PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Restoration and General Tech
> Suspension - Brakes - Tires
User Name
Password

Suspension - Brakes - Tires OEM to all out Performance - Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires

sponser links

Old 04-04-10, 05:51PM   #1
turbo69BIRD

Default front brakes locked up (69 firebird drums)

I have a 1969 firebird. I have been driving it for a few weeks and its been running very well.

I noticed a little leak at the drivers front wheel cylider in the drum brakes. it would work fine but after a day or so Id have to add fluid. So I pulled it in the garage and changed the drivers front wheel cylinder. 2 things notable happened during the change (1) Ihad to heat the old wheel cyl to get the brake hose off at the W cyl. (2) I used my mighty vac for the first time to bleed the brakes( usually I use 2 people).

So This morning I go to use the car and I get about a block away and the brakes in front are dragging. BAD!

I get home and there just about on fire there so hot. BOTH SIDES!
So I pop the master cyl cover to see if the pressure relieves and nothing! (Fully locked still)

Then I step on the brake with the master cyl cover off (usually its like old faithful shooting fluid in the air) NOTHING just like the cover is still on.

What do you guys think?

When I get home I am gonna try to bleed the line at the cylinder and see what happens.
turbo69BIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-10, 04:17AM   #2
67fire

Piston in the MC partially depressed?
I would take the MC off and check the travel and for debris.

Eric
67fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-12, 12:14AM   #3
jenwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69BIRD View Post
I have a 1969 firebird. I have been driving it for a few weeks and its been running very well.

I noticed a little leak at the drivers front wheel cylider in the drum brakes. it would work fine but after a day or so Id have to add fluid. So I pulled it in the garage and changed the drivers front wheel cylinder. 2 things notable happened during the change (1) I had to heat the old wheel cyl to get the brake hose off at the W cyl. (2) I used my mighty vac for the first time to bleed the brakes( usually I use 2 people).

So This morning I go to use the car and I get about a block away and the brakes in front are dragging. BAD!

I get home and there just about on fire there so hot. BOTH SIDES!
So I pop the master cyl cover to see if the pressure relieves and nothing! (Fully locked still)

Then I step on the brake with the master cyl cover off (usually its like old faithful shooting fluid in the air) NOTHING just like the cover is still on.

What do you guys think?

When I get home I am gonna try to bleed the line at the cylinder and see what happens.

Hi mate, how’s your firebird now? My Trans am had the same situation, front brakes randomly locked up, I took some pics of it and hopefully I could post it here… I bled the brakes when I got home and they unlocked themselves… why did they lock up randomly and what is a fix so they won’t do it again?
jenwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-12, 03:00AM   #4
sprint250
Moteesuh

Self adjuster on drum brakes initially set too tight or malfunctioning?
Combination valve or residual valve for fronts is malfunctioning?
Old 08-08-12, 10:56AM   #5
turbo69BIRD

Mine was very simple, the wheel cylinders were of a different design than the factory. I bought napa brand that matched up with some old originsls I had and never had a problem again

Ive driven the car to events all over the north east in 95 degree heat never an issue since
turbo69BIRD is offline   Reply With Quote