PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> High Port Head
User Name
Password

High Port Head High Port owners can give there opinions along with their track results

sponser links

Old 03-17-11, 06:15PM   #106
Gach
Administrator

Ok..here's the deal the heads are sold as bolt on out of the box. Dude heads have a 3.2 CSA. 535 ci. Heads flowed 375 cfm with a 280 cc port. With .650 lift. hyd roller. Forget his roller you tell me what it needs for a cam. And where the rpm range is going to be. Tell me what the air speed is because if you do the math I come up with 268 fps with his cam. Which means you can't run a .650 lift cam. Tell me what you need for a cam.

The whole idea was for Dude to sell this as a crate motor or a deal where anyone could bolt this together. Which would be and induction package. Or just buy his crate motor deal.
Old 03-17-11, 06:38PM   #107
Gach
Administrator

You guys keep repeating the same thing over and over. What have look at is how the head is sold. You stuck with that CSA. and port volume. The other problem is the intake look at how and where it wants to move the air that will give you a good under standing why they have reshaped the ports and come up with what three different intakes.

Every good head porter has said the same thing the as cast head and intake has problems. Why do you think Calvin went to Dran Mogan. Calvin head is a whole differen port the the as cast original head.

Dude heads need a minumm .750 lift cam. and needs to be in the 7800 rpm range to make the same power, what do you think it's going to need for a converter. How is all this going to work in a stock block shifting at 7800 rpms.

What about the 50 or so sets of heads that have already been sold and sold on the idea that these heads will work on a 400-428-455 stock block.
Old 03-19-11, 01:38AM   #108
Aaron

Gach,

Yes the head is sold with a given CSA and port length which defines the port volume. IMO it's the engine builder's responsibility to ensure the intake port's CSA is appropriate for the engine displacement, engine rpm, and camshaft selected. If a crate motor deal was the plan, I'd expect the engine builder to optimize the parts for the crate motor and ensure it works. Don't you think that makes sense?

I think you're getting wound up in the history of what has happened. I still see the head selection as the engine builder's responsibility. If Dude's engine is running at 6500 rpm it should pull ~610 ft/sec on the running engine. The engine should make power out through 7500 rpm with the appropriate cam.

The optimum cam selection takes a lot more info than what's available and some modeling time. I was making comments based on the existing hardware as a comparison.

I've not seen the intake manifold so I can't comment on it.

In looking at Stan's flow data (thanks Stan!), it's weird the intake flow continues to climb significantly to .900". That would suggest the intake valve is too small for the intake port or the port is too big for the valve diameter. Either that or there's just a fundament problem in the intake manifold or intake port. Either way, I'm just trying to sort out why heads have not performed to expectations in some applications. Is the taper angle extremely large on these ports?

Given the flow data, the engine will need to rev higher and have a much higher lift cam installed (solid roller) to take advantage of the CV-1 heads.

L8r,

Aaron
Old 03-19-11, 01:14PM   #109
Gach
Administrator

Very well written and I think Dude proved exactly that. The CV-1 has it's place in the after market. The whole idea was to see how it competes as and out of the box head in comparison to SD Performance 340 cfm E-head. Its not a head that can operate in the 6500 rpm range it's a 7500 and up head. The test was to see how it performs in a 535 ci with a .650 lift hyd roller. Even with a .720 lift solid roller cam it still didn't make as much HP as the 340 SD head.
Old 03-19-11, 01:50PM   #110
Gach
Administrator

One point I want to make, for those who can't afford to paid for R&D and is looking for a head they can buy and bolt on, the CV-1 is not the out of the box head you can do that with. It's going to take R&D, intake work and someone to make the right cam choice. In comparison to a SD Performance package that you can buy and bolt on.
Old 03-26-11, 02:00AM   #111
SDTempest

Hpttfmf!!!
SDTempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-11, 11:58PM   #112
Dragncar

I never thought I would see you say that Gach.
I got crushed around here for saying as much.
It seems to me the CV-1 wheelhouse is power adder combos as its casting is so solid and there is the cut back exhaust option.
But Tigers have that option too.
Dragncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 01:04AM   #113
SDTempest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yella Terra View Post
Hi Guys,

Pretty new to your forum, but wanted to give you the heads up for what we are doing for Pontiac Enthusiasts.

Our management has committed R&D and design work towards a range of shaft rockers for Pontiac Heads....( we are fortunate to have one of the directors of YT a Pontiac Nut owning a 1968 Pontiac Lemans!!! ).

We currently have
STUD Systems
YT 6029 Pontiac V8 7/16 1.5 ratio straight arms to suit factory heads Stud system
YT 5010 Pontiac V8 7/16 1.65 Ratio Stud systems

SHAFT SYSTEMS
YT 6370 Pontiac 8 Edelbrock Performer Twin shaft system ( 240” inlet offset & pushrod offset))
YT 6372 Pontiac 8 Edelbrock Performer Twin Shaft system

We are currently developing Bolt on Shaft systems (Platinum Series) to suit

Pontiac 6X Original Cast heads
Pontiac KRE D Port Heads &
Pontiac KRE Hi Ports

These will be released in the next 6-8 weeks and we'll post them up on the web and let you know when available.

Jim
Has anyone heard anything on these?
Old 06-11-11, 02:40AM   #114
SDTempest

Looks like things are a little behind schedule. I'll keep you guys posted if I hear anything else from Jim Petrakis