PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS
 

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> High Port Head
User Name
Password

High Port Head High Port owners can give there opinions along with their track results

sponser links

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-06-11, 11:01PM   #31
Gach
Administrator
 
Gach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: ....
Posts: 18,424
Default

Of course it was right in front of me
__________________
The things they hide, the way they spin things, the excuses that they make and the things they omit.
Gach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 12:39AM   #32
JoeyD
Registered User
 
JoeyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 181
Default

Sometimes you need a bigger port to get that mixture in, thats the problem we have now. With n2o you don't have a problem like N/A. You launch that car and that airspeed in the head doesn't have a problem! Was thinking about a home ported set of high ports, they are cheap enough. Just want to make sure they will hold up.
JoeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 12:41AM   #33
JoeyD
Registered User
 
JoeyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 181
Default

EC, I'd like to see what your car would do with about 14-1, a nitrous cam, and a fogger.
JoeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 02:30AM   #34
Gach
Administrator
 
Gach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: ....
Posts: 18,424
Default

It would be flying. I think the HP would br a good head too. I haven't seen or heard of to many nitrous HP combinations. I think the casting issues are behind Them. It's amazing how many heads we have to choose from.
__________________
The things they hide, the way they spin things, the excuses that they make and the things they omit.
Gach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 02:52AM   #35
SDTempest
Registered User
 
SDTempest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 427
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
It would be flying. I think the HP would br a good head too. I haven't seen or heard of to many nitrous HP combinations. I think the casting issues are behind Them. It's amazing how many heads we have to choose from.
Punisher#1 runs 5 teens at 140 in the 1/8th, 8.80 @ 151 on motor, and 8 teens at 172 on spray with highports.

BrandX runs mid 8's on spray with highports IIRC.

I hope to get my junk to eventually run 8's on a single fogger with a small'ish tire.
__________________
James
'63 Tempest Street Car - 505ci IA2 with Highports
Dynoed 797hp and 707lb/ft
SDTempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 01:23PM   #36
Dragncar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mcinleyville CA
Posts: 622
Default

So, any of you guys think I can reach my 700HP goal with the cam I have ( .688-.688. .272-.276, 108) and the 380 CNC HPs.
Its getting to to point where I need to try and get them finished in time for April.
If I need to but a new cam that would set me back but it could be done.
700HP is about all I want to try for with a stock block even with splayed caps.
I know people have done more but its pushing it NA.
Dragncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 05:38PM   #37
Gach
Administrator
 
Gach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: ....
Posts: 18,424
Default

At what lift are they getting 380 cfm. .700-.800 If so I'd say with a .688 lift cam your going to be short. With that duration it's going to want to make peak power around 7200 rpms. If you post the flow numbers it would help. What rocker ratio 1.55 ?
__________________
The things they hide, the way they spin things, the excuses that they make and the things they omit.
Gach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 08:31PM   #38
ken c
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Shreve,ohio
Posts: 319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
So, any of you guys think I can reach my 700HP goal with the cam I have ( .688-.688. .272-.276, 108) and the 380 CNC HPs.
Its getting to to point where I need to try and get them finished in time for April.
If I need to but a new cam that would set me back but it could be done.
700HP is about all I want to try for with a stock block even with splayed caps.
I know people have done more but its pushing it NA.
Troy the 272-278 numbers are probably ok but I don't like the 108 c/l I would use a 114 or something close to that.
Ken
ken c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 12:50AM   #39
Dragncar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mcinleyville CA
Posts: 622
Default

I will dig out the flow numbers tomorrow if I can but the problem is I do not know if the program is finished at this point.
I do know the 380 cfm is at way higher that .700 lift, look,if they had 380cfm under .700 lift they would have the cat by the tail and there would be dozens of these heads out there right now.
I have been thinking the right cam is somewhere around .725 lift, and 112-114.
Dan picked the cam out to go with pump gas HOs driven to the strip, if he knew I took it to the track on a trailer the cam would have been bigger. But he is old school and likes the 108s.
I run Norris 1.6s but they come out at 1.65 if you measure them.Dan told me so and who am I to argue with him.
I have another roller but its a UD .626- .261-.271 on a 106.
Dragncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 02:33AM   #40
SDTempest
Registered User
 
SDTempest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 427
Default

Sounds like more than enough cam for 700hp. I can run it through my simulator if you have the .200" duration numbers. Also need the Flow numbers, port width, height and valve sizes.
__________________
James
'63 Tempest Street Car - 505ci IA2 with Highports
Dynoed 797hp and 707lb/ft
SDTempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 02:39AM   #41
JoeyD
Registered User
 
JoeyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 181
Default

Tighter lobes are usually better for a less flowing head, or less inches. Depends on the motor, your cam should work OK for what you are doing, butn there is better of course.
JoeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 09:28PM   #42
Dragncar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mcinleyville CA
Posts: 622
Default

Well I just pulled the cam card out and its a tad smaller than I thought it was.
.663-.667, 270-.275 108, to be installed on a intake centerline of 104.
I do not have the .200 numbers on the card.
Its a sort of tight lash cam,.018.
Crower part number E-41285.
The valves should be 2.20 as I think the 2.25 valves are for aftermarket block bores.
I am trying to contact SD today. Thinking about going P Dudes route if they can not get this thing finished. 350cfm std port E heads.
They made 700 HP with a stock block 4.5 arm engine and a hyd roller. I bet I could make 700 with a 4.25 engine with my solid roller.
Those heads made 785 HP with a 535- 541 engine on pump gas. Thats more than enough to get me in the mid 9s.
P dude ran a 9.76 with only his hyd roller too, and his car is not light.
785 is more than Gach made with his 366cfm WP heads.
Even their 370cfm WP E heads made 810 HP which is a lot.
These are not the numbers put out by the wp High Port pump gas heads done by Barton, Robbinson and those guys, 890-910+ engines but its still a lot.
One thing I do know about the High Port vs the SD CNC std port E head is they have lot better flow and velocity at mid lifts. Better on a smaller stock block engine I think. And the High Port likes .750+ lift and does not have so much mid lift flow capability. Its just a bigger head.
I just want something aluminum and shiny on top of my engine.
Its been too long and I deserve them.

Last edited by Dragncar : 03-08-11 at 09:46PM.
Dragncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 09:42PM   #43
Gach
Administrator
 
Gach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: ....
Posts: 18,424
Default

Don't forget P-Dude motor is a 535 CI. I would go with the 380 cfm HP and use the cam you have. I think you'll come pretty close to your 700 HP goal.
You can always change the cam later, if you don't. The HP would be a good head for when you move up to a new block.

Although Dude did real well with SD 350 cfm head with hyd roller. I think he went 9.70. On pump gas.
__________________
The things they hide, the way they spin things, the excuses that they make and the things they omit.
Gach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 11:51PM   #44
SDTempest
Registered User
 
SDTempest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 427
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC View Post
Show me an e-head that can come close to my HP heads at .500.
Also my heads keep flowing right up to .900 lift but I am only running .750 lift and making 890hp so you can make great power without lifting the valve to the max.
Yeah my Highports go 297 cfm @ .400 and 350 cfm @ .500 with a 2.20" valve. I haven't seen an E-Head come close to that.
__________________
James
'63 Tempest Street Car - 505ci IA2 with Highports
Dynoed 797hp and 707lb/ft
SDTempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 12:01AM   #45
SDTempest
Registered User
 
SDTempest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 427
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Well I just pulled the cam card out and its a tad smaller than I thought it was.
.663-.667, 270-.275 108, to be installed on a intake centerline of 104.
I do not have the .200 numbers on the card.
Its a sort of tight lash cam,.018.
Crower part number E-41285.
The valves should be 2.20 as I think the 2.25 valves are for aftermarket block bores.
I am trying to contact SD today. Thinking about going P Dudes route if they can not get this thing finished. 350cfm std port E heads.
They made 700 HP with a stock block 4.5 arm engine and a hyd roller. I bet I could make 700 with a 4.25 engine with my solid roller.
Those heads made 785 HP with a 535- 541 engine on pump gas. Thats more than enough to get me in the mid 9s.
P dude ran a 9.76 with only his hyd roller too, and his car is not light.
785 is more than Gach made with his 366cfm WP heads.
Even their 370cfm WP E heads made 810 HP which is a lot.
These are not the numbers put out by the wp High Port pump gas heads done by Barton, Robbinson and those guys, 890-910+ engines but its still a lot.
One thing I do know about the High Port vs the SD CNC std port E head is they have lot better flow and velocity at mid lifts. Better on a smaller stock block engine I think. And the High Port likes .750+ lift and does not have so much mid lift flow capability. Its just a bigger head.
I just want something aluminum and shiny on top of my engine.
Its been too long and I deserve them.
If you want a really nice set of Highports I'd suggest having Jim Robertson do them. He knows what it takes to get the correct port shape for making big power on pump gas and he can set you up with a matched intake and cam to reach your goals.

btw - I am changing a few things with my Highports and I will have some parts for sale shortly. New 2.20" Ferrea 1200 series valves 11/32", guides, brand new KRE stud girdles, a custom Isky roller cam for my combination (Robertson), and much more. Let me know if you're interested.
__________________
James
'63 Tempest Street Car - 505ci IA2 with Highports
Dynoed 797hp and 707lb/ft
SDTempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
670 Heads, 67cc, pocket ported, fresh; 1.52 PRW roller rockers Josh69 Parts & Cars For Sale & Wanted 3 08-04-10 03:44PM
rockers t-bar Engine Tech Discussion - Street or Strip 5 06-08-08 12:55PM
No oil at rockers PnchoPwr Engine Tech Discussion - Street or Strip 1 04-18-07 01:19PM


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 01:22PM.

Featured Ads
Ken's Speed & Machine
Mayhem Turbocharging

Carter Cryogenics.  What can we freeze for you?

Pacific Performance Racing

Central Virginia Machine Service.  Home of the Injun Engine!

All Pontiac Engine Kits

Larry's Auto Machine.  Full serivce auto, marine machine shop, domestic and foreign.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001 - 2007 PontiacZone.com
Page generated in 0.12799 seconds with 43 queries