PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> High Port Head
User Name
Password

High Port Head High Port owners can give there opinions along with their track results

sponser links

Old 03-11-05, 05:18PM   #16
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs44
if your NOT a cheapskate you can get a USA billet from at least 3 diff co. INCLUDING Crower.Just step up with your check book!Crower makes 2 diff price billets!
It's not the money, it's the time 3-4 months, to get one. We've been so raped up in new blocks and heads, we forgot about good cranks. So do
we wait and have every thing sit until June, what can you do with out
a crank, defiantly can't deck the block.

I guess you could go a head, do a stock crank deal, stroked to
4.250, you sure can stroke it to 4.500, if that's your combination
then we'll be siting hear next year at this time still talking about it.

I'd say if you plains are to build a 535 cid, your in for a long wait.
So you build the little motor this year, buy the new heads and
crank as soon as they are available, and put them on the book
case and sit there with a woody for another year...LOL
Old 03-11-05, 05:45PM   #17
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC
Wonder how these would work on my 400? Im on the list to get a set but was planning on a 462 for them but I might just put them on my 400 to see how they work.
Depends where you want the power range to come in at. A bolt on
head that flows in the 330-340 cfm range will work on anything.
The stroke and piston speed ( rpm ) needed to fill that bore changes
with a smaller stroke. A 455. 4.210 stroke might make it at say 6500
change to a 400 with a stroke 3.75, it would move up closer to 7500 rpms.

A race deal wouldn't be a problem as long as you had good meats
and traction, you could buzz it to the moon, and still hook-up, then
just hang on for the ride. On the street what good would all that power
be if you couldn't hook it up. Remember the car gets launch closer to
where it makes peak torque, if that baby is making peak torque at
4500-5000 rpms, it'll be a dog off the line on the street, even torquing
it up to 3500, to much of a rpm span to reach peak torque. It'll fly once
you get there.
Old 03-11-05, 10:33PM   #18
SDMAN

Both the KRE Hi port and the Tiger head are interesting pieces. We really need better options for cylinder heads. In 6-9 months we will know how good they really are. I hope both measure up to expectations. As for vintage cast iron heads, I have RAIV and SD-455's and with a lot of work they flow OK for a street head. But just OK.

Late last year, I went to Crower to order another billet (for the street blower motor). The lead time they gave me was 6 months. No way, I thought. So I went to Moldex and ordered one. But it may be the same amount of time, because as it turns out its not the back log or machining time thats the problem. Its the steel. The good steel is all spoken for, even before its made. So theres a waiting list for the premium forged steel ingots used to make billet cranks. And if youre willing to risk using an imported forged steel ingot, they can start your crank tomorrow. No shortage of the cheap steel. Im a patient person, so Ill wait for the good stuff.
SDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 10:38PM   #19
Gach
Administrator

Same here SDMAN, I just run what I have, and use the good crank
next year.
Old 03-12-05, 12:36AM   #20
SDMAN

I'd race a hyundai before I'd use a chubby.
SDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 12:42PM   #21
tjs44
Ram Air V Guru

Cranky,maybe your input would be better heard on a CHEVY board?Tom
tjs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 12:45PM   #22
Goatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455 Cranky
The LS7 is a corporate engine. :ax
Are you laiking old BB LS7 or new SB2 LS7? Both are pretty bad A engines.
Old 03-12-05, 01:02PM   #23
Goatman

I know, it's not a Pontiac, but at least it's GM. I can't wait til the new Z06 Vette comes out with the LS7 in it. It's gonna be baaaaaaad.
Old 03-12-05, 01:05PM   #24
1977transam

what are the spec's on the Ls7
Old 03-12-05, 01:08PM   #25
Goatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455 Cranky
I must have missed something. Why is it acceptable to use Chinese parts and parts that are not really Pontiac but when the word Chevy appears people go balastic? They make valve covers that say Pontiac for people who are ofended.
I'm a Pontiac man at heart, but if it says GM I'm on board. Anything to beat the blue oval, and the five star guys. I don't care what anyone says, the new generation small block(LS1, LS2, LS7, even the truck engines 4.8, 5.3, 6.0) are some very well designed engines. Great power, good fuel economy. 300+ HP combined with 20+ Miles per gallon, with your foot out of it, is going in the right direction, imo. But this is a Pontiac site so maybe we should stick with that.
Old 03-12-05, 01:10PM   #26
Goatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977transam
what are the spec's on the Ls7
500 HP, close to 500 torque. Going in the new Z06 Corvette coming this summer. 7.0L/427 CID.
Old 03-12-05, 01:11PM   #27
1977transam

can't argue with that combo, chevy or not that a nice combo.
Old 03-13-05, 01:12PM   #28
tjs44
Ram Air V Guru

if you want a chevy engine,sell the pontiac car to someone that will treat it as it should be and buy a Camaro or Chevelle.IMHO.Tom
Old 03-13-05, 02:16PM   #29
tjs44
Ram Air V Guru

then you must not have been to Norwalk or the Pontiac Heaven meet in AZ where you CANT even run a corprate motor,not allowed in the event.Tom
Old 03-14-05, 02:49AM   #30
sprint250
Moteesuh

Default We are not worthy

Take a long look at all the Chevy and Ford aftermarket stuff.
A lot of it is made offshore including cranks,rods pistons the blocks and heads.
So if you succumb to the siren song and decide to slide a "Chevy" crate engine in your beloved Pontiac because it is cheaper have at it.I dare ya.
Just be sure and ask whoever, be it GM or some other hawker of "Chevy style" engines what the countries of origin are for all the parts that are inside the thing.You will be surprised at what is "outsourced".

In one breath 455 cranky is a total purest. He will not put anything on one of his Pontiacs that did it not come out of the factory with when the car was built or was not offered as a factory option (especially if it is made in China and that is your option).
Better ditch the ugraded stereo and the cd player, they are not made here either.LOL
In the next breath He says he does not see what the big deal is over repowering a 50's , 60's or 70's Pontiac with a Chevy corporate engine.
So that means he would not run aftermarket Pontiac heads,a camshaft(roller , hyd. or solid flat tappet),connecting rods , pistons , valves,roller rockers,pushrods,headers,mini-starter not even a BOP rear main seal because none of it,in his opinion, can hold a candle to the original factory gear.
Better leave the transmission stock too becuase we all know a Lenco ,multi disc clutch or an explosion proof bell housing were never offered by Pontiac in the sixties and seventies.Lexan windows,better brakes, roll cages and other safety equipment,glass fenders and doors gotta come off the cars too?
I guess Pontiac Dude,MRE, Kauffman, Nunzi,ACE,Spotts R.R.E.,Butler,BOP,Edelbrock, All Pontiac,Pure Pontiac ,Wenzler, Crower and all the other manufactuers and builders working with racers and enthusiasts developing new parts for an engine family that was out of production in 1979 are all just too dumb to see the handwriting on the wall.They must all be in the wrong hobby too.
Attention every one, the GM corporate racing ban is still in effect(especially when a GM division other than Chevrolet does well)!LOL
Pontiac racers and enthusiasts have had to do more with less and be much more creative over the years because they cannot just waltz into the local dealer and get support for their Pontiac iron anymore.
Enjoy your part of the Pontiac hobby Cranky.But we here are not fools for pursuing the high performance side of Pontiac iron and how it can be improved upon.

See Ya
[cheers]