Engine Tech
> Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Forced Induction This section for the traditional Pontiac V8

sponser links

Old 08-03-15, 10:02AM   #1711
turbo louie

E85. That is a concern at this point. There is no one I've found yet that can tell me where the stopping point will be for it. Just like this whole build so far, I will find out on my own.. That's one thing that has surprised me with this build. In the beginning everyone was really interested in it . Now it seems its just me and the cricket's. lol. Not much interest anymore.... I think it might bother people that im trying for more and more boost.. I don't know. I am having fun doing it and in the end I will have the answers im looking for that no one can really accurately answer for me now.... So far if I listened to others I would only be @ 15 psi..

Thanks for your interest. Its always fun talking to others about what im doing.... ...
Old 08-03-15, 12:34PM   #1712
Macho78

What compression and turbo are you running?
78 Macho T/A #123 11.78@115.5 on motor 10.66@127.9 w/190 shot.
Macho78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-15, 01:06PM   #1713
turbo louie

hp76 by turbonetics..

8:75 to 1.

150 cranking psi in the cylinder..
Old 08-03-15, 01:28PM   #1714
marks73ta

Charlie, I've said this before and I'll say it again, "YOU ARE MY HERO". I watch for all of your posts and info as you work this motor. I'm fascinated by it and hope to build one for myself. But I have a certain '63 Catalina that takes most of my attention and "ALL" (LOL) of my money to get going first. You talked about the 25 psi and then the 30 psi and I knew you would be OK, but at 35 psi I was starting to get concerned. But you've done things right and it all works. Keep it up Charlie. I'm absorbing all that you put out there.

Mark
Old 08-03-15, 02:25PM   #1715
turbo louie

Well thank you Mark.

I'm having new difficulties now. The header I made keeps cracking. I have to figure out why its happening. Once I fix it I will finish tuning for 35 psi. Im starting to feel im at the end of rising the boost , but I cant help to think what it will do @ 40.. Im staring to cringe just thinking about it...lol!
Old 08-03-15, 06:02PM   #1716
turbo louie

Found a 2 inch crack in the header. Got it fix , just have to put it all back together...

If I ever getting it running right I want to get it down to the dyno....
Old 08-03-15, 10:36PM   #1717
turbo louie

I was reading about some guys turning Diesel engines into being able to run e85 with compression ratios at 18 and 19 to 1. So Im feeling a little better about running the boost im running with the e85..
Old 08-04-15, 02:05AM   #1718
SloBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo louie View Post
E85. That is a concern at this point. There is no one I've found yet that can tell me where the stopping point will be for it. Just like this whole build so far, I will find out on my own.. That's one thing that has surprised me with this build. In the beginning everyone was really interested in it . Now it seems its just me and the cricket's. lol. Not much interest anymore.... I think it might bother people that im trying for more and more boost.. I don't know. I am having fun doing it and in the end I will have the answers im looking for that no one can really accurately answer for me now.... So far if I listened to others I would only be @ 15 psi..

Thanks for your interest. Its always fun talking to others about what im doing.... ...
Seems that the forums have slowed down a lot, members of our local forum (Truestreetcars.com) have talked about that, said people on Facebook more.
Your car is a very cool build, I'm impressed. Our 3 stations that sell E-85 here been testing an average of E-70, lots of people making some high HP with it.
Keep us posted!
SloBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-15, 09:24AM   #1719
turbo louie

e70? Wow I hope that's not the case over here !

I will keep you posted thanks.

I found this through a friend of mine, When I have a few extra bucks I plan I buying one. Its plumbed right into the tank and you will know what the fuel content is as you're pumping into the tank. Pretty cool right? Check it out. let me know what you think...

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/ECA/ECA.shtml
Old 08-04-15, 12:15PM   #1720
turbo louie

Weird thing. Yesterday with a cracked header the turbo was making 35psi. Now with it fixed its only making 31-32 psi... lol...
Old 08-04-15, 09:57PM   #1721
JSPONT

Hey Charlie, where does that header keep cracking? I'm spending to much money on vacation. I'll have to ride with you until I can get my tires! Save the 40 psi till I get home. I'll call you later
JSPONT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-15, 01:32AM   #1722
turbo louie

I found a couple of things that I fixed but haven't tried it yet to know if it worked. Tomorrow.

Ive been using a 15 lbs spring in the waste gate and putting boost on top of it for more boost. Does anyone know if i put a 25lbs spring in, if i will get more boost with the knob the 15lbs. Someone just told me usually depending on the turbo that you will get double of whatever the spring is ....
Old 08-05-15, 01:37AM   #1723
turbo louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
Hey Charlie, where does that header keep cracking? I'm spending to much money on vacation. I'll have to ride with you until I can get my tires! Save the 40 psi till I get home. I'll call you later
What r u talking about ? Ur done. All you have to do is have 20 bucks for gas!! Just put a throttle stop on it for now and bring out !!

Its breaking on the #1 primary. I fixed a couple of things tonight so I hope tomorrow when I step on it it goes to 40 psi! lol
Old 08-05-15, 11:02AM   #1724
turbo louie

Ok everything works again . Got the boost back. I turned it down because it was blowing the tires off. Kind of sucks because Its wrecking my tires already (275 pros Mickey Thompson drag radials) I think this turbo only produces around 35-38 psi. My gage only goes to 30 so its a matter of guessing at how far it goes past 30. I didn't load it in second do to the tire spine so who knows how far it will go. If I had to guess , I would say its making at least 600hp @ the wheel fully turned up. But that's just speculation until I get it to the dyno... I turned it down to 30 so I can get a solid tune there. Right now its right around 0.74 lambda which is 10.88 afr, so its a little fat for my liking... Ill try to get to 0.80 -11.76 afr..... I'm using e85 for anyone wondering why im using lambda readings. Its amazing the difference from 30-35. 30 holds the tires . 35 doesn't......
Old 08-06-15, 09:52PM   #1725
turbo louie

Just got back with the car from a car show. On the way home I decided to turn up the boost to 34. Half way through second it blow the silicone off the turbo. Scared the shit out of me. But now I got about 10 passes on it with the af at 11.4 - 11.6 . I can say the car feels fast now. I think its blowing through the converter in third though. Anyone know how to tell for sure with out taking it to the track?