> Engine Tech Discussion - Street or Strip
User Name
Password

sponser links

Old 12-31-06, 07:13PM   #1
7t2cv

Default DIY EFI kits

zppy,
per our previous conversation, here are pics of my homemade megasquirt efi system. its a batch fire, speed density system, so theres no mass airflow sensor. it mainly works off the map and rpm sensors to look up fuel delivery values in the programmed fuel(VE) map. it comes with a base map, then you have to fine tune it yourself. this part takes some time, but the results are worth it.
the kit comes with bare main and relay boards for about $70 or so. you can get all the parts through digikey, then load it up yourself. or, there is a guy in ga under the ebay vendor name DIY autotune that sells the completed, tested units for about $250 or so.
then you gotta buy and setup a recirc hi pressure fuel system. ill tell you more about system construction if you want. i was going to give a link to their website, but its under construction(www.bgsoflex.com) but maybe you could google megasquirt and find the chat boards for info.
7t2cv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-06, 09:55PM   #2
Gach

Default Re: DIY EFI kits

At one time I was seriously thinking about going with EFI system, I wanted to get rid of the hood with the Pro scoop, and be able to put a stock hood back on, but it was to much of a learning curve so I give up, but this sounds a lot
simpler. Goatman had a 70 GTO clone and ran a efi system, ran 10.00's pretty impressive, but he had a ton of money into it, $4000.00
Old 12-31-06, 10:42PM   #3
Zippy
The Unbanable

Are you running TBI or multiport? I was/am a member of the megasqirt board, but havn't been there in a long time. SOmewhere, I have a binder where I printed out the complete manual. I have read it, and really thought about going EFI, but it still gona cost a arm and a leg for the TB and injectors, fuel rails, etc.
Old 01-01-07, 01:53AM   #4
bad69bird
Procharger Posse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
Goatman
Gach,

Now that a name I haven't heard in a while...
http://luhnperformance.com/
http://csucarbs.com/

Nitrous is like a hot girl with a STD...you want to hit, but you're afraid of the consequences.

Fastest Stock Suspension & Blow-thru Pontiac in the country
8.44 @ 166.97 (@3465#s)
1.38 60', 5.51@ 132.83-1/8th mile-DA 3800'
bad69bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-07, 02:09PM   #5
7t2cv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
Goatman had a 70 GTO clone and ran a efi system, ran 10.00's pretty impressive, but he had a ton of money into it, $4000.00
$4000- YIKES!
i wouldnt have done this if it had cost that much. i did my complete system for about $600. but youve got to fab up some stuff and be a shrewd ebay shopper to do it. heres my list of stuff:

2- ford 65mm throttle bodies; $20 each. cheap because theyre stock mid '90's mustang bodies that are discarded for 70mm and 75mm upgrades. they have an easy mounting flange, and you can cut down the throttle plates to mount on carb manifolds.

2- 1/4"- 28 screw on heim joints for linkage; $10. tig weld on 1/4"-28 receiver nut onto a cut down 3/8" pushrod for linkage rod. (see pic)

1- holley 12-915 255lph in tank pump; $100. cut off the stock pickup and mount the intank pump so that its is down inside the sump. also, make sure the fuel return line is pointed back into the sump on the pickup flange, or else youll evacuate your sump on a long curve with low fuel. i sump'ed my tank because i thought i had to, but theres an easier way without it. ill tell you more about it if youre interested.

8- 60lb/hr hi impedance fuel injectors; $249.95. i know youre in disbelief, but i bought them last year from a vendor on ebay named "seemless frost". he told me that his brother's company's (venom) contract had lapsed with summit, so he was selling them on ebay until the contract was resigned. i guess the contract has been resigned, because hes not registered anymore. instead, you can get siemens 60lb hi z injectors off ebay now for about $375 a set. theyre good for 700+hp running 90% duty cycle. the important thing to know here is that i use hi, not low impedance units. my opinion, there is no advantage to low impedance injectors for n/a hipo v8 usage. lo z injectors are good for turbo 4 cyls, but require heavier wiring and driver networks to support them. plus, you have to be familiar with how to set up a pulse width modulation train in the ms system- which is a tricky, and can result in burned up injectors and a hydraulic'ed engine.

4 foot stick of 1/2" brass tubing; $15

8- 1/2" copper pipe stub ends; $25
refer to pic; i discovered the 1/2" copper stub ends have the right ID to fit over and seal up to a universal type injector. it is the same size for the end that inserts into the manifold, but i would weld the alum bungs instead of epoxy and set screw the copper bungs in the intake manifold like i did.
i cut the copper stub ends to length and bored a 1/2" hole up at the top of each with my drill press, they were a tight slip fit over the brass "rails". once your manifold is tapped, you can space the copper ends correctly to match, make sure theyre straight, then solder them in place. then solder barb fittings onto the ends of the rails for fuel hook up. pressure test in a bowl of water with air compressor.
NOTE: ive never had any problems the past 2 years with this copper/brass system, but i strongly recommend carrying a fire extinguisher as i do- just in case.

1- mitsubishi bypass fuel pressure regulator; $30. i soldered on the correct receiver fuel fitting to the end of the fuel rail(s), then hard mounted it to manifold. it holds 45psi.
by the way, its nice to have a fuel pressure gauge somewhere in the rail system to check pressure.

hope this helps. i think the EFI market could be a boomer if systems could be sold completely dyno tuned, just plug 'n play with color coded harnesses.
of course the price would have to be attractive too!
Old 01-01-07, 09:02PM   #6
Zippy
The Unbanable

That';s a great idea using 5.0 TB's. I think I might be able to come up with a side by side TB arangement, like LS1 style mounting. Hmm. The injector's are still a good chunk of change. STill, Zipp might persue this one day. Not this year though. Might start collecting parts though, if I find good deals
Old 01-15-07, 11:51PM   #7
BILTIT
SRT8 w/N2O Eater

Now i am intrigued! I was turned off from EFI because of the cost of the fuel system. I was planning to use megasquirt. Might have to re-evaluate. Like the looks of the injectors under the intake.
'74 Ventura, '74 455 (9.5 comp), KRE D ports 305cfm (SD performance), Scat, Ross, SD Road Paver solid roller, TII, 850DP (shaker455) , 1-3/4 hookers, dual 3'' Pypes/3'' Magnaflows, TH350, conti 10'' 3800, 3.73 , ET Streets 28x13.5x15.

Have not run with the KRE heads yet, excited to hopefully give it a go this summer!!
BILTIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-07, 01:34PM   #8
imported_bob70goat

I plan on using a system similar to what JB sells on their site - lots of
$$ tho but looks very nice , uses a F.A.S.T. ecu, comes with manifold harness , ecu, regulator, base curves already set , injectors and harness already setup , plus with the fast system you can switch between 3 dfiierent performance profile ,,, say street , strip and ecomnomy ( yea right)
imported_bob70goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-07, 11:35PM   #9
pitch400

Has anybody tried the Holley TBI with 85lb injectors? It's about $1500 which is'nt too bad.
pitch400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 12:39AM   #10
mikelovespontiacs

i'm selling the holley 900 analog TBI setup with optional closed loop box, extremely low miles, all harnesses included, and fuel pump.
$800/obo
mikelovespontiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 06:54PM   #11
mar3
the fallen

That price looks even better..

:Cool
mar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 01:18PM   #12
mikelovespontiacs

wow, you put the ignition box and ecm right in bed together!
i'd really like to see a picture of the underside of your intake, please (how you did the fuel rail setup)
and, someone buy my holley setup so i can spend the money!!!!
$800!!!!!! - complete efi, ready to roll, no fabrication.
mikelovespontiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-07, 05:15PM   #13
65Mark

I am also going to go EFI and Megasquirt, but I'm plumbing it under an aluminum tripower manifold and using the converted carb bodies for throttle bodies to try to keep a almost stock look on top. I started athread in the suggestion box about a section on this board for EFI etc. if anyone is interested. I'd like to explore this more.
Old 06-13-07, 01:11AM   #14
7t2cv

mark,
Finally someone is interested in efi! i converted my '72 formula to ms v2.2 back in '04. bought the main board, motorola cpu and relay daughter card for cheap and loaded it up with my own diodes, transistors, etc. if youre not an electronics geek like me you can buy a completed kit off ebay form a guy that ids as diy autotune out of GA.
im sold on my setup and think other carb guys would take a fresh look if the kits came pretuned with the fuel maps in the ecu's for specific combos at prescribed hp levels- just plug n' play! im currently working on sourcing 60lb and 96lb hi impedance injectors for street/strip na and turbo cars using the ms ecu's with fahlgrens's wideband megatune.
i prefer the v2.2 because you can trouble shoot it easier-,the v3 has a multilayer laminate pcb that would be a bi*ch to troubleshoot if you smoked it!. im somewhat interested in researching the ign accessory upgrade, but right now, im kinda predisposed with getting some other stuff to market.
welcome aboard mark, im sure well drive others crazy!!
jim
Old 06-13-07, 03:54AM   #15
65Mark

Jim

I am debating buying it all assembled or building it myself, time for projects is the factor. I probably won't buy the megasquirt till just before I'm ready to wire up the car they keep coming up with more and more options. I still need to pull the body of the frame for the restore, and I just took the 428 in to be hot tanked and checked. I'm not an electronics geek by any means, but I know my way around a circuit board and assembly wouldn't be a problem. You might say this car will be a digital junkies dream, with a bunch of speed for the adrenalin junkie too! I'm looking forward to explore the subject, and maybe convert a few non believers.

edit to add link.... http://www.passion4pontiacs.com/foru...ead.php?t=1264