sponser links

Old 08-15-18, 08:26PM   #361
JSPONT

kre dport ttfmf!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JSPONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-18, 08:10PM   #362
JSPONT

Default Dragy app test you tube video

Got the dragy gps, really cool, records all sorts of stuff and you can customize it.
This was a virgin road, bad tires, spun 1st and some of second. I left at 5 psi and the rest of the run was 8-9 psi.

I have a bunch of suspension work I will do over the winter. Everyone shouls buy a dragy for $149!!

https://youtu.be/iS8sq3EIzAE
Old 10-20-18, 09:03PM   #363
Gach
Administrator

I have one, love it.
Old 10-20-18, 09:04PM   #364
Gach
Administrator

Used it to dail in car, when I raced that Nova for $200.00. Quickest 200 I ever made
Old 10-20-18, 09:19PM   #365
JSPONT

I am just learning it, it is so cool!
Old 10-20-18, 09:26PM   #366
Gach
Administrator

You’ll be out testing you’ll need a new set of tires before your though LOL
Old 01-15-19, 12:36AM   #367
keith
Stubborn old goat

Read this thread in 2 sittings … found it very enjoyable. I have a gold 71 Formula, My "Formula 444" I hope to go down the turbo road with in the future. Trying to simplify in my mind the differences I think I have come to understand power is generated in the engine by the temperature differential of the entering charge from the ignited charge. Forced air places more charge per intake cycle into the cylinder which when burned makes more heat thus power. I would expect 14.7 psi of added boost to generate twice as much heat thus power as NA. Since the turbine is directly connected to the exhaust and the pressure increase adds heat there is heat transfer to the incoming boost air that decreases power potential therefore an intercooler is employed to drop that temperature, the early Buick GNX's were not intercooled and performance increase was far less impressive than when the intercooled versions came out that made jaw-dropping performance. So keeping the charge temperature down and making the engine capable of handling 2x normal heat dissipation and cylinder pressure appear to be key, to me as a novice anyways. Buick put more head bolts in their "Stage" heads and stronger forged cranks. I was wondering what compression level to use as I am at the heads very soon, it appears some believe turbo increases compression ratio but I don't think this is the case, SCR or DCR don't change with boost, I think what does change is cylinder pressure so as long as the head stays clamped and the gasket doesn't blow out you're golden. Maybe I should just choose a CR that I can run pump gas with a little safety factor with unboosted. I will ARP stud my heads as I did the mains. Gasket choices may be very important, as the rings when boosted. I don't have either yet.

I will run the 444 normally aspirated first although I will try to make selections now that would serve with minimal modification in both arenas. I was trying to modernize as much as I can afford, and have now decided to pursue ported shaft-rocker 7mm cone-spring factory heads. I was surprised today to get feedback from 2 Pontiac shops not ruling out their doing my desired modifications. Really I wanted a dead nuts valve train with identical chambers and ports and figured all new guides and hardened exhaust seats was the way to go.

My block is bored .060 torque plate honed and align honed with beefier dowels, ARP main studs, fully cryo'd r/a including main caps with forged Scat crank and Ross pistons. Bearings are FM113M mains C77-CB743HN rods both CT-1 Calico coated. Pistons will be CT-3 ceramic top coated and CT-2 side coated. Will run radiator and cooling system with extra capacity. Was thinking about o-ring'ing the heads, Butler does this and they appear to be willing to do my mods.
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-19, 02:16PM   #368
JSPONT

Compression with a turbo depends on what fuel you want to run. A bunch of guys run e85 and go with a 10 to 1 compression or higher on e98 or race fuel. I run real pump gas 93 octane. My compression is 8.75 to1
Once you go turbo, you will never go back. Easy horsepower that is there whenever you want.
Old 01-16-19, 03:21PM   #369
keith
Stubborn old goat

Thanks for your response. I want to run a pump gas 444 and was looking at 9.75SCR/7.28DCR for a start with 6X-8 at 100cc wondering whether limiting boost to 10psi and strengthening like I mentioned would keep me from having pre-ignition/detonation issues … or blowing the heads off from too much pressure Wondering if people are just cautious when adding boost and what is the real issue causing breakage/damage. Too much cylinder pressure loosening things up or ignition at the wrong time?. Was going to drop serious coin on a set of factory heads now, it will be a while before turbo, at least a season. I have a nice set of 7M5 cores that can be taken from between 114 to 104cc.
I saw you had blown a head gasket and you upgraded with a new radiator that solved heat problems. Am not sure I can make 1 set of heads do "double duty" but would like to try. Iron heads will hold more heat, I think you said you have aluminum. I think newer boosted motors use mostly aluminum heads and have computer controlled "knock" sensor systems that change the timing slightly to control possible damage from pre-ignition. I think even non-boosted applications have both those. There must be systems to retrofit our motors. Well I have to get my NA DQ's going first

Hey I see you said you were running on long island, I have delivered there many times, did you ever have occasion to go to Brooklyn and meet Nunzi?
Old 01-16-19, 10:01PM   #370
JSPONT

My head gasket went because they were 10 year old felpros! I just added a turbo to the old 455. When I got more serious I build the 400 stroked.
I use cometic gaskets. With iron heads you will clamp better. You will have no issue's at 10 psi with iron heads. All the carnage you see from people is most likely 25+ psi and an on the edge tune.
You must pull timing with boost and make sure fuel pressure goes up when boost does. good regulator handles that.
As for Nuzzi, I had seen him at the track a long time ago. I sorta got my own guys I use. They are a little old school, top dogs back in the day.
Old 01-17-19, 02:41PM   #371
keith
Stubborn old goat

Well 6x-8's seem to be pretty popular, there must be a reason … I see porting results from them appear very good on a website that showed many different makes head porting results. The lone late 46 set there looked very good as well. Some of the earlier heads were better but most 6x-8's were reaching 240cfm which is better than stock by 20%. This is what I was looking to have heads ported to. My engine has 10% more CI, 10% larger intake valve, duration and lift and carb cfm .. I'm thinking the result should be fairly well matched. So Im leaning towards staying conservative with NA compression ratio and using unmilled 6x-8's. I can cometic them if they are too much, or mill them if I want more.

I have a guy helping me, he has been racing in NE many years street and strip, his nickname is Goog's .. he runs a green 5.0, "Under Pressure" at Epping that is not a trailer baby and has plates and sticker, 10.25 best to date. He has a 95 Firehawk that he installed accessory intercooled supercharger as well both clean installations that almost look factory. Can post a photo or 2 of them here if you'd like.(I think .. am not good with photo transfers ) Or on my build thread, as its what Id like to end up with.

Was reading yesterday about ring setup's that use chamber pressure to add ring seal during power stroke developed mainly for boost motors. And copper gaskets with or without O-rings for head sealing the higher cylinder pressure today.
Old 01-17-19, 03:48PM   #372
JSPONT

Forgot to mention that, boost or nitrous ring gaps need to be considered. It is important otherwise you can lift a ring land. Jeff Palazzo has a stock 455 with 6x heads un ported in a 69 Firebird, he has run 9.79 @15 psi with that set up. Has a real lazy 60' and mph that shows he should be way faster.