PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Restoration and General Tech
> Suspension - Brakes - Tires
User Name
Password

Suspension - Brakes - Tires OEM to all out Performance - Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires

sponser links

Old 11-18-09, 03:50PM   #1
Paul Cramm

Default Wheel/Tire Opinions

I just took delivery of my (new to me) 1973 Trans Am. It is Brewster Green and running bone stock 15x7 Rally IIs. I am looking to do something with the wheel/tire combo. I just think a 17" rim diameter with an extra inch of width will fill the wheel wells out a bit better, provide a slightly more "agressive" look and provide better handling. I definitely do NOT want to go 18" or bigger. I also really like a 'vintage' look for this largely original car.

I cannot justify the coin for a set of billet wheels. If I could, I would probably go with the Billett Honeycombs from Year One or Billett Rally II's in 17x8 from Wheel Vintiques.

Money being a consideration, I have considered Wheel Vintiques steel Rally II's, but the largest size they come in is 16x8 and I don't know if one inch in each direction will really seem like it was worth the expense. You can see them here: http://wheelvintiques.myshopify.com/products/60-1

I have also thought of Year One's 17" snowflakes with black in between the spokes. Here: http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/f...ain2.asp?cat=4 I think they would look pretty good, although I know I would be "crossing eras" with a snowflake-style rims on an early 70's TA.

A compromise would be a set of the new Cragar S/S with the matte-finish silver spokes for a more 'vintage-y' feel. You can check them out here: http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/wheel...ubcat3=1071110 These are available in 17x8 which isn't obnoxious looking, especially with non-staggered 245-45-17 rubber all the way around.

The thing I like about each of these options is that each one compliments the original character of the car in a different way. The Rally II is clearly the "stockest" choice. The tastefully oversized black insert snowflakes really scream "Trans Am" and the Cragars with the 60's-ish matte grey spokes are clearly aftermarket, but consistent with the early 70's era of the car. I know someone is bound to love any one of these choices and someone else is bound to hate each option as well. I'm just seeking some generalized feedback before I pull the trigger.

So, what do you all think? 16x8 Rally IIs, 17x9 Year One Snowflakes, or 17x8 grey center Cragar S/S???

Thank You All!!!
Paul Cramm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-09, 04:25PM   #2
g_man

Paul: When I look at those rims I myself am in for the more traditional look. On Year Ones web site they list 17 X 9's for $2735.00 or for $683.00 each. You can go to EBay and see where they (Year One!) list the same rim for $749.00 and states in the ad for four rims?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-1...Q5fAccessories (set of 4)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-1...Q5fAccessories (set of 4)

Thatís a difference of $1,986.00 for the exact same product. I have to wonder why?
Soon to be 2005 3.8L Supercharged with 4T65-E Transmission for power and drive
g_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 12:43PM   #3
Paul Cramm

Default Billitt Aluminum v. Cast

G-man,

Thanks for the reply. I think the difference in price with the Year One rims is between the Billitt Aluminum vs. the cast aluminum version. The Billitts are PRICEY. They unfortunately do NOT make a less expensive cast version of either Rally IIs or the early 70's Honeycomb style, though both are offered in Billitt.

I also am really leaning toward the 17" snowflakes. Year One guarantees fitment and they are a traditional TA style wheel. I think the fact that they are a bit more 'modern' than the 73 car would provide a subtle 'resto-mod' feel to the car which I don't mind. Let me try to attach a sample pic of how it might look.

Man, if I could get 17x8 Rally II style wheels for the same proce as the cast Y/O Snowflakes, I would do it in a minute.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snowflakes.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	20582  
Old 11-22-09, 12:37AM   #4
johnsma22
Holy Roller

Just to give you some ideas. Here's my '76 with 17x8 Torque Thrust II's with 4.75" of backspacing all the way around. The tires are BFG g-Force KDWS's at 255/50/17 all the way around. I like the look of 17's on these cars but I would go any larger. Just doesn't look right to me. As it was I decided to go with a 50's series tire because I like the taller sidewall of the 50's over the real skinny look of the 40's series tires. They just fill out the wheel wells better, IMHO.

The tire choices are vast in 17". I went with this combo because I didn't want to have to beat the rear seatbelt bulges in, roll the fenders or anything else. I didn't modify anything and nothing rubs anywhere under any driving conditions.

My car has been lowered, front and rear, by about 1.5" with the Competition Spring Kit I got from Pro-Touring F-Body.

There Are No Stupid Questions, But There Are A Lot Of Inquisitive Idiots!

johnsma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-09, 10:23AM   #5
Jeffs 64

I'd keep the 15" rims. The stock steel rims are hub centric and steel.. To me function looks better...

I'd go with a nice set of V rated Firestone Firehawk PV-41 cop car tires on you original rims. Or have a new set of 15X7 Rallys made with 5" back space.
http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.p...ort=P&dsco=135

I tried all kinds of wheels on my 64 B body and the best I found was old fashioned chrome reverse in a 15X7 wheel with a 5" back space (wide track!)...

Johns car does look great with those wheels though..

Last edited by Jeffs 64 : 11-30-09 at 10:40AM.
Jeffs 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-10, 02:45PM   #6
72blackbird

I like the 17 x 9 YO snowflakes, but for my '76 T/A. They would look good on my '72 Firebird as well IMO, since I ran 15 x7 snowflakes on that car and liked them too, but I'm planning to go hardcore restomod and run 18's on on that car.

$800 for a set of 17 x 9's that will fit and look good on your T/A? The 17 x 9 YO snowflake is a great deal. Either silver or gold would look good on your car.

Geno
72blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 03:23PM   #7
Paul Cramm

Default Thank You!

Thank you all for the feedback. I always like hearing different thoughts and opinions before pulling the trigger on anything big. I also am leaning toward the Year One 17" Snowflakes. Based on the dark shade of 'Breswter' Green along with the black interior, I am leaning toward black inserts between the polished face of the spokes. If my car had saddle interior, I would lean toward the gold inserts. The silver wheels are pretty, but I kind of think that painting the inserts between the faces of the snowflake spokes just sort of sets the wheel off a bit.

In the mean time, the rubber on my factory 15x7 Rally IIs is practically brand new, so it's kind of tough for me to justify close to $2k by the time I add tires, lug nuts, center caps, mounting and balancing at the present time. I would like to swap out the old cracked rubber suspension and body mount bushings for new poly bushings and also add new gas shocks. That's probably more 'productive' use of any free bucks I have this spring and then pull the trigger on the rolling stock after the tread on the current tires has given me a little more functional use.

That being said, I found some aftermarked polished trim rings and nice black "PMD" center caps on eBay for under $200 bucks. I know these parts are not technically 'period-correct' as Pontiac went with the brushed trim rings and center caps in 73, but man those polished trim rings and black on red PMD caps give those old Rally II's a whole new feel. I darned near want to stick with that look but maybe go with 15x8 Rally IIs from Wheel Vintiques just to spread the tires out an extra inch in the wheel wells. Decisions, decisions!
Old 07-14-12, 03:27AM   #8
jenwhite

hi everyone... sorry for restoring this post, I was just interested to see your opinions regarding your tire experiences... could you share any ideas of what is the risk of using cheap tires? thank you
jenwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-12, 12:24PM   #9
Mb125

Depends what you are looking for as far as tires. Most of the tires out there have little or no natural rubber and are all synthetic. Depending in what part of the country determines how long they last. Heat and sun do a number on these non rubber tires which leads to cracking and seperation from the belts.
Do your research before you buy.
You get what you pay for.
Old 07-17-12, 11:01PM   #10
jenwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb125 View Post
Depends what you are looking for as far as tires. Most of the tires out there have little or no natural rubber and are all synthetic. Depending in what part of the country determines how long they last. Heat and sun do a number on these non rubber tires which leads to cracking and seperation from the belts.
Do your research before you buy.
You get what you pay for.

thanks man. this is helpful... got a lot of point here. i'll share this to my buddy
jenwhite is offline   Reply With Quote