PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
General
> Tales From The Glory Days
User Name
Password

Tales From The Glory Days A forum to share old stories from the past pertaining to Drag racing, Street racing, Tricks, Techniques, and any other interesting story.

sponser links

Old 02-21-07, 11:00AM   #1
Dav'TA76

About this forum - Please read.

Some people here are lucky enough to live during the "old good days", when it was the war on street and drag strips between the big three (Ford, GM, Mopar).
What about to tell us some good old days story about this period (60’s, 70’s, 80’s)?
Story about street/drag racing action, old technical tips and tricks, old motor combinations when after market products weren’t available?
I really like to read this old story, I remember reading some good ones on Old Man Taylor site some years ago.
I'm sure some of you have good ones to tell us.
Can we add a new section in order to save this part of history and technical knowledge?
:Poncho
Dav'TA76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-07, 04:56PM   #2
Gach

Default Re: Old pontiac racing and tips story

I got a TON of old story's, I was 16 in 1964, and I'll bet there was more Muscle cars in this Town then the whole state. More Pontiac's then the whole state. 1964 was the year the GTO hit the market, but there was
plenty of 60's cars still around, 427 Ford's 421 Pontiac's 409 Chevy's Z11-427 Chevy's, Plenty of Mopars too. But the GTO's in 1964 where King.

So it's like where do I begin, there was allot of serious street racing, with
some few cops involved, it was a Muscle dream era. Hum? a new section ?
Old 02-21-07, 07:49PM   #3
INJUNTOM

Good idea...I'll see what i can do.

It just depends on if all the old timers like MaryAnn will contribute
Old 02-21-07, 07:52PM   #4
Gach

I'll contribute, of course you might get sick of listening to me.
Old 02-22-07, 07:43AM   #5
Dav'TA76

Yeah! a new section is needed....
I don’t know if some of you still have old photos, but it will be even greater with those….
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
I'll contribute, of course you might get sick of listening to me.
Sure.... but it would be an interesting experimentation for historians and psychoanalysts…
Seriously, you must do that because it’s part of muscle car heritage… and it's always fun or interesting to read this kind of story.
Old 02-22-07, 10:00AM   #6
Zedo
prodigal son

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA76dav View Post
Some people here are lucky enough to live during the "old good days", when it was the war on street and drag strips between the big three (Ford, GM, Mopar).
What about to tell us some good old days story about this period (60’s, 70’s, 80’s)?
Story about street/drag racing action, old technical tips and tricks, old motor combinations when after market products weren’t available?
I really like to read this old story, I remember reading some good ones on Old Man Taylor site some years ago.
I'm sure some of you have good ones to tell us.
Can we add a new section in order to save this part of history and technical knowledge?
:Poncho

as I remember in the 1970's, most guys bought a car used and ran what they had...the big swap was an Edelbrock intake and Holley 4-barrel carb- almost no one opened up the short block unless they really had to from breaking something- i.e. the stock factory timing chains would go all the time, or they'd blow a clutch from power shifting

another popular bolt on- Cragar SS mags all around, 50 series tires in the back, 70's up front- and bias ply, not radials

exhaust note was key- many cars had sidepipes on them

we really didn't get inside the motors and start doing total rebuilds and changing cams, bore/stroke, rod length, etc. until the early 1980's- most likely because the engines during the 1970's were still fairly new and not worn out yet

here's a story for you- there was an original Hemi Cuda for sale locally, sitting next to a gas station, for $1500- had the Hemi in it, but the block was CRACKED due to no antifreeze during winter. A friend bought it, welded the block, reassembled it- and used to pick us up hitch-hiking in the car. As I remember is smoked a little and used oil. Really didn't have much out of the hole either, a 400 Pontiac tuned up would walk on it light to light.

In 1983, I could have bought that car for $5000 from the guy- that was a LOT of money for a 21 year old to come up with back then- he ended up selling it for $5500 to someone from out of town

what are they worth now, a million bucks restored ? had we only known...

fast cars in town at the time amongst friends were:

70 GTO 400-4speed RA III
68 GTO 400-auto
68 GTO 400-4speed
68 442 Olds
70 Dodge Challenger ragtop 383-4bbl auto
70 Dodge Challenger SE 383-4speed
67 Galaxy 500 390-4bbl
(2) 70 Chevelles 454-4 speed
67 Chevelle 427-4speed
68 Cuda 340-4speed
70 Cuda 440-6 pack, then 340-4speed (engine changed)
66 GTO 389-tripower 4-speed
68 Torino 428 CJ 4-speed
70 Cougar 351
70 Buick GS
68 Firebird 400-4speed

the quickest car of the bunch was the 67 Chevelle 427- 2nd quickest was the 68 Firedbird 400- I actually tracked that 427 Chevelle down and found it had been sitting in a guy's yard, where it had been for about 10 years- later someone else bought it and has now done a frame-off resto on the car- supposedly it is a factory 427 car, but I never researched it to see for sure
Zedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 08:01AM   #7
Dav'TA76

Thank's for this contribution zedo,
great list of muscle cars in your town...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedo View Post
here's a story for you- there was an original Hemi Cuda for sale locally, sitting next to a gas station, for $1500- had the Hemi in it, but the block was CRACKED due to no antifreeze during winter. A friend bought it, welded the block, reassembled it- and used to pick us up hitch-hiking in the car. As I remember is smoked a little and used oil. Really didn't have much out of the hole either, a 400 Pontiac tuned up would walk on it light to light.

In 1983, I could have bought that car for $5000 from the guy- that was a LOT of money for a 21 year old to come up with back then- he ended up selling it for $5500 to someone from out of town
what are they worth now, a million bucks restored ? had we only known...
One of my friend have a similar story.
He found a 70' 440 cuda for sell in the shop window of a garage. The car was a low miles car, running, in pretty good shape except for the exhaust, for only 3500$. He couldn't afford it, because just before he bought a 67 camaro.
The cuda stayed for sell 6 months.... it was in 1994..... :rolleyes:
Old 02-23-07, 07:11PM   #8
Old Man Taylor
Old Man Taylor

It’s interesting that most of us think we missed “the good old years”. I thought I was about 5-10 years late as I missed the huge early growth of drag racing. However, I did not miss the evolution of the musclecar era. In hindsight, even if I missed it I wouldn’t change anything. One of these times I will try to put together a chronology of stories. They won’t be as good as listening to the true old timers, but they were still fun.

I went to a car show in either 1999 or 2000. It was put on by the OPRA in Ventura. One of the activities was an open forum with some of the old timers. The intent was a Q&A session, but we were having a lot of trouble getting it going. Then we asked some questions about the good old days and it turned into a bench racing/reminiscing discussion between the panelists. It was the highlight of the show! The panel included Pete McCarthy, George DeLorean, Stan Reardon, Doug Thorley and Jess Tyree. It was REALLY interesting listening to their old stories.
Old Man Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 08:08PM   #9
Gach

OMT, you knew George DeLorean ? I bought my first race motor off of him
when he owned Leader Automotive, it was a R-Air V short block with R-Air 1V
heads, It was out of his 69 Firebird that ran 11.20's. I lost contact with him after 1980.
Old 02-23-07, 08:17PM   #10
Old Man Taylor
Old Man Taylor

Gach - I didn't know him, but I met with him and spoke with him. At that time he was still working on Pro Stock engines. That was another interesting discussion. As I am sure you know, George was John's brother. The really interesting and funny stories were coming from Doug and Jess.
Old Man Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 09:46PM   #11
Gach

I see, he was just there and part of it. I have a lot of intersting storys
about George DeLorean and his connection with Pontiac because of his
bother John.
Old 02-23-07, 09:51PM   #12
Mb125

I just want to know one thing .... why they used stainless steel, i hated working on those things
Old 02-23-07, 10:06PM   #13
Gach

You worked on them ?
Old 02-23-07, 11:17PM   #14
INJUNTOM

Default Re: About this forum - Please read.

Not sure about everyone else, but I would think this forum can consist of stories involving any brand of car as long as it's an interesting story from the street. Many of us have had other brands of cars, and/ or have been involved with or rode in cars belonging to buddies that have great stories attached.
Old 02-24-07, 12:21AM   #15
Gach

Default Re: About this forum - Please read.

Sure, why not. I've own a 68 Z-28 Carmro, 1966 Chevlle, 58 Chevy Impala 348