> Engine Tech Discussion - Street or Strip
User Name
Password

sponser links

Old 06-27-19, 12:46AM   #16
Mb125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
OK,thing will not turn over or start. But sometimes it does. Can do it for a few days then goes back to not starting. Where do I start ? Is taking it to the guy with the Volvo reader the right start ?
Thanks for any help with this.
Bad starter will have intermittent cranking problems, also can be ignition switch or security if it has a security chip in the key.
Start with basics.
Check you are getting 12v at starter when key is in crank position first.
Work back from there, could be bad connection in harness.
You could always pull the wire off the S terminal and hook up a jumper to battery and see if you get it to crank. If you can get it to crank 10-20 times without a problem the starter is good.
Old 06-27-19, 07:03PM   #17
keith
Stubborn old goat

Im no expert mechanic for sure, and loved the relative simplicity when I popped my 64 GTO hood back in the day, easy to make everything look pretty and understand basically what it did.
My daily driver now is an 06 Lincoln L-series limo(the shortest one .. +12" from a TownCar) I got for 500$ as the trans was shot .. it had 380000 miles. Had replacement trans installed with 3 yr warranty now have 2500.00 in car ...runs great, pretty and nice to drive. Figuring I might try Uber and/or Lyft with it. I was going to try to replace trans myself but decided to pay someone .. real point of this post is I had bought the Ford service manual CD for the car which went through every nut and bolt of the trans r + r as well as having a troubleshooting matrix for just about anything their mechanics need to fix anything on the car, step by step. Maybe one exists for the Volvo that would help you??
keith is offline   Reply With Quote