Restoration and General Tech
> Transmission TECH
User Name
Password

sponser links

Old 10-23-07, 10:08PM   #1
turbo69BIRD

Default Trans brake ID and Questions

I have a trans brake thats not working properly and I need to ID the thing.
I also need to know if the plunger on the soleniod should pull back on its own.

Is there an internal sping in the solenoid?
WHen I pull power off the solenoid should the plunger return to the OFF position?

WHen the solonoid is removed should the shaft that it pushes inside the trans pop back out??

These are probably stupid questions but I am really a stick guy and just started with this trans brake crap.
I am trying to get this thing fixed for the weekend.
This is what my trans brake solenoid looks like but I am nt sure if its a TCI solenoid.
The trans is a fairbanks but has been freshened by dynamic.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
turbo69BIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-07, 12:00AM   #2
598TransAm
Pump Gas'r

Not to sure about yours but I have a BTE solenoid. Here is a picture of the way it looks when removed from the Tranny. I have never pulled mine out. But I was told by BTE that a 5 yr old could push in the soleniod and it should pop back out by itself. Hope this helps ya some

598TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-07, 01:28AM   #3
turbo69BIRD

That is the same style solenoid.
I pulled it out and I pulled the plunger and it was bottomed out.
When I removed the plunger ou could see it had scratches on the end of the plunger land and the spring was jambed up in the land and haning down. I tried to fish it out with a magnet but no luck it fell deeper into the trans.

Anybody got an Idea where it goes when it drops???
I am hoping I can pull the pan and retrieve it or maybe in through the tail shaft.
Man I am pissed at dynamic trans right now!

I am betting thats where my high temps were coming from. The brake was probably partly engaged all the time, and the only thing holding it open at all was the spring caught in it.

I am hoping to get it out and get the brake fixed for friday Track rental.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-25-07, 12:02AM   #4
turbo69BIRD

Well I got the sring out tonight It was not too bad I just had to pull the drive shaft and tail shaft housing.
And Then I ran down to my uncles spring factory. Imperial spring in southington ct and grabbed a new spring that matched up and was on my way.

T brake is making all the right sounds at least and seems to function OK but I haven't started the car, since it was late and had no mufflers on her.
I will take a ride tomorrow if this rain stops and beat it appropriately.
Old 10-25-07, 02:13AM   #5
598TransAm
Pump Gas'r

Thats good news you were able to get it out.

Also I was looking at your stats 3250lbs, 9.76 etc... What size tire? And what is your RPM at the end? By the way it comes out with RWHP you should be in the 9.40's (with ideal condtions). Could it be you run around with no front end like the picture?

http://www.richmondgear.com/112901.html
598TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-07, 01:02AM   #6
turbo69BIRD

Actually its 3250 with out me in it right now. and I am currently 212 Lbs.

I know I should be down there. when I got to the track that day the damn thing wouldn't release. It was sticking I guess the spring wasn't heavy enough. I was up against ba strong head wind ( most guys lost 2 or 3 MPH) and the track was real bad skating all over the place out about 60 ft.
I ran it off the foot brake and stood on it with both feet to set it. brought it up to about 3000 RPm and hammered it. I ran 10.00 10.02 10.07 and finally I upped the boost a half turn and put the thing in athe nies at 9.95 at 142. My MPH is usually 144 or more.

It was the last run of the year and they closed the track after it. At least I got her back in the 9's.
I am going to put a hipster in over the winter I think.
The foot brake 60 ft was 171 on that run. Theres a ton more in her but I have just had stupid problems all year.

This brake is a weird deal because it is in the govenor plate instead of up front.
I am sure I could get it to work but do I want to be in the final round and have it go back to the same old issues.
NO way.