Engine Tech
> Engine Tech Discussion - Street or Strip
User Name
Password

sponser links

Old 09-24-18, 01:02AM   #46
Gach
Administrator

Yeah put some plugs in that baby and let us know how you make out. Should be Solidly in 11ís.
Old 09-24-18, 07:20PM   #47
Mr.Pontiac

Thank You i will do that
Mr.Pontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-18, 10:32PM   #48
ta man

Congrads..on 11's especially with that mph..find what is holding it back fuel? Timing creep? Even a bad transmission can feel good but drag out quite a bit of horsepower. What is your convertor slippage?
ta man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-18, 10:52PM   #49
Mr.Pontiac

Believe me i am trying everything i know. plugs, timing. throwing everything but kitchen sink at her.Right off line converter flashing 3900 to 4000 rpms, fuel 7 psi. Season all but over, always open for suggestions.
Old 10-25-18, 11:12PM   #50
Mb125

HP series holley carburetor specifically built for your engine would get you a minimum of 2 tenths.
Old 10-26-18, 12:47AM   #51
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb125 View Post
HP series holley carburetor specifically built for your engine would get you a minimum of 2 tenths.
Exactly!
Old 10-26-18, 01:24AM   #52
Dragncar

For his engine a Cliff Q jet would be more than enough. Hard to beat one in a street car. They sound great too.
But he could find a buddy with a nice 750 DP and give it a while. I have 3 of them laying around.
Dragncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-18, 04:38PM   #53
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
For his engine a Cliff Q jet would be more than enough. Hard to beat one in a street car. They sound great too.
But he could find a buddy with a nice 750 DP and give it a while. I have 3 of them laying around.
Iím going to have disagree with you, heís on his third cam change since Cliff did his Q-jet. Granteed heís never made a jet change. Gaby at one time offered to let him try a Holley, but it never work out. He may have other gremlins going on, but he did pick up at least .2 tenths with cam change. But his mph fell off. Iím
Just wondering if he has 7 lbs fuel pressure going through the traps because thatís were it counts.

Even so, itís typical of a Q-jet to have good bottom end but fall off on top end. Specially if youíve made a number of cam changes. Just saying generally if you pick up ET and mph falls off itís fuel related. Unless heís got some thing stupid going on
Old 10-26-18, 04:40PM   #54
ta man

A good solid fuel system 8 an lines and fittings Mallory 140 pump or similiar. Holley HP carb..torker 2 intake one inch spacer..and let er rip...It won't be running 104mph anymore...If you were closer I'd loan you my carb, intake, spacers..to show you the difference..The Q jets are great..if you have the tuning knowledge of a Cliff Ruggles or a guru beside you but most of us don't have that.
ta man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-18, 05:09PM   #55
Mr.Pontiac

Gach, with all the respect in the world to you, Gaby NEVER ONCE said that to me.HP Holley would never give me 2 tenths, find me one right now resonably priced and ill install it. If it fails you have to buy it off me.
Old 10-26-18, 05:45PM   #56
tjs44
Ram Air V Guru

SS pontiacs run in the 9s with a QJ!Its the sum of all parts on your combo,this has been going on for years now.The engine is not making HP!PERIOD!I have said it time and time again.MPH will give you a better idea of the HP,ET the chassis.Get it to a chassis dyno,spend a day on it with a good tuner and find out where the HP is,I doubt it is the carb.JMHO,Tom
tjs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-18, 07:10PM   #57
thomas flaherty

Before everybody starts guessing and telling rich what to do. How did your compression test and possible leakdown test go Rich. Did you get it out with a new set of plugs ( I’m guessing no )
thomas flaherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-18, 11:27PM   #58
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta man View Post
A good solid fuel system 8 an lines and fittings Mallory 140 pump or similiar. Holley HP carb..torker 2 intake one inch spacer..and let er rip...It won't be running 104mph anymore...If you were closer I'd loan you my carb, intake, spacers..to show you the difference..The Q jets are great..if you have the tuning knowledge of a Cliff Ruggles or a guru beside you but most of us don't have that.
EXACTLY!
Old 10-26-18, 11:35PM   #59
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs44 View Post
SS pontiacs run in the 9s with a QJ!Its the sum of all parts on your combo,this has been going on for years now.The engine is not making HP!PERIOD!I have said it time and time again.MPH will give you a better idea of the HP,ET the chassis.Get it to a chassis dyno,spend a day on it with a good tuner and find out where the HP is,I doubt it is the carb.JMHO,Tom
Sure they do, but highly modify, had a friend who ran SS with Q-jet. Because he had no choice, but just one trip out to modify cost him $500.00. He use to kid me saying I got the best Q-jet in the world. He ran 10.00’s. He could’ve bought 3 Holleys for what he had into that carb. I used to kid him back ( Puke Jet ) but again he had no choice.
Old 10-27-18, 12:14AM   #60
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pontiac View Post
Believe me i am trying everything i know. plugs, timing. throwing everything but kitchen sink at her.Right off line converter flashing 3900 to 4000 rpms, fuel 7 psi. Season all but over, always open for suggestions.
Rich, Iím just trying to help, believe me I ran Qíjet for long long time. With a
400Ē motor.

Hereís some ideas, get yourself A ohm meter and check your plug wires make sure their all good. I suggest this only because you found some bad plugs. Who knows maybe they were old. But usually old plugs all fowl out. Not just a couple.

Other thing take a compression test on the cylinders you found the bad plugs on
If anything your doing process of eliminating, Ok so now you know 2 things the plug wires are good and the compression in those cylinders are ok.

A smart move would be to just do a compression test on all cylinders.

Hereís another test, you should do, take a gal jug, disconnect fuel line at the carb and put into the jug. Have someone help you, have someone crack that baby over, you should be able to fill that gal jug in 30 seconds. If it doesnít thatís your problem..your just not getting fuel volume you need.

Just eliminateing possibilities. I donít think itís electrical but, testing the wires will eliminate that.