> Engine Tech Discussion - Street or Strip
User Name
Password

sponser links

Old 04-24-18, 07:29PM   #16
Dragncar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
My friend has tried both Cometics and SCE copper. Neither has worked. Has to have them decked each time also as the gaskets keep indenting the head surface. Soft.
That is crazy. Something is wrong with that picture. Copper 'denting" aluminum.

Glad my heads are at least proven. One thing I have to deal with though. Iron seats with uncoated Ti valves. I mean, it must work as Jack ran them for a long time. But I guess if you run iron seats you should have coated Ti valves. Copper seats and uncoated is OK.
Get a set of heads to Marcellas and you start learning more. Does my valve job just not last as long ? I need to find that stuff out.

Not sure how a coated valve helps with iron seats though. You would think there would be no coating on the valve seats sine they are ground. Fresh metal there.
Dragncar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-18, 07:40PM   #17
Gach
Administrator

Billy..ok now I see the difference. Now it Looks familiar. Thanks
Old 04-24-18, 07:47PM   #18
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post

Glad my heads are at least proven. One thing I have to deal with though. Iron seats with uncoated Ti valves. I mean, it must work as Jack ran them for a long time. But I guess if you run iron seats you should have coated Ti valves. Copper seats and uncoated is OK.
Get a set of heads to Marcellas and you start learning more. Does my valve job just not last as long ? I need to find that stuff out.

Not sure how a coated valve helps with iron seats though. You would think there would be no coating on the valve seats sine they are ground. Fresh metal there.
I think you really have to set back and look at exactly what your trying to accomplish. No doubt 900 hp pump gas would be killer, but think about what your actually going to do with the car. Itís your money heís spending. LOL
Old 04-24-18, 08:32PM   #19
Hooter
Goatroper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post

I’m not sure about the copper, but know the Cometics did. We JB welded the indentions one weekend at the track just to get the car going again and finish racing the next day. I know neither held and kept burning at the center gaskets.

65 Lemans - 565, T400, 3.70 gear, 3770 lbs. 10.13 at 135 short shifting to slow down. Street car.
Hooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-18, 09:06PM   #20
Gach
Administrator

Holy shit, deep enough that they could be filled in.
Old 04-24-18, 09:56PM   #21
steve

Spraying a 200 shot, blowing through the converter it ran a 5.60@123 in the 1/8 mi. The shift light was on most of the run. I have since sent the converter back to PTC and they restalled it, changed the rear gears from 4.86 to 4.56 (32" tall tires) and will take off the low profile sheetmetal intake and install a BOP intake. Hope all this helps.
Old 04-24-18, 11:49PM   #22
Gach
Administrator

5.60 in 1/8 pretty damn good. Good mph too. Be interesting to see if BOP helps. I definitely think it will, be surprised if it didnít
Old 04-25-18, 12:20AM   #23
JSPONT

I had a soft head, thank God it was the outside exhaust bosses. Had them welded but that does not work. They kept crushing. They kept leaking water on the headers.

Are the new Tigers better??
JSPONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-18, 12:42AM   #24
Gach
Administrator

Who knows, you would think theyíd be checking these casting.
Old 04-25-18, 06:33PM   #25
Dragncar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
I think you really have to set back and look at exactly what your trying to accomplish. No doubt 900 hp pump gas would be killer, but think about what your actually going to do with the car. Itís your money heís spending. LOL
Well Jack ran them successfully for years. More then good enough for me.

Hooter makes 820 and runs a easy 10.00 right . Hooter, what does your car weigh ? 900 is not "that" much more HP. Even if I get there at all.
I just want a engine that makes VERY good HP and is reliable and does it on 91. Do not want to change springs all the time.
Stuff like that. You would think 850 is doable. But that last 50HP cost money.
Bet I could get the 850 with just new pistons and my file fits. If back cut rings and vacuum pump are worth 40 HP that is close. But that cost 1500 $.
Heck there is a wp BOP on PY for sale for 400$. But I hear the plenum is very large for what I want to do.
Dragncar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-18, 09:10PM   #26
Gach
Administrator

I know a lot of the ( clueless) giving you shit about making 900 hp on pump gas. Let them tell Marcella or Scott Brown it canít be done. So we all can laugh

It can definitely be done if you want to spend the money for a max effort motor.
Old 04-25-18, 09:52PM   #27
Hooter
Goatroper

My 65 weighs 3770 and is a true street car. 3.70 gear, mufflers, etc. Pretty sure it’ll go 9’s if I lean on it and some more gear. Converter pretty tight too. Only high 1.4X short times foot braking. Just a fun car to drive. I have a gear vendors OD in it too

65 Lemans - 565, T400, 3.70 gear, 3770 lbs. 10.13 at 135 short shifting to slow down. Street car.
Hooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-18, 10:21PM   #28
Gach
Administrator

(gear vendors OD) those are nice, great for cruising.
Old 04-26-18, 01:56PM   #29
sprint250
Moteesuh

Hopefully the racers experiencing these issues with some of the Tiger heads are in touch with All Pontiac for possible advice and a remedy.

If an A356-T6 casting gets welded on the entire heat treat process needs to be redone.
Lots of practical information here:
https://www.thefabricator.com/articl...loys-with-a356

http://www.palmerfoundry.com/2014/02...sand-castings/

http://www.aircraftmaterials.com/data/weld/A356.html

https://forum.millerwelds.com/forum/...56-t6-aluminum

https://forum.millerwelds.com/forum/...lease-critique

Volumes more info out there.