PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> Edelbrock Heads
User Name
Password

Edelbrock Heads Edelbrock head owners can give there opinions along with their track results this includes Wide Ports

sponser links

Old 12-03-19, 01:00PM   #1
Doright

Default older set of Large chamber Round ports?

I picked up a older set of E heads with the Larger combustion chambers according to guy at Butler performance. They are the Round port design (Large sideways D port)

Any way my Plans were to get them rebuilt Possibly send them to Butler for there CNC wide port job to build a little 455 block stroke it to 500 ish???

Going to be weekend warrior play toy run it at local Road race course on club days been a dream of mine with a good Muncie M22 just a play toy yes it will also see some limited street use.

Wondering if anyone has done the Butler wide port and how good it would be for a road course build where the RPM and Torque numbers may be? or if I would be better off with the Ports as is???? Big lazy ports are great for Hi compression and Hi rpm but my build wont really see hi rpm except for long straits. BUT a 4 speed gets the RPMS up fast.

I am Just not sure???
love the idea of huge fire breathing ports and Hi compression but I want brutal Torque down low all the way through 5k ? Yes i know hi octane fuel is a no brainier in this build.
Smashing on Corvetts Mustangs and Porches is the Goal
Doright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-20, 12:19PM   #2
Doright

No one?
Its been a day or two since posting no one has an opinion or experience with these heads???
Old 01-14-20, 04:53PM   #3
Gach
Administrator

This how it works, to make a true wide port, they buy bare heads with out push rod holes. Then drill holes after. If you have older heads with push rod hole already drill, its going be costly to get 406 cfm.

Mostly likely you’ll only get 365-370 cfm.
Old 01-14-20, 05:05PM   #4
Gach
Administrator

The other thing is, a true wide port is capable of making 1000 hp. But the cam you’d need to get there would pretty big, .850 lift range. Probably make peak torque around 6500 rpms. Needing pretty close to 6500 torque convertor, Not ideal for road course. Also would need off set lifters and off set rocker shaft. Rocker shaft set alone be about $1500.00

I’d go for 350 cfm you could make 700-825 hp depending on how much compression you want to run.
Old 01-14-20, 05:09PM   #5
Gach
Administrator

Again all depends on you pocket book and budget, and what your hp goal is.
Old 02-12-20, 02:48PM   #6
Doright

I may go for the smaller Port work then as I want a Road course car more than an all out drag car for this project, no Automatics either Just a good M22 4 speed.

I am aware of the costs for good Rocker arms set.

What are the heads actual numbers as they are not being touched? Advertised numbers and actual real world numbers are usually very diffrent.
What kind of power will they make as they are? am I better off leaving them alone for what I want to do?
Old 02-12-20, 05:51PM   #7
Gach
Administrator

Out of box e-heads flow between 270-280 cfm. With a roller cam could make 595-600 hp
Old 02-12-20, 05:59PM   #8
Gach
Administrator

Doesn’t take much to get them to 320-330 cfm head. Good valve job and some bowl work. Easily make 625 hp. Nice little roller cam. Perfectly street able. Thats allot of power and real nice street or road race car.