Restoration and General Tech
> Late Model Tech '81 to present
User Name
Password

Late Model Tech '81 to present High Tech Engine management and Late model Q&A

sponser links

Old 12-17-06, 01:44PM   #1
aircrewman

Default 2004 grand prix starting issues??

Hey guys, just a quick question this starting issue has been killen me!!!

My wife has a 2004 grandprix 3.8 v6 gt1 model. (non S/C) 75,000 miles,. every so often atleast once day let's say she attempts to start the car, she turns the key to on, the fuel pump runs for a few seconds, she turns the key, it starts for like .3 secs and then dies, she does this a couple more times, before she has to apply bit of gas, then cranks the key and then it will start right up. To me this sounds like an innermitent fuel pump issue, but it's been doing this for a year or so or since 40.000 miles, A new pump is FREAKEN EXPENSIVE!!! Any help would be great.........thank you.....

more trouble shooting.

well I replaced the fuel pump relay under the hood and it didn't fix the problem. Also to add we were traveling on the freeway at about 70+mph and the car started to hesitate and died, we coasted to the gas station where we let it sit for 10mins and it started up again. All engine instruments were normal we had a 1/4 tank of gas left, so I filled er up. and it hasn't died like that since. My thought now would be a clogged fuel injector/s since a fuel pump problem tipically doesn't last this long. I've tried a fuel injector cleaner, and changed the fuel pump. And the problem doesn't seem to be getting any worse. Another issue that has occured and I think it is related is when driving on the highway at cruise speed of 70mph, the trans will up shift and down shift between 3rd and fourth gear, It does this with cruise on and off, to correct you must give it more gas or let off the gas. The car idles fine otherwise. Any ideas before I take it the dealer and spend alot of money for them to tell me that it was someting simple??? could this also be bad plugs or coil pack/s???
aircrewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-06, 09:00PM   #2
blue69bird
For Sale!! $16,500

Try cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensor with GM top engine cleaner.

Pontiac Power forever!
blue69bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-06, 09:53PM   #3
aircrewman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue69bird View Post
Try cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensor with GM top engine cleaner.

I'll check that out, thanks for the reply...
Old 12-17-06, 10:14PM   #4
MydnightMyst

Check the fuel pressure regulator as well.
Old 12-17-06, 10:44PM   #5
aircrewman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MydnightMyst View Post

k where is that located exactly? under hood, tank?
Old 12-17-06, 11:35PM   #6
MydnightMyst

Underhood, on top of the engine. GM has had a rash of 3800 fires due to the fuel pressure regulator and bad o-rings on the fuel injectors.
Old 12-18-06, 09:29AM   #7
aircrewman

Quote:
Underhood, on top of the engine. GM has had a rash of 3800 fires due to the fuel pressure regulator and bad o-rings on the fuel injectors.

wow, I'll check it out, the fuel injectors obviously I can see if they are leaking, what pressure is the press reg. supposed to be putting out? I would assume around 50psi or so but figured I will ask first.....
Old 12-19-06, 10:33AM   #8
Goatman

Quote:
Actually it is a returnless fuel system, so there is no regulator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircrewman View Post
wow, I'll check it out, the fuel injectors obviously I can see if they are leaking, what pressure is the press reg. supposed to be putting out? I would assume around 50psi or so but figured I will ask first.....
Pressure should be in the neighborhood of 40-50 psi. Check your fuel rail, and feed lines for leaks, like Jay said. Could be minor, but enough to bleed down.
Old 12-19-06, 08:40PM   #9
MydnightMyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatman View Post
Actually it is a returnless fuel system, so there is no regulator.

Pressure should be in the neighborhood of 40-50 psi. Check your fuel rail, and feed lines for leaks, like Jay said. Could be minor, but enough to bleed down.
http://www.wftv.com/video/10528586/index.html
Old 12-20-06, 10:15AM   #10
aircrewman

Quote:

holy sh*t that's scary, the recall or bulliten didn't say 04" grand prix's but it did say gm model 3800 v6 engines, and that is the engine the 04 prix comes with. So this begs the question does the 04 have a return system or a press reg?
Old 12-20-06, 01:05PM   #11
aircrewman

Alright I checked the fuel rail and there is no pressure reg. The fuel pressure is reading 55-60psi when key is on. once engine is started it maintains 50-55 psi. I am going to look at the plugs. I am thinking now that i've checked the fuel injectors they were dry, there is no FPR, that it may have something to do with the starter cutout circuit. When you start an 04 grand prix it has a protective circuit designed to cutout the starter to prevent inadvertant restarts. I think this circuit is cuting out prior to fully starting the engine.

Whada ya think??
Old 12-22-06, 10:18AM   #12
Goatman

Could be the pump bleeding down. Hook your pressure guage up, run it a bit, then shut it off and leave it for a while. See if the pressure drops.
Old 12-27-06, 01:34PM   #13
aircrewman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatman View Post
Could be the pump bleeding down. Hook your pressure guage up, run it a bit, then shut it off and leave it for a while. See if the pressure drops.
I don't think it's that sometimes it takes turning the key over 5 or 6 times before it will start and everytime I let the fuel pump timeout prior to turning the key over to the start position.....
Old 12-31-06, 12:01PM   #14
Ron
Pontiac Nut

I hope you figure this out because my '98 GTP does the same thing. At first it would only happen every once and awhile but now it has become a cronic problem. Been to two different dealers and they do not know what is causing the problem. No codes to look at. I have a new GM fuel pump as I was thinking that was the problem but it did not help. Fuel pumps for these cars are expensive.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-07, 05:21PM   #15
aircrewman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I hope you figure this out because my '98 GTP does the same thing. At first it would only happen every once and awhile but now it has become a cronic problem. Been to two different dealers and they do not know what is causing the problem. No codes to look at. I have a new GM fuel pump as I was thinking that was the problem but it did not help. Fuel pumps for these cars are expensive.
Did you try the fuel pump relay?