car. Personally I run an intercooler. I just thought it was cool to see how cool the charge is. Yes read plugs, not just 1, all cylinders.
No I agree 100%. I think he over-stated the capabilities and benefits of a blow-thru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
Steve Morris, definitely the man, Tom v I never liked that guy..wink.

Seriously Im thinking, should say learning about which way to go, blow though or turbo. Got to do something about the compression.

Brian, what you tuning for compression, and howd you get there ? Head cc, dish piston and zero deck, down in the hole.
Back then...8:1 and I used head CC, dish piston, and zero deck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
PS: glad to see you shut Bruce Wilkie trap !
It appears so.
http://luhnperformance.com/
http://csucarbs.com/

Nitrous is like a hot girl with a STD...you want to hit, but you're afraid of the consequences.

Fastest Stock Suspension & Blow-thru Pontiac in the country
8.44 @ 166.97 (@3465#s)
1.38 60', 5.51@ 132.83-1/8th mile-DA 3800'
bad69bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-18, 07:58PM   #7
JSPONT

I think the point was the e85 run pretty cool. I would still run an intercooler if you have the room. Especially if it is a street car.
Old 05-30-18, 08:00PM   #8
JSPONT

Brian how did you crack a head like that???? I know, and do not blame you, but you have a photo?? Was it because the rocker shaft ripped out?
Old 05-30-18, 08:26PM   #9
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad69bird View Post
No I agree 100%. I think he over-stated the capabilities and benefits of a blow-thru.

Back then...8:1 and I used head CC, dish piston, and zero deck.

It appears so.
That sheds whole different light on Bruce Wilke creditbilty of the facts. Good luck
You know Im rooting for you.
Old 05-30-18, 09:52PM   #10
Gach
Administrator

Wilkie must of went crying to Twinturbo406. (Aka ) Anderson port development.
Coz old Billy boy is PISSED !

Hes quoting Kavin Poe accomplish, Fk that was done 10 years ago with E-heads
Or maybe hes just proud Poe never burn or blow up his CVWhats
Old 05-30-18, 10:11PM   #11
Gach
Administrator

Priceless

Quote:
That 7.82@-178 from Fulton this past weekend was killer. You sure know how to build a killer
Old 06-05-18, 12:17AM   #12
turbo69BIRD

As to how much air a turbo is moving vs heat, there is a correlation to a point, (you can move far less air with a smaller turbo and be making crazy heat) however it’s more about its efficiency. If your at the top of its ability to produce the needed CFM it’s going to make way more heat, think of it like the blades are starting to slip against the air and therefore creating more heat from friction. I don’t know that that’s actually what’s happening, lol but that’s how it was explained to me many years ago and visualizing that made me always remember it and size the cold side appropriately. Even on a bigger side sometimes. Cool air gives a broader AFRthreshold. Meaning you can be off your tune more. Just like Brian said.
A big compressor can move a lot more air than the little turbo but at a far lower inlet temp. So while it’s true the amount of air matters it’s that amount in relation to what the turbo can supply that makes the difference, not the overall CfM of air.

I think that’s what Brian was saying anyway just wanted to clarify it.

No one doubts Brian knows his stuff that’s for sure. ����
turbo69BIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-18, 12:22AM   #13
turbo69BIRD

For those of you who came in Later over here a little trivia is that Brian and I had the same screen name.�� I was bad69bird on the turbomustangs.com forum before I was here (once upon a time. ) Which later morphed into theturboforums.com

Been a really long time now. I was young once. Lmfao
turbo69BIRD is offline   Reply With Quote