> Member's Projects in progress
User Name
Password

Member's Projects in progress Show us what you're working on

sponser links

Old 03-21-19, 10:55AM   #1
MattK

Default 65 Cat 2D Post

Wish I had good news, but I don't. This project stalled when i sent it to "paint jail" in the fall of 2015. It's my fault for not going with someone local and reputable. I also blame the painter that has used every excuse in the book to buy more time. Of course these guys want money up front...as much as they can get. It's coming home next month for sure, but it'll only have the body work done, no color is my best guess. If it's painted, great, but if not I move on and find the funds to have a local shop do the work. Damn near a 20 year journey to get it on the road. Kind of ridiculous when you think about it.

Some of you guys may know my car from posts on PY.
MattK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-19, 11:33AM   #2
Mb125

This situation is more and more common these days. No one has any pride or values.
Old 03-21-19, 06:54PM   #3
Gach
Administrator

Boy that all sounds familiar.
Old 03-21-19, 06:56PM   #4
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb125 View Post
This situation is more and more common these days. No one has any pride or values.
Yep the get a chunk of money and use it to finish the one thatís been sitting for last six months.
Old 03-21-19, 07:05PM   #5
Gach
Administrator

Hereís whatís kid of going on, when finally had money to buy Rocker Shaft, heres what I got, you pay us up front take 6-8 weeks. Finally I called direct, week later I had it. Little conversation and I was told, yes they order 4-5 at time, but we are still owed for two sets. I guess I was a paying customer. So kid of walk away with the thought they some of them are in debted to these companies. Names .LOL
Old 03-21-19, 10:49PM   #6
MattK

As far as projects go, wish I never started it. Acquired in 2000, drove it to POCI in 01 and ripped it apart that fall. Getting through the drought of being newly married with a newborn 04 no problem. I chipped away at everything but the body and finally started to patch it up around 13. Hand formed, butt welded patches, here and there...self taught. Finally threw in the towel in 15 and looked for a painter. Now 3+ years later the body work is done, but unpainted. Paid for it, but I truly canít wait another year. Most recent pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13F946C4-C474-436B-9A9A-A4E6F8743256.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	29644  
Old 03-22-19, 01:54AM   #7
Gach
Administrator

I feel your frustration, wish you were closer, my son did paint and body work for 10 years, did some nice show cars. 90 % is done, I know itís not cheap anymore. Looks like all itís needs now is Prep for paint. Just trying to give you some encouragement, if you could fine someone to paint it. Think you could definitely do the prep work. Iíve done it, many times before. Couple of days and it could be ready for paint.
Old 03-22-19, 09:03AM   #8
JSPONT

Happens a lot. I have my car for 20 years, it's clean but needs paint. I had taken the nose off to do bushings and other things, while it was off I had it media blasted. Primed it and base coated it the color it is going to be. I enjoy the car so much, I do not want to lay it up for paint. Every winter it seems I am doing some other mechanical of upgrade I want.
We all know your pain. Hang in there. It will be worth it. I might be stripping and priming my car this summer, hell maybe even paint, 20 years, it's about time.
JSPONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-19, 12:17AM   #9
Mb125

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
Happens a lot. I have my car for 20 years, it's clean but needs paint. I had taken the nose off to do bushings and other things, while it was off I had it media blasted. Primed it and base coated it the color it is going to be. I enjoy the car so much, I do not want to lay it up for paint. Every winter it seems I am doing some other mechanical of upgrade I want.
We all know your pain. Hang in there. It will be worth it. I might be stripping and priming my car this summer, hell maybe even paint, 20 years, it's about time.
Jeff you will have a done car without any drama if you end up doing yourself. You and I know that.
Old 03-26-19, 03:18PM   #10
MattK

There was a time when I considered doing all of the body and paint myself. Bought some equipment and enough supplies to start. Didn’t happen. However, I did learn how to form and butt weld patches. Rebuilt the inner and outer rear quarter along with the trunk pan. It wasn’t fun. Did the other side to a point and punted once I found the paint guy. Oh well. He finished the rest of the metal work and also smoother out the body. Then he stopped for whatever reason. It’s not worth it to wait any longer.