PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> Grape Vine - General Discussion
User Name
Password

Grape Vine - General Discussion Shop Talk - Bench Racing, No political or religious topics are allowed.

sponser links

Old 06-26-19, 12:32AM   #31
Dragncar

Take a look at any decent sized lobe on a Pontiac or sbc roller cam. They are about the same size. The lobes are almost square. Going from the base circle to a 90 deg hit straight up. That is hard on things.
55mm ends all that for moderate rollers. Mush more gentle lift and backside of cam. Springs do not get beat up. Stiffer which is a great thing for valve train geometry. Its a win-win. Just have to pay your 1000 bucks more for everything. But once you do you have it. its yours and you get the benefits for the life of the engine.
Well, its quite a bit more than 1000$ by the time you are done. If Gach did not give me a good deal on Jacks old Jessels I would not be doing it.
Dragncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-19, 02:17AM   #32
Gach
Administrator

The big advantage of 55mm cam is the lube size you just cannot get that big of a lube on a standard roller. When I was going for all the pony’s biggest lube I could get was .465 lube. So with 1.8 rocker that’s 837 lift

But 55 mm with .500 lube 1.80 rocker 900 lift. Get the picture. So in other words a 55mm with .465 lube has no advantage. With only 270 seat pressure.
So I feel that’s the biggest reason behind going 55mm cam more lift.

The other thing a E-Head only has a 5.200 valve. 2.100 install hight, a high port 6.200 god only knows what a Tiger.. Visner...Warp 6 have. You can bet they need a titanium valve. A regular steel valve would be way to heavy. At least that what Dan Barton told me about a set of high Port he did and guy was having issues with valve springs, and ended up going with titanium valves.

I never believed more seat and open would be hp lost. But definitely something with 900 open pressure definitely not going to live long on street. I know we’re talking strictly strip motors.