PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> Edelbrock Heads
User Name
Password

Edelbrock Heads Edelbrock head owners can give there opinions along with their track results this includes Wide Ports

sponser links

Old 11-02-16, 03:48AM   #1
rexs73gto
rexs73gto

Default Which valves ??

I need to know which valves I will need to use when I get me heads to the shop & open them up for the 1:77 exhaust valves. I want to know which one you guys would use & have used when you open the exhaust. I should have done this when I 1st got them but being new I though I'd not need to. Also I have been running these round port E-heads for about 3 years & they have been great, but I to would like to know why & if I can make the exhaust side round instead of the D-port shape they are at present. I have to run round port exhaust manifolds so why not have them opened up to take advantage of the complete round port design?? Has any one done this to them & had good luck.?? When I bought the heads I called Eldo. & asked if I could open them up & they said no, but if there designed after the RA IV heads why can't they also look like them & then act like them. I would only seem reasonable that it should work that way. BUT ????? Help.
rexs73gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-16, 10:06AM   #2
Pontiac Dude
Engine Builder

Because after raising the floor the 1.66 E-head valve flows better then the factory iron headed 1.77.
Chevy did that wayyyyyyyyyyyy back in the 70's with their aluminum Bowtie heads. It's nothing new except to Pontiac people. LOL>
I run Ferrea valves in all my upgrades in 35 years. The only way to go, but recommend using a 1.73, that way u can increase the intake side for more flow.
The K.I.S.S. method
Thnik of it like this. Take a big pile of paper and shove it thru a big intake hole then try and shove it thru the exh side. Won't go or take to long.
Now take the paper after it goes thru the intake and burn it. what's left will easily go thru a smaller exh hole now.
The trick is getting the right port and intake valve size with the right exhaust valve size to work with what your combination is as to cam duration, LSA/CL and lift along with, intake flow, carb, the cubic inches and tons of other stuff required to........... make it happen.

BTW; it does NO GOOD to port heads and not flow the intake to match.

I can give a great example if u require as to ET and same intake different port mods as to my car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bradenton 10-29-16.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	28790  

https://www.facebook.com/kensautomachineshop/
Pontiac Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-16, 12:56AM   #3
rexs73gto
rexs73gto

Pontiac dude, If I go to the 2:19 intake & 1:73 exhaust is that better then going then with the 2:11 , 1"77 set up. I want the car to breathe the best it can with as little problem I can . I run a Crane Blueprint RA IV cam & have used that cam in a few different engine builds over the years. I want to keep the power I'm getting with this cam & like the way it sounds, but I'd like it to idle a bit better if I can. I use the 1:65 rockers to with the E-heads but if there is a better cam to use for this set up which is a 455 + .60 over, Eagle H-beam rods, Ross forged pistons, of course the RA IV cam Eldo Performer RPM intake & a Q-jet that I have tricked out which works great. The car is a 4 speed (M-22) & a 3:73 rear gear. Also I run RA IV exhaust manifolds to. I'd run some headers if & when I can find a set to fit without spending a ton of money on a hand made set. Ideas???
Old 11-03-16, 03:38PM   #4
Pontiac Dude
Engine Builder

Just go ahead and up the exh to the 1.77 and keep the 2.11 for your combo. The bigger cubes like more exh.

I recommend using the Ferrea brand valves.

Old 11-04-16, 02:16AM   #5
rexs73gto
rexs73gto

Thanks I need to know as I can't understand why Eldo didn't put the 1:77's in when they built them. But I do appreciate the any help you can give on these heads as I want the car to act like a kinda sleeper but not one that is soft so everyone thinks because it sounds like a stock car that it also runs that way. Do you have any ideas for a different cam with my combo that will let it idle a bit smoother then it does now. ?? I would like to be able to have it idle a bit slower. It idles right now at about 850 rpms & I can't seem to get it down any lower. It sounds great right now & I get a lot of complements on the way it sounds & runs , but I'd like it to idle just a bit smoother then it does. If you can recommend a cam that will give me what I have now but idle lower & smoother right now??? Please let me know. I know there are a lot of newer cams out there for our cars but the RA IV cam has been pretty good for for so far.
Old 11-09-16, 11:04AM   #6
steve25

You do not need a bigger Exh valve with the ra4 Cam ,as the reason Edelbrock used that 1.66" valve size was to try and make up for that big increase in the size of the Intake ports ( 215 CCs )and there slower port velocity from that of a 155 CC stock iron head.
What you need for better power is more Intake valve lift to move more air thru that Intake port which will provide better throttle responce and a tad better idle too!

The minimum intake port area in the E heads is 20% greater than a iron D port head.
As such the peak torque rpm of a 455 with iron heads goes up from some 2600 rpm to over 3100 with no other changes but bolting on the E heads, and this drop in velocity is why even a 455 with its 14% greater CID can not idle at the low rpm that a ra4 400 did off the factory floor.
Basically your Carb is sensing that 6% drop off in idle air speed and hence your 850 rpm idle speed!
steve25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-16, 03:04AM   #7
rexs73gto
rexs73gto

Steve then should I just go to a bigger intake valve & leave the 1:66 valve alone?? I am running the round port E-heads & not the D-port heads. So I don't understand about the compare with the D-port iron heads??
Old 11-10-16, 08:20AM   #8
Pontiac Dude
Engine Builder

Thumbs up FWIW:

For what u are doing just upgrade the exh valve 1.77 and use a cam with roughly the same specs but more lift to take advantage of the E-head better flow. I would get into the 2000's and go a hyd roller. They provide more power under the curve and better drive-ability.

Old 11-13-16, 11:31PM   #9
rexs73gto
rexs73gto

Thanks my block is almost done & I should be bringing it home in a few weeks so I can start to put it back together. I'll get them to work on the heads next. Thanks If you can think of a cam that will do what I want to do it would be helpful. Or should I go with a custom grind as they don't cost much more then a stock cut cam.