PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
General
> The Suggestion Box
User Name
Password

The Suggestion Box Got an idea for the site? A new forum that we don't already have? Something that may make the site better, or more fun? Come on in.

sponser links

Old 04-02-09, 09:13PM   #1
os101king

Default How about a search feature that works?

I don't know what's up here, but I enter search parameters (a word) and almost EVERY TIME NOTHING COMES UP. kind of makes the board a little useless.... really nothing you can DO wrong, I just type in something and I get the same "no matches found" crap. What's up?
os101king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-09, 09:20PM   #2
Gach
Administrator

Works find for me..
Old 04-02-09, 10:38PM   #3
g_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by os101king View Post
I don't know what's up here, but I enter search parameters (a word) and almost EVERY TIME NOTHING COMES UP. kind of makes the board a little useless.... really nothing you can DO wrong, I just type in something and I get the same "no matches found" crap. What's up?
When you do the search it will pull up the entire thread when the search string makes a hit. If there are ten pages and your hit is on page ten, you will not know until you search every page for your hit, which means nine pages of what "MAY" appear to be irrelevant information. I am unaware of all the capabilities of this system to know if or how you are able to pull only the pages of hits rather than the full threads. But the search engine does work fine; you just need to know how it works to pull up the hits. What may I ask are you getting the “no matches found” message on? You may be searching outside the limits of this search engine and may need to be more specific though I am only making a guess as I would prefer an example. Hope this helps!
g_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-09, 12:02PM   #4
wmhjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by os101king View Post

The search function for the software that runs this board is "OK" but not great. It's not this site. It's the core application that this site and so many others use. There's a lot to do with it. Indexing takes storage and system resources, so often search configurations are setup so that as an example you can't search using a word less than 4 characters long, etc.

I find that the search here works about as well as at any other site using the same vBulletin software.
wmhjr is offline   Reply With Quote