PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Restoration and General Tech
> Paint and Body Q&A
User Name
Password

Paint and Body Q&A Bodyshop tips, tricks, Q&A in here.

sponser links

Old 06-01-06, 07:39PM   #1
steve v

Default 70 Orbit Orange Paint Supplier Advice

I'm ready to spray some color on my '70 Judge & I'm having a hard time finding a paint supplier that can mix the Orbit Orange color to match the original color.
I have some of the original panels for a color sample with the best being a pass door jamb area & under the original stripes where it still has the original paint.

A couple of different paint dealers have used their computer camera sytem to get a bc/cc formula but they just haven't been able to get the right mix yet. I realize that laquer was used in the 70's & no one mixes that any more but you'd think someone would have a paint mix for this color.

Has anyone sucessfully mixed a good bc/cc color? I'd even go with a single stage if the color was right.

To date I've had Dupont mix bc/cc paint from 2 different jobbers. The factory formula is WAY off, the Nason 5210 color is about the same, the custom camera color loses the yellow/orange hues in different lights. I tried S/W A.E. color & it's more on the orange side also. All totaled I have over 2 gallons of paint that I can't use on this car. Any helpful tips would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Steve
steve v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-06, 09:29PM   #2
Harpoon

ANY HELP HERE FOR STEVE on this topic?

I told him to post over here and you all would help him out.

Hes a PONTIAC friend in RALEIGH so any help is appreciated.
Thanks....Harpoon
Old 06-03-06, 01:05PM   #3
72 LeMans
PZ Pimp Daddy

I would take one of the cans off your hands for you. I am doing mine this month, and having the same problem, which ever one is the closest if you want to part with them.
Old 06-04-06, 10:59PM   #4
steve v

So far ppg's factory formula AE single stage is about the closest match. I was hoping to go with a bc/cc system but it's not worth the headache of finding a paint supplier that can get the formula/color right.

72 Lemans,
I have one full gallon of Dupont Chroma Base but your probably gonna do just as well to get something localy. I'm not sure but UPS may not ship paint without considering it a hazmat material.

Steve
Old 06-14-06, 03:10PM   #5
Chris69bird

Try paintstratch.com, they are very well known in the Corvette world for their precise color match paint.
Chris69bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-06, 04:01PM   #6
Harpoon

Steve, How about GARY in MD? You know him?
I will see what I can find out give me few days.
he in body shop biz and his was covered in article years ago one of the rags.
Hes done/owns a OO JUDGE before and owns about three of them in his collection.
Old 06-21-06, 02:34PM   #7
steve v

Jeff,
Another freind also mentioned Gary for the color info. He gave me a contact # but if your gonna see him & don't mind asking I'd appreciate any info.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 06-21-06, 05:38PM   #8
Goatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve v
I'm not sure but UPS may not ship paint without considering it a hazmat material.

Steve
Correct. Paint is considered HAZMAT. Even the little 1/2 oz bottles of touch up paint that we get.
Old 06-24-06, 11:34AM   #9
The Judge Shack

I am watching this closely as I will be painting a 70 Orbit Orange in 2 months from now and did not realize that it was that hard to get the correct paint. Steve please let us know what you end up doing and find out. I have a Dupont Formula from back in 98 I had them print out for me... Guess I will have to look for it and post it to see if it is the same as what you have.

Good Luck
Old 06-24-06, 01:28PM   #10
Harpoon

Steve, might be better to go ahead and call yourself. So nothing is "lost in translation" and you may find something else to ask about.
Old 07-15-06, 12:18AM   #11
steve v

Well I ended up using PPG's single stage factory formula on the Judge. The test panel I sprayed was a little off from the color under the original stripes but in the end I think it looks good. AE is a little harder to work with than bc/cc but it'll look good when it's done.

Sherwin-Williams single stage was close also & they did say the factory could come up with a bc/cc formula but I've heard that promise before from the other guy's only to be disappointed. Next is to give the firewall/bottoms of the floorboards a coat of black & back on the frame it goes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OOJudge 028.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	1,010.4 KB
ID:	10652   Click image for larger version

Name:	OOJudge 030.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	667.6 KB
ID:	10653  
Old 07-15-06, 12:06PM   #12
Harpoon

Nice Job Steve! Didnt know you can paint too!
Old 07-15-06, 12:22PM   #13
1977transam

I am sittin in my chair at work drooling all over my keyboard. Steve that looks increadable. I give you out of 5 for that one.
Old 07-15-06, 12:49PM   #14
Harpoon

From what I have come to know of Steve, its going to be 110 % or he wouldnt take a pic!

While you have the gun out how about I tow this Judge over for a "freshen up"?
Old 07-16-06, 01:16AM   #15
steve v

Thanks for the compliments, it seems like it's been a long time coming but getting the paint on it is a good milestone on this project.

It doesn't show in the pics but it seems like all of the bugs in the neighborhood will wait until there's wet paint on your car THEN stop over for a visit! It'd be nice to have a spray booth to work out of but you work with what you have I guess.

Next the rest of the sheetmetal gets some color & I'll get the motor & trans off to the machine/trans shops.

Steve