PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> Tiger Head
User Name
Password

Tiger Head Tiger Head owners can give there opinions along with their track results

sponser links

Old 11-23-09, 04:13PM   #31
Mb125

Energy value is an expression of the potential energy in the fuel. This energy is measured in BTU's (British Thermal Units) per POUND, not per gallon. This data is important as Air Fuel (AF) ratio is measured in weight and not volume. This value may vary with compression ratio and engine speed.
Old 11-23-09, 07:01PM   #32
twinturrbo406
Pontiholic

Default Honest question ??

My last post was really more of question, this happened with a motor, and we weren't really sure why ? It was a small difference, but it was there.
twinturrbo406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 10:35PM   #33
Dragncar

I will take a stab at it twin.... or guess.
Could it be because the VE goes up with a engine with CR. Moves more air, better at cooling things down.
Pump gas engine, air is more lazy, hangs around longer and heats things up.
Dragncar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-09, 03:28AM   #34
trdbrd

Whats the story on the Tiger street heads? kind of spendy at just under 6k or 6k+ with a cam to go with them. Is the tiger intake required also or will my victor work? Or would it cost as much to get the victor to perform the same with the tiger heads to be on par with the Tiger intake?

Kinda strange having multiple choices with more to come with a Pontiac. Who would have guessed 20 years ago.
Old 11-24-09, 09:45AM   #35
Big Speed

Trdbrd , the Tiger street package can be used with a Victor intake and a set of manifold spacers . your application would determine how much manifold work would be required with the victor . I've had my box stock Tiger intake support 1,050 h.p. on my dyno with a port match only on a 541c.i. . Distribution is very good for an out of the box manifold and the power...well , how much do need to make ? If you do decide to go Tiger head...get the manifold as well. There's major power potential with room to grow! I'm assuming this is a pump gas application? If so , over 800 h.p. with the right components on the bowl port street package is VERY possible . Good luck with your decision . Johnny
Big Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-09, 01:33AM   #36
twinturrbo406
Pontiholic

Default ????

What is the smallest bore i can put a set of Tigars on ??
Old 11-25-09, 08:49AM   #37
Big Speed

We originally set it up for 4.310" minimum. There's been talk of them on a smaller bore...but we never felt the need to go there. If your using this head , then you probably need the IA2 block . It would be a one of , hand ported deal to get the chamber width correct on a small bore , but it could be done. We've fooled with it in the shop. But our CNC'd chambers need to be on a larger bore.
Old 11-25-09, 09:03AM   #38
Big Speed

I should add that valve size would also come into play. You would have to use a smaller valve configuration to make it work , which would be custom stainless or Titainium from us or All Pontiac (easy since we have the prints) and not a lot more money than a shelf set. Say a 2.200 int. and 1.700-1.750 ex. maybe. I don't think I have enough material at the throat to size the valves much smaller than that and make the percentages work. It would be a fun project ! Johnny
Old 11-25-09, 02:22PM   #39
twinturrbo406
Pontiholic

Default Ball Park ??

So what would a ball park price be for something like that ? So what would be the smallest bore in your opinion ?? 4.250 maybe ??
Old 11-25-09, 09:43PM   #40
Big Speed

Yeah Twinturbo , 4.250" would probably be a minimum . The seat rings that the head has pockets for are 2.340 int. and 1.830 ex. o.d. and they butt each other . so to reduce the size of the rings and such would be a little more difficult . Unless there was more of a call for it...then we could get new castings before they go for machining and either leave the seat pockets out or give them a specific size to machine them for a short run of heads. But at some point I'll need more material in the bowl to get the throats correct for smaller valves . But then they might go on an even smaller bore . Price wise...I could'nt call it for sure , if someone was really interested I'd sort all out in $ . It would be pretty cool though...The cross sections in the intake port are smallish as cast , and with a 2.150-2.200 valve would still require some minor work , but has great velocity and on a smallish c.i. engine would kick some butt. We've never had a call for this! It's where I don't think we compete with the other heads...nor do we try to. But we could . Won't be a bang for the buck thing... but for someone who had to have it! Cheers , Johnny
Old 11-26-09, 01:43PM   #41
twinturrbo406
Pontiholic

Default !!!!!!!!!!

Happy Turkey Day Tigar Boyz !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-27-09, 09:29PM   #42
Big Speed

All Pontiac is having a winter sale on Tiger heads,IA2 blocks and tiger manifolds, call Frank or Bob for details. Bill C.
Old 12-04-09, 10:50PM   #43
twinturrbo406
Pontiholic

Default Valve Relocation ??

Hey guys, i was just wondering where or who the idea/work for the valve relocation in the new generation Tigers was thought up ?? Is this common technique for like a Pro Stock head or something ?? Just wondering who thought it up, because i'm curious as to how much time it would take if this was tried on an E-Head. And what are your thoughts on this being applied to an E-Head ??
Not sure if there is enough material in there to pull it off. Does Jammel's heads that Gaby did have this type of relocation on the intake valve ??
Old 12-05-09, 08:42PM   #44
Gaby Labiosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturrbo406 View Post
Hey guys, i was just wondering where or who the idea/work for the valve relocation in the new generation Tigers was thought up ?? Is this common technique for like a Pro Stock head or something ?? Just wondering who thought it up, because i'm curious as to how much time it would take if this was tried on an E-Head. And what are your thoughts on this being applied to an E-Head ??
Not sure if there is enough material in there to pull it off. Does Jammel's heads that Gaby did have this type of relocation on the intake valve ??
Twinturbo,

Are you a head porter?? I just realized that it said that under your name..

It's not a Pro Stock or Tiger specific thing, valve location is #1. Cylinder head designers design valve locations first into their cylinder heads before they start designing ports.

You can design the best port in the world, and if the valve is in the wrong place it will NOT run.

Once again, valve locations are dependent on the application!

REAL track results SEPARATE the real guys from the fake internet heros!
Gaby Labiosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 09:42PM   #45
twinturrbo406
Pontiholic

Yes, i'm a Head Porter. But, i've never had the chance to work on any of these heads yet, so i'm forced to ask alot of questions. So how long did it take you to figure out where the valve should be in the Tiger Head ? Did you experiment with different locations, or just nail the first time ??