Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> Engine Tech Discussion - Street or Strip
User Name
Password

sponser links

Old 08-02-17, 03:26PM   #46
462TA

I found a grind from Howards that is 253/259 @.50 with .600 lift, on a 108 lsa, using the 4/7 swap. It's a hydraulic roller. I think this, with a wider LSA like 112 will work pretty well with a built bottom end that is capable of some rpm. My fuel injection system would like the wider LSA instead of the 108. I could loosen the converter up to around a 3800 flash so it wouldn't be too bad on the street still. If I had to, I would go to manual brakes so I don't have to worry about engine vacuum. I would try to get atleast 10.75:1 CR by shaving my cylinder heads.
Old 08-02-17, 04:01PM   #47
Steve C
Verified User

OK, regarding the ratio on Harland Sharp rockers.

The article stated the cam used was a Comp 320H-10 and information from my catalog on hand states it has 0.540" valve lift based on a 1.5 ratio. That is based on .3600" lobe lift. The article stated the use of Harland Sharp 1.65 rockers and 0.594" valve lift. But when measured it stated he netted an actual 0.606" lift at the valve. Therefore I'm presuming the actual rocker ratio was about 1.684, because .3600" x 1.684 = .6062". I believe my thinking is correct here, but those that are more familiar please correct me if I'm off base in my method. Also I'm not suggesting the Harland Sharp Pontiac 1.65 rockers always measure as such because as noted we have seen other figures touted.

Steve C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 04:13PM   #48
Steve C
Verified User

462TA, consider calling Bullet Racing Cams and discuss with them a UltraDyne hydraulic roller profile. Or if additional valve lift is desired and recommended they have their own lobes. Good people to work with.

http://www.bulletcams.com/Masters/ultradynemasters.html

Old 08-03-17, 11:30AM   #49
Steve C
Verified User

ta man, I emailed a friend who has had many years experience with Pontiac rocker arm geometry. On many brands including Harland Sharp. Here was his reply....

"Your math looks right mine have usually measured 1.71ish even with roller springs but pushrod length can also tweak those some. I think because it hits the roller at a slightly different spot or get a different "real" lever length."

As mentioned I've seen others report a similar 1.7 ratio. If it is near that ratio then theoretically you will have about 0.664" lift intake and 0.680" lift exhaust. In theory because the obvious, you will have the effect from pushrod flex and the lifter. Personally I know little about the Hydraulic lifter preload effect on the situation since for the last 20 years I've used only solid roller cams. But I have read that like a shock absorber, the hydraulic lifter "gives" just a little as you load it under running conditions. This has it's effect including the amount of actual duration delivered 'at the valve'.

Somewhat related, this might be of interest here to some:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-...r-arm-comparo/

Old 08-03-17, 01:51PM   #50
ta man

Thanks again Steve
ta man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-17, 04:29PM   #51
ta man

Talking

Another tidbit about how great Shane is for a young guy,on his facebook group if you post anything other than Pontiacs or start talking about any other brand unless its "an example" for tuning etc..your post gets deleted..and possibly yourself gets hoofed!
ta man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-17, 05:39PM   #52
462TA

I have heard a lot of good things about Bullet cams and will definitely give them a shout when I can get this engine build rolling!

Yep, I don't take any prisoners when it comes to the group! haha. There are plenty of other pages that the Chevy/Ford/Mopar etc. guys can go a boast about their stuff.
Old 09-25-17, 11:40AM   #53
462TA

Update on the car and first time out at the 1/4 mile track:
My front springs were shot in the car and were sagging, so I went to a full tubular race control arm from QA1, both upper and lower, as well as a Viking DA coilover. I have 5 inches of travel still with the coilovers to work with the caltracs.
I took the car out friday night for some TNT and a grudge race or two at Alabama International Dragway. Very first pass netted me a 11.55@116.85 with a 1.56 short time. I made two more passes afterwards but that was it because of how crowded the track was. I uploaded the three passes I made, and the lanes are circled. Pretty consistent.
Also, here is a couple of runs from the night from my youtube channel (sorry for the blurry iphone video).
https://youtu.be/ItN_KI7v9zs
https://youtu.be/HTHFoeLgjmU
The mustang guy approached me and asked if I wanted to run him. He had no tag, full cage, 4.30 rear gears, and a big stall, but he couldnt outrun my street car!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	29254  
Old 09-25-17, 07:11PM   #54
JSPONT

Sweet!!
JSPONT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 07:24PM   #55
Gach
Administrator

Yes...yes...yes !!
Old 09-26-17, 12:31PM   #56
wheelsup 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 462TA View Post
Update on the car and first time out at the 1/4 mile track:
My front springs were shot in the car and were sagging, so I went to a full tubular race control arm from QA1, both upper and lower, as well as a Viking DA coilover. I have 5 inches of travel still with the coilovers to work with the caltracs.
I took the car out friday night for some TNT and a grudge race or two at Alabama International Dragway. Very first pass netted me a 11.55@116.85 with a 1.56 short time. I made two more passes afterwards but that was it because of how crowded the track was. I uploaded the three passes I made, and the lanes are circled. Pretty consistent.
Also, here is a couple of runs from the night from my youtube channel (sorry for the blurry iphone video).
https://youtu.be/ItN_KI7v9zs
https://youtu.be/HTHFoeLgjmU
The mustang guy approached me and asked if I wanted to run him. He had no tag, full cage, 4.30 rear gears, and a big stall, but he couldnt outrun my street car!
Nice first outing! Impressive compared to that ram air 5 build on that other thread that probably costs 3 times the money and your out running him by half a second!
wheelsup 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-17, 03:30PM   #57
462TA

I appreciate it guys!
Yeah, I can't believe that Ram Air V car only ran 11.90's, Even if it was low compression and built for boost, he better put a lot of boost to it if he wants to be quick.
I'm hoping to get back to the track soon and get the timing and AFR more dialed in. I think this build is reaching its full potential and it's time to start building another shortblock with a new cam. I really want to see 10's in this thing.