PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS
 

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Forced Induction This section for the traditional Pontiac V8

sponser links

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-13-14, 05:31PM   #1636
turbo louie
Registered User
 
turbo louie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: mastic ny
Posts: 2,102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
Cool deal Charlie! I was not at home today, had to do the pumpkin picking thing with the family! Maybe by the end of the week we can take a cruise together! I should be going back together. I'll call you tomorrow.
Turbo seal bad? return line issue? My Porsche had that problem, but it was probably different. I had to have a return pump with my low mount turbos.
How is the end play in that turbo since you have been flogging that beast for so long now!
I have had the turbo apart , there is nothing wrong with it...
__________________
If it's gona be it's up to me!
turbo louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 06:41PM   #1637
turbo69BIRD
Moderator
 
turbo69BIRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: simsbury CT
Posts: 5,717
Default

Well on Chevys they pull it in from the bottom of the intake, no vary pan. The intake sits in the oil.

Pontiac is seperated so It would if anywhere have to be within the head I guess. Suppose it could be a loose valve seal/ guide? But more likely water at an intake gasket.

Vacuum is a weird thing on the boats when you surface the drives they get hot, push oil out past the seals, as you slow and sink back into the cool water everything contracts and causes vaccine which then sucks water past the seals the fix is an expansion tank.
turbo69BIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 07:07PM   #1638
turbo louie
Registered User
 
turbo louie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: mastic ny
Posts: 2,102
Default

I really don't suspect it to be water. All I smell is oil. I would like to find out if its coming from the oil return being clogged by the slosh.. Have any ideas on how to test for that?
__________________
If it's gona be it's up to me!
turbo louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 08:05PM   #1639
pontiacjeff468
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: richmond b.c.
Posts: 96
Default

IS your car an auto?
I've had a leaky modulator befor, it would
puff on deceleration
pontiacjeff468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 08:22PM   #1640
turbo louie
Registered User
 
turbo louie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: mastic ny
Posts: 2,102
Default

Yes it is. But the smoke is definitely coming out of the exhaust..
__________________
If it's gona be it's up to me!
turbo louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 08:46PM   #1641
pontiacjeff468
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: richmond b.c.
Posts: 96
Default

so did mine. it sucked up about a litre out of the trans, into the motor and out the exhaust
pontiacjeff468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 09:03PM   #1642
turbo69BIRD
Moderator
 
turbo69BIRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: simsbury CT
Posts: 5,717
Default

Never though if the modulator good thought.
I do suspect drain back nackup mostly. Decel puts oil to the front of the motor, oil return is in the front backs up into the turbo, especially if return is marginal to start with. Best way to test IMO would be to park it facing down hill and let it run there for a bit. It should smoke sitting like that.
Doesn't have a vac pimp on it so it could be the culprit.

Reason I don't think trans fluid is it would smell super sweet normally.
Other test would be to put a pump on it and see if it goes away.
turbo69BIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 09:19PM   #1643
turbo louie
Registered User
 
turbo louie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: mastic ny
Posts: 2,102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacjeff468 View Post
so did mine. it sucked up about a litre out of the trans, into the motor and out the exhaust
I don't understand how transmission fluid can get into the motor. Can you explain this so I understand?

I forgot to say, my trans is reverse manual valve body...
__________________
If it's gona be it's up to me!
turbo louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 09:40PM   #1644
turbo louie
Registered User
 
turbo louie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: mastic ny
Posts: 2,102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69BIRD View Post
Never though if the modulator good thought.
I do suspect drain back nackup mostly. Decel puts oil to the front of the motor, oil return is in the front backs up into the turbo, especially if return is marginal to start with. Best way to test IMO would be to park it facing down hill and let it run there for a bit. It should smoke sitting like that.
Doesn't have a vac pimp on it so it could be the culprit.

Reason I don't think trans fluid is it would smell super sweet normally.
Other test would be to put a pump on it and see if it goes away.
I don't get how trans fluid would get into the motor.
I'll have to try the hill test , as for putting a pump on this motor, I don't know where I could fit it. lol! Remember I don't have the drivers side head to bolt it to. ha ha . I guess I could come up with something if I had the 800 bucks for the pump setup..
__________________
If it's gona be it's up to me!
turbo louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 10:08PM   #1645
turbo69BIRD
Moderator
 
turbo69BIRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: simsbury CT
Posts: 5,717
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo louie View Post
I don't understand how transmission fluid can get into the motor. Can you explain this so I understand?

I forgot to say, my trans is reverse manual valve body...
When the modulator goes bad the vacuum line pulls in trans fluid from the broken modulator
Manual valve body won't have one. In fact I think only th350 has it isn't th400 electric kick down? I can't remember mine are all either sticks or man valve body's.
turbo69BIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 10:10PM   #1646
turbo69BIRD
Moderator
 
turbo69BIRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: simsbury CT
Posts: 5,717
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo louie View Post
I don't get how trans fluid would get into the motor.
I'll have to try the hill test , as for putting a pump on this motor, I don't know where I could fit it. lol! Remember I don't have the drivers side head to bolt it to. ha ha . I guess I could come up with something if I had the 800 bucks for the pump setup..
Isuzu pup smog pump, or get an electric one from a Porsche or Audi or something.

Used a Mallory 140 to pump return oil fir a while worked good.
turbo69BIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 10:22PM   #1647
turbo louie
Registered User
 
turbo louie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: mastic ny
Posts: 2,102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69BIRD View Post
When the modulator goes bad the vacuum line pulls in trans fluid from the broken modulator
Manual valve body won't have one. In fact I think only th350 has it isn't th400 electric kick down? I can't remember mine are all either sticks or man valve body's.
Oh! I never would of imagined that . Makes sense now... Thank you for explaining that Jeff...
__________________
If it's gona be it's up to me!
turbo louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 10:27PM   #1648
turbo louie
Registered User
 
turbo louie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: mastic ny
Posts: 2,102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69BIRD View Post
Isuzu pup smog pump, or get an electric one from a Porsche or Audi or something.

Used a Mallory 140 to pump return oil fir a while worked good.
I'm trying real hard not to add any more confusion or volt draw to the situation . lol.. I think I'll try the hill test and go from there for now...

But thank you for all the ideas...
As for the popping out the exhaust, I wonder if I should go down on the gap of the spark plugs. I think I'm at .025 right now.. What do you guys gap them at?
__________________
If it's gona be it's up to me!
turbo louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 10:48PM   #1649
marks73ta
Registered User
 
marks73ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 2,455
Default

Jeff you're mixing up the modulator with the kick down. The TH350 uses a modulator and a kick down cable. The TH400 uses a modulator and an electric kick down. Manual valve bodies don't use a modulator since it is manual. The modulator sets the shift point and shift hardness according to vacuum strength, less vacuum, more open throttle, harder later shifts. It works in conjunction with the shift governor with the governor setting the highest shift point.

Mark
__________________
Now dats sompin' differnt.
marks73ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-14, 12:06AM   #1650
turbo69BIRD
Moderator
 
turbo69BIRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: simsbury CT
Posts: 5,717
Default

Ahh yes you are correct mark. It's been a while for me.


Id gap them at .18 if its puffing when it breaks up or pops maybe it's just unburnt fuel? Or maybe you fluttering the rings when it's not firing.
turbo69BIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (0 members and 5 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turbo question shepherd1 " TURBO BUILDS " 7 10-06-11 09:32AM
Head count for readers of forced induction threads turbo69BIRD Forced Induction 83 07-31-09 09:52AM
Turbo exhaust question desertdueler Forced Induction 4 04-14-09 01:35PM
Aluminum dports and twin turbo question quick67bird Forced Induction 17 01-10-09 01:38AM
exhaust theory thread post up info here turbo69BIRD Forced Induction 8 01-08-09 02:10AM


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 10:12PM.

Featured Ads
Ken's Speed & Machine
Mayhem Turbocharging

Carter Cryogenics.  What can we freeze for you?

Pacific Performance Racing

Central Virginia Machine Service.  Home of the Injun Engine!

All Pontiac Engine Kits

Larry's Auto Machine.  Full serivce auto, marine machine shop, domestic and foreign.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2001 - 2007 PontiacZone.com
Page generated in 0.15316 seconds with 44 queries