> Engine Tech Discussion - Street or Strip
User Name
Password

sponser links

Old 11-26-18, 02:12PM   #16
4speed
Dedicated

Thanks for the input guys!!

The last time i checked the dynamic compression it was 195-200 psi, i use Edelbrock RPM intake. TDC on the balancer is at zero when nr 1 is up thats what i can say, i havent measured the balancer. it is maybe me expecting to much i dont know.
4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-18, 02:25PM   #17
steve25

Well you have the needed cylinder pressure for great throttle response, but how much can you increase the base timing until the motor gets hard to Crank , or how much mechanical timing can you bring in untill the motor pings at part throttle loads with out any vacuum advance hooked up?
steve25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-18, 02:52PM   #18
tjs44
Ram Air V Guru

Guys,I have lived this stuff for the last 22 years!That duration and that rear gear unless a 3.42 first gear trans is going to be sluggish and wont like being under 2000 in high gear.Putting any advance in it from where its at now will only raise the pumping compression and might bring on detonation in 4th gear.DONT think of this as a race car.Numbers dont lie,I have been through this stuff with WAY too many cam changes and cam timing.JMHO,tom
tjs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-18, 05:39PM   #19
4speed
Dedicated

Tom! i fully understand what you mean and you have a point there, i must clarify that i dont think of it as sluggish when driving, its on idle when i fast pump on the trottle i want more response.
The timing is set on 32dgr locked out. when i did that the engine became more responsive wich i knew would be the case.

I think i will have to open her up and meassure the timing,, just to
exclude something.
Old 11-26-18, 07:32PM   #20
tjs44
Ram Air V Guru

I meant adv on the cam not timing might add pumping comp.I have never run a locked dist on the street.I usually run 12 int and 32 total all in by 2000 with alu heads and same int on irons but usually 36 total. But also run vac adv on all my engines except for one which is a 421 SD dist without it.Tom
Old 11-27-18, 01:04AM   #21
Gach
Administrator

I would check it..see if its at 110 ( usually cam card will say install it at and give you a number) I wouldnt be surprised if you found it at 112, if so advance it 4 degrees. allowing for chain Stretch.

Thing Ive notice with those timming chains is there way off installed Straight up.
sounds like you have the newer CNC chamber E-heads they like less timming so your timing sounds about right. the earlier E-heads liked 36 total.
Old 11-29-18, 08:46AM   #22
4speed
Dedicated

No GACH i have not, i use the old ones but have made some adjustments to the chamber (welding and grinding) and some porting, but still have std valves.

I now more and more feel the need to take the engine apart and meassure the camshaft, and maybe in that process change the camshaft, i know that these ramps can fail on me anytime so i was leaning on a roller if that should be the case.
Old 11-29-18, 09:00AM   #23
4speed
Dedicated

E-Head
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC190119pz.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	29522   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC190138pz.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	29523  
Old 11-29-18, 06:53PM   #24
Gach
Administrator

Nice ! You have any idea what the flow ?
Old 11-30-18, 08:34PM   #25
73ta

Run more initial advance, 18 degrees and make the total advance 36 degrees. Have it all in as soon as possible. I'm running eheads with those timing specs with no pinging problems. Cam is old faithfull from SD performance with CNC'd heads and intake.
73ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-18, 09:28PM   #26
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ta View Post
Run more initial advance, 18 degrees and make the total advance 36 degrees. Have it all in as soon as possible. I'm running eheads with those timing specs with no pinging problems. Cam is old faithfull from SD performance with CNC'd heads and intake.
Yeah Id give that a shot...see what it does.
Old 11-30-18, 11:43PM   #27
tjs44
Ram Air V Guru

Check to see if there is a chassis dyno anywhere near you.Put it on there and power time it and see what the engine likes.Cant hurt.Tom
Old 12-01-18, 08:14AM   #28
4speed
Dedicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ta View Post
I have the timing locked out already at 32 dgr and no pingin, little hard to start when warm but i solved that problem wiht a swich to cut the battery + to the msd box, did try teh msd retard box but i felt the clutch did rattle somtimes, this is better.

Gach i have no numbers on the heads.

tjs44 You are right! but now im leaning towards a teardown and feel i could save the trip to the dyno for the spring when im done with the engine.

im going to start a new thread in the Engine Buildups in progress section, because im going to need som advise