PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> Grape Vine - General Discussion
User Name
Password

Grape Vine - General Discussion Shop Talk - Bench Racing, No political or religious topics are allowed.

sponser links

Old 03-29-19, 04:41PM   #1
Gach
Administrator

Default Heads Up....New....AT&T Hacked.

Thereís 5 of us on a single plain, all phones are paid for. ( but it doesnít matter if your paying payments ) This is how the hack goes, I get a call from AT&T, caller says we are doing up dates if you have any problems with your service call us. Up dates Will be performed between 1-5 pm today. Weíll send you a text and Email.

Sure enough with in a minute I received a text, not minute goes by another call asking for code that was sent by text. Same way itís done if you forget your password. PS: when I pay my bill, I get email, confirming itís been paid.

Just about a hour later Iím on my phone, I get email thanking me for my $642.00 payment. Iím like WHAT ! My bill is paid, so I didnít make that payment, pretty slick.

Next my wife and I lose cell service ( not WFI) Thank god my son-law was Home ( his day off ) so I was able to call AT&T.
Old 03-29-19, 05:00PM   #2
Gach
Administrator

So I call AT&T, telling them all 5 of us have lost cell service! Keep in mind none of us have land lines. My son and daughter were both on road using GPS.

Hereís what they did, they Purchased 5 new IPhone 10X max , 256 gig. Which go for 1450.00 each. So a total of $7250.00 worth of phones.

I ended up on the phone with ATT fraud department, Iím like how did they do this, ( by they way our sevice to all Phones was restored with in 1/2 hour ) No way anyone had my ID and password. She said they donít need it. She also said AT&T will never call you...text...or email you. Humm? Iím like ok.

Anyway it was traced to our local Walmart. She explained how they do it, they have one person out side, the other buying the phones, when the get the code from text they send, that person inside now gives them the code ( because to access my account they tell, them they forgot the password. Now their able to get all 5 phones activated.
Old 03-29-19, 05:13PM   #3
Gach
Administrator

So I said to her, they must have charged all phones to my account ( thatís right she said ) so if you deactivate them, they canít use them. So I donít understand
How the gain anthing because phones are totally useless. No she said, what they then do is sell them on line, unfortunately people who buy them have no clue their stolen phones. What they do is sell them couple hundard cheaper and you know how everyone loves a deal. Pretty slick hey.

So unless you personally asked for password change, or personaly disregard any text, email or phone calls from your carrier...itís a SCAM!!

It took 3 days changing passwords, Emails on and on to finally get everything straightened out. Can you imagine your daughter on a trip and all of a sudden loses cell service.
Old 03-29-19, 05:50PM   #4
sprint250
Moteesuh

Lou ,
read another article today that said all of our email passwords were hacked here last week.
I'll send ya the details.
Tells you how to verify.
Old 03-30-19, 02:17PM   #5
Dragncar

How can they get you E mail passwords if none is required for this site to send us a e mail ?
This site does not have our e mail passwords.
Dragncar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-19, 03:27PM   #6
Gach
Administrator

Yeah I checked with server...total BS. But hey if they put it out there some people are going to believe it. They use a IP from foreign country, just like The Robo calls so itís very hard to trace. Itís funny when I go over to PY itís says site unscrue.

Can you imagine a company like AT&T unable to combat hackers steeling phones , they got away with over 7000.00 in IPhones. In less then hour. I guess Walmart is a easy target.
Old 04-13-19, 03:40AM   #7
sprint250
Moteesuh

Default Emails & Data Hacked/Phished

Lou,
Maybe not this particular site.
All this cloud based stuff is not secured.Even outfits like GOOGLE gets hacked on a daily basis. Companies do not always immediately disclose to their customers that they had a data breach until after the fact when it is usually too late.
This what went on and the writer describes how it takes place.
https://securitydiscovery.com/800-mi...ation-service/
Very real threat because of an un-secure database on an email verification site.

last week I bought some parts on line.
This week I get a phone call from my bank that there was suspicious activity on a particular credit card.
Went to the bank and reviewed the records for the last week.
Someone was trying to purchase thousands of dollars of merchandise at a "Big Box" store in the south eastern U.S. using that credit card #.
Somehow the thief f'ed up and the purchase got flagged/rejected.
Needless to say the card got cancelled .
This is not the first time this has happened to me.
A few years ago I traced one that was run through a fake business that had a phone # of a restaurant in Missouri.
I get jerk off thieves calling me saying my social security number is going to be cancelled if i do not do blah blah blah immediately. LOL
Or they claim they are from the IRS or some other government entity.
Tragedy is some people fall for that crap and get their identities stolen /lives turned upside down and it takes them months if not years and legal fees to fix it.
As far as I am concerned the penalty for these cyber thieves should be death.Terminate with extreme prejudice.
If they want to appeal their penalty it's "yer losing yer birthday today asshole. Tough Shit ,NEXT CASE!".
The cyber thieves cost the economy 100s of millions if not billions of dollars a year.They ripoff everything from private citizens to big banks ,corporations and everything in between .Just the annual cost to catch them, prosecute them,then if convicted ,incarcerate them is enormous.
No Mercy.