Password

" TURBO BUILDS " Post your Turbo build-Up or any that you have in process

sponser links

Old 12-11-09, 06:34PM   #1
DocsTA
Turbo addict

Default Im bored, so I want to do another turbo build

That pretty much says it all.

A while back we spoke of a stock 400 build to see the limits of the block in a turbo application. So...
I figure since no one has done it and so many guys have them, it would be a great project.
I have a stock 77 400 engine that I have had for a while. I am thinking of doing a basic re build and adding a small frame 70-76mm turbo to it and then bringing it to the dyno to see what it would do. Goal would be 600hp+ range
I would be doing a "budget build" that would be as many used parts that I could find on the boards. Or parts that someone wants to donate.
(totally opposite of my previous build)

The engine has been sitting for a very long time so I do not know if it is even a candidate, but I will check on it soon.

What do you guys think?

1979 Trans-Am Turbo Charged 535 IA2,
CV 1 heads with convertible exhaust option. 305cc, flowing 405cfm with mild intake port clean up

1979 Silver Anniversary 4 speed, numbers matching.
DocsTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 06:58PM   #2
GET IT ON
Pontiholic

Go for it! I know guys like Marty P have been fast with stock block turbo stuff.
GET IT ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 07:28PM   #3
turbo69BIRD

what happened with your TA?
I havent heard from you did you pull the plug for the year?

I think you should do it. Everyone seemed to lose interest when it came time to gather some funds for the project or I would have moved forward.

I have since found some really good engines really cheap but thought the Idea was DOA for the board.
turbo69BIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 07:38PM   #4
DocsTA
Turbo addict

Let me clarify.
The TA will keep the 535 in it and tear up the street and track next season. The car runs well right now, needs a few odds and ends done.I would like to get it on a dyno to tune it. But with no heat and the winter here it doesnt look like I will get anything done on it so away she goes.
It is more of bordom from not working in the garge every night that has me wanting to build something else. Besides I really want to see what a stock 400 would handle.

Jeff, you are right. Every one lost interest when it was time to "anty up" last season. I a willing to make it a go again for the fun of it. I do not have a car to run it so it would have to be a dyno rat. Unless I find a cheap rolling chassis to make a daily diver for next year. Lease is up on wifes car, she gets mine. I would rather have a fun car to zip back and forth with for a while before I get into another lease. Kicking the idea around.

Missed a 69 vert mostly done last weekend for 3500. Guy lost his storage and job etc. Would have been perfect.

CV 1 heads with convertible exhaust option. 305cc, flowing 405cfm with mild intake port clean up

Old 12-11-09, 07:43PM   #5
turbo69BIRD

I will have to look back at what marty did. I thought I remembered him using pretty exotic stuff on his project but its been a long time since I looked at it.

I know when I was building my second 455 everyone said "you need to spend all the money like marty did."

Of course at the time I didnt even know who the heck MARTY was in relation to anyone.LOL

My first 455 I had split the cylinder running carzy boost and a high compression ratio.
It ran 122 MPH in the 1/8th and then decided it had enough of my crap.LOL

Of course most of you know that I then built a 428(440) with a stock crank, SD rods, 6x heads etc and ran the 9.70's at 141.
Finally blew that one up after quite a long run with it. Then I built the 350 (all stock) ran 11.00 with it with a tv7101 That motor finnaly just succombed to my brother in laws lack of maintanance in his 67 bird.LOL

Then I built the last 2 455s I have had for a while now which were vertually Identical.
The first ran 9.70s at 145 MPH and this next 455 has only run 9.88 at 134 so far.

None had anything exotic anywhere in them except for the latest one with the fuel injection.

Any of the ford and chevy stuff we have done has been pretty exotic stuff.

a 600 HP 400 is a pretty easy deal with everything stock except Id change the rods out for an H beam.

If you wanna build this thing we can use my intake, carb, carb hat on it for the dyno as long as it hasnt sold by then.

Proabbly use one of mine or yours wastgates and/or BOV's too off our car.
Old 12-11-09, 07:46PM   #6
turbo69BIRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsTA View Post
Let me clarify.
The TA will keep the 535 in it and tear up the street and track next season. The car runs well right now, needs a few odds and ends done.I would like to get it on a dyno to tune it. But with no heat and the winter here it doesnt look like I will get anything done on it so away she goes.
It is more of bordom from not working in the garge every night that has me wanting to build something else. Besides I really want to see what a stock 400 would handle.

Jeff, you are right. Every one lost interest when it was time to "anty up" last season. I a willing to make it a go again for the fun of it. I do not have a car to run it so it would have to be a dyno rat. Unless I find a cheap rolling chassis to make a daily diver for next year. Lease is up on wifes car, she gets mine. I would rather have a fun car to zip back and forth with for a while before I get into another lease. Kicking the idea around.

Missed a 69 vert mostly done last weekend for 3500. Guy lost his storage and job etc. Would have been perfect.
was that the one in jersey?
Did he finally sell it?

I told him to post it up on this board but he never did. I already owned mine tat the time theres a few more out there I know of a nice 68 painted , new top etc just needs a drive train.
Old 12-11-09, 08:02PM   #7
DocsTA
Turbo addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69BIRD View Post
was that the one in jersey?
Did he finally sell it?

I told him to post it up on this board but he never did. I already owned mine tat the time theres a few more out there I know of a nice 68 painted , new top etc just needs a drive train.
Jersey car, yellow. Looked real nice.

Not quite sure what I will find, but there are alot of second gens out there half done that I think I will look into. Still just an idea at this point(the car) the engine i would really like to see done. Do you know where I can get a set of headers???lol

Old 12-12-09, 12:10AM   #8
turbo69BIRD

I may be able to set you up with a loaner set depending on how the fitment goes on the new RH header I have coming in the next couple of weeks.

Hopefully we will be all done and into production.

I cant do second gens/ I know alot of you guys love them but to me they are flawed.

Its like the only car ever produced where the windshield( A Pillar) post doesnt meet the top of the fender angle. Drives me crazy.LOL

Beyond that I really like the cars and they were certainly ahead of thier time.
Old 12-12-09, 12:12AM   #9
turbo69BIRD

OH yeah that car needed front fenders and a bunch of other stuff.
Far from done. You would have been into that car for $15K done easy. I can find you finished cars for that amount.

I gott a post some pics of the new vert I have this weekend.
Old 12-12-09, 12:50PM   #10
baron_

yea, I think marty's setup was pretty exotic
Small stroke crank and whatnot, lightweight to spin really high rpm

Everything cryogenically treated...splayed 4bolt caps
A lot of tricks to that setup
Old 12-12-09, 02:30PM   #11
turbo69BIRD

Thats what I thought.

I keep hearing guys talking about how it was a low budget deal.
That was not the impression I had of the whole package.

Thats OK Theres nothing wrong with spending the moeny but it is what it is and thats a high tech set up.

Mines getting a bit higher tech these days too.LOL

What was it running when it was in HPP?

Does anyone have a link to that article?

It would be nice to know a little more about it and have it be fact rather than speculation.
Old 12-12-09, 04:51PM   #12
pontiac mike

dam man, wish i was close, i would donate my 68, 400, and pay for the budget build. still mite could happen, know where we can get some headers? lol
pontiac mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-09, 04:53PM   #13
pontiac mike

already have a small holset turbo, i think its around 76mm's
Old 12-12-09, 05:07PM   #14
pontiac mike

only problem, my e-heads are 66cc's on a c&a forged flatop, mite be to much compression. the block has 2 bolt caps, but drilled for 4 bolt, the crank is no good, bad main bearing. but it does have a solid roller, and a 4150 victor manifold.
Old 12-12-09, 08:08PM   #15
turbo69BIRD

I know where theres a 455 all rebuilt for $1000 bucks.
Might be able to get that down a little.

Thats probably gonna find its way into my new bird though.LOL

Plus I think everyone wanted to do a 400 this time around since the 455 thing is kinda played out.