> Engine Tech Discussion - Street or Strip
User Name
Password

sponser links

Old 06-15-13, 04:00AM   #1
gtofreek
Engine Machinist

Default 428, 65 GTO burnout video

Here is a video of a nice sleeper 65 GTO that I built a 428 out of his 389 about 4 years ago. It's a mild build. Un-ported #62 heads, Tomahawk 5140 I-beam rods, Icon Pistons, Steel 4 inch crank, Lunati Voodoo cam, hydraulic flat tappet, 227/233 @ .050". 1.65:1 Harland sharp rockers. Heads have 5000 series Ferrea valves, and springs to work with the cam[130 seat, 330-340 open]. Block was align honed, square and zero decked, honed with torque plate. I installed bronze guides in the heads along with hard exhaust seats and surfaced them, back cut the valves. Degreed the cam to 106 ICL. Performer RPM intake, Holley carb originally.

Customer brought it in a year or so ago for me to build a 3:55 posi for it[it had a 2 series 1 wheel wonder in it]. He told me about how good it ran. Man it's really fast he said. I get the rearend done but don't really want to get on it right away until it gets some miles on it, and later on he has me install a straight driveshaft to stop a vibration. I drove it then and got on it and it bucked and coughed, then started to go. I told him, when he's ready, he needs to have Jeff build him a carb because this engine has so much more in it.

Well he had Jeff build him a carb. It was a 950 HP that now flows around 960 CFM[they flow about 820 cfm out of the box]. I installed a Torquer II intake and this carb this week and man what a difference. Before you had to drop the clutch to really do a burnout, now, you merely have to push the gas down and in 1'st or second gear, it will bust the tires loose when the secondaries start opening up, without clutching it.

This video is from inside the car. The first burnout was me slowly getting into the gas in first gear, then hitting second. The second burnout is me shifting to second gear and stabbing it. Outside temp was 108!

The owner came in today and drove it. He couldn't stop grinning when he got back. Night and day difference from before.

I took Jeff for a ride tonight and I'm converting him into a Pontiac fan more and more with every car he rides in! It's great, he's a Ford guy! He sure knows how to build Holley carbs, that's for sure!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9ly_...ature=youtu.be

I'll post pics and video of car this weekend. It's a real sleeper.

Forgot to mention that this is about 9 1/2 :1 compression and is running 91 octane pump gas with 32 total timing. No detonation. Ever so slight detonation at 35 in 3'rd gear between 4000-5000 rpm so I backed it off a bit.
520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
520-294-5758

I was wrong once. That was when I THOUGHT I made a mistake!
Your mind determines your limits!
gtofreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-13, 09:44AM   #2
Mr. PBody

Love it, Paul.

Insomnia? You were up late... (:-

Jim
Mr. PBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-13, 12:43PM   #3
gtofreek
Engine Machinist

Too much going on to sleep! ;^]
520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
520-294-5758

Old 06-15-13, 04:58PM   #4
Gach
Administrator

That thing runs good. Love it !
Old 06-16-13, 02:31PM   #5
gtofreek
Engine Machinist

Here are some more video clips of engine, carb and it idling. I am getting over being sick so I apologize for sounding stuffed up. Also, the cameras microphone seems to have a problem dealing with louder noises, because it makes the engine sound like it has noisy lifters, which it does not. Engine is quiet. When the microphone gets close to the exhaust pipe, you can hear it also. Just wanted to clear that up so people don't think the engine is making all that noise.

Engine idles around 750 RPM.

Engine water temp was 200[this was as hot as this engine ran] and outside temp was 108 that day, was still around 105 when video was shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3EIOzBYUJk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EF8N-BFb0U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpCoPMQDFQo
520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
520-294-5758