Engine Tech
> Aftermarket News & Products
User Name
Password

sponser links

Old 09-23-07, 01:16PM   #1
7t2cv

Default CV-1/moroso valve cover mods

some have asked for the procedure to modify the moroso 68040 valve covers to fit the CV-1 heads. heres the way i did it-

pic #1-
use hacksaw to cut 2" slice on both intake side bolt scallops. use die grinder to remove bolt boss.

pic #2, #3-
support cover on flat surface allowing rail to hang over edge, then use hammer and piece of wood to bend flaps down. flatten overlap to match surrounding cover wall.

pic #4-
use quick set epoxy (i used jb weld quik) to seal up slot and flange. this stuff sets up in about 5 minutes so when it gets to a putty like consistency, you can shape the flange plug to match the rail surface.

pic #5-
use hand file to dress down any high spots on flange rail. rough up surrounding intake flange rail to enhance silicone adhesion in this area. run bead of silicone around perimeter of rail and affix gasket. allow silicone to cure before installation.

note:
ill be testing this cover for leaks without replacing the 2 intake flange holes.

thanks,
jim
www.rolandracing.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	14016   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	14017   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	14018   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	14019   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	14020  

7t2cv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-07, 05:41PM   #2
Gach
Administrator

That looks easy enough to do.
Gach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-07, 06:43PM   #3
Jagtec1
Drag Racer

So there are NO bolts on the intake side of the valve covers for these heads?
2008 Ram Racing AMI #3
Jagtec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-07, 06:49PM   #4
Bnick166

So basically, If I were having someone build sheetmetal valvecovers using the 351C/Boss 302 valvecover araingement...I'd just have them omit the 2 upper valvecover bolt bosses entirely? Seems like it would lead to leakage...pretty long span...maybe just use a thicker rail. HMMM, will be anxious to hear how that one works after some useage and heat/cool cycles. Thanks for the info Jim.
Bnick166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-07, 08:54PM   #5
7t2cv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagtec1 View Post
So there are NO bolts on the intake side of the valve covers for these heads?

the CV-1 does have 2 bolts on the intake flange that are relocated from the 68040 positions. if upcoming testing shows the bolts are needed, then a separate procedure will add them.

thanks,
jim
Old 09-23-07, 11:08PM   #6
Pontiac Dude
Engine Builder

Question Now a person has to modify a set of stock covers?

Why didn't you just use the 351C cover locations to match the design of the 351C head modified for Pontiac use.
These started out as a Street head and priced way under the other high flowing heads on the market. And with a lot of great mods and ideas.

Why make it that people have to buy a set of $400 billet covers instead of a set of $20 Chinese tall chrome covers?

https://www.facebook.com/kensautomachineshop/
Pontiac Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-07, 01:11AM   #7
7t2cv

pdude,
pontiac's eiie CV-1 rocker arrangement wont clear the ford eiei cover. the bolt bosses flattened out in the above procedure are required to give the needed rocker clearance.
i certainly hope that custom covers arent $400. im not at liberty to quote mark strelka's prices, but i believe he has an entry level cover for less than $400.

thanks,
jim
Old 09-24-07, 02:25AM   #8
Pontiac Jack
M/T Hemi Guru

I see that the most recent post about Roland's VC-1 transparent-top covers for these heads say "Fall '07 Release". Any update on the availability-date of these? I assume they use all of the heads' cover fastener locations?
Pontiac Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-07, 12:13PM   #9
Pontiac Dude
Engine Builder

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7t2cv View Post
pdude,
pontiac's eiie CV-1 rocker arrangement wont clear the ford eiei cover. the bolt bosses flattened out in the above procedure are required to give the needed rocker clearance.
i certainly hope that custom covers arent $400. im not at liberty to quote mark strelka's prices, but i believe he has an entry level cover for less than $400.

thanks,
jim
The trouble is that with recent posts about getting covers from that source a lot of people won't be using him. Waiting a year or never getting a set for covers just doesn't get it done when ya have your heads ready to go. And Having hung quite a few people out to dry.
That sorta limits the availability of covers attainable?

https://www.facebook.com/kensautomachineshop/
Pontiac Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-07, 03:54PM   #10
79T/Aman

I understand there may not be much oil sitting at the top of the valve cover but not having those 2 bolts is cause for concern especialy when the next 2 bolts are not in line.
79T/Aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-07, 09:48PM   #11
7t2cv

unfortunately, the strelka family has succumbed to health issues. my thoughts and prayers go out for their speedy recovery.
therefore i find it necessary to implement the valve cover contingency program. roland racing will be offering billet valve covers for the new cv-1 heads at the time of availability. target pricing will be $250 - $275/pr. they will be a no frills utility cover for the initial runs of CV-1 production.
thanks,
jim
Old 09-26-07, 10:02PM   #12
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7t2cv View Post
unfortunately, the strelka family has succumbed to health issues. my thoughts and prayers go out for their speedy recovery.
therefore i find it necessary to implement the valve cover contingency program. roland racing will be offering billet valve covers for the new cv-1 heads at the time of availability. target pricing will be $250 - $275/pr. they will be a no frills utility cover for the initial runs of CV-1 production.
thanks,
jim
That's fantastic and the price is right too. That's affordable Jim.
Old 09-26-07, 11:55PM   #13
Bnick166

When you say...roland racing will be offering billet valve covers for $250 - $275/pr. they will be a no frills utility cover....The "no frills utility part seems to cloud thing a little. Any pics to give us some kind of idea what they will look like? I realize they won't be jewels...but a "utility cover sounds......ummmm....ugly. If a chap was to polish the "Utility Covers" up to a mirror finish, It wouldn't be the same as...say....polishing a turd, would it?
Bnick166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 12:04AM   #14
Gach
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnick166 View Post
When you say...roland racing will be offering billet valve covers for $250 - $275/pr. they will be a no frills utility cover....The "no frills utility part seems to cloud thing a little. Any pics to give us some kind of idea what they will look like? I realize they won't be jewels...but a "utility cover sounds......ummmm....ugly. If a chap was to polish the "Utility Covers" up to a mirror finish, It wouldn't be the same as...say....polishing a turd, would it?
I think what he's trying to tell you basicly is no in-graving. It's not a
big deal getting them polish.
Old 09-27-07, 12:24AM   #15
GET IT ON
Pontiholic

It's a move to have all needed parts avalible so a person can buy the needed parts to run. Saves a big hassle when you want/need to get the car running. Nothing is worst than all together except part whatcamacallit and then you find out part whatcamacallit isn't avalible because it isn't even made!
GET IT ON is offline   Reply With Quote