> 1958 - 1981 Pontiac Tech & Restoration
User Name
Password

1958 - 1981 Pontiac Tech & Restoration Firebird - GTO - Fullsize

sponser links

Old 09-08-05, 04:07PM   #1
71Firebird

Question 76 TA shaker hood opening demensions help

Does anyone have the actual dimensions for how large and exactly where the shaker hood scoop opening is on the hood?...my son and I are bringing his 76 bird back to life and he wants a TA style hood in the worst way.

We've gone out and looked at a couple (3) that we can find, each was priced over 250, and none were in very good shape, not even daily driver we thought. Did find a 78 for 100 and a 79 for 175, but of course, they don't work unless we change out the whole front clip.

So we found a 73 hood for only $25, it's in repairable shape, only real problem is a small dent from a carb stud, which won't be a problem cause that will be cut out...and two hood pin wholes, which we never even thought of, but the more we do, the better we kinda like the option of hood pins.

We want to start cutting and grinding, but don't have a real TA to measure from or know anyone. Can any of our fellow Poncho folks help us out here? Really just need the overall size and how far from the top of hood (by louvers),how long to front and how far in from the sides. Also the angle of the front where it "V's"....sure would help us out. Also if anyone has any tips, has anyone done this before?....and maybe some recommendations as to any bracing on the underside?...would it need it?...this will be a non-functioning style shaker, so we want to do a mounting to the underside...
What do you guys think, any help is greatly appreciated!

ps We'd much rather fabricate a "fake" TA hood than build a real Honda hood any day!
Old 09-08-05, 07:15PM   #2
Chuck

Were you located?
Old 09-08-05, 07:45PM   #3
71Firebird

Gig Harbor, Washington state...
Old 09-08-05, 08:33PM   #4
Chuck

Little far from me. I have a friend who might have a hood.
Old 09-08-05, 09:35PM   #5
71Firebird

That's what my wife told me....if I knew someone with a TA that's exactly what we would do...lol
Don't know anyone personally, or even causually, so I'm hoping that someone can just take some measurements, just the sidehood edge to edge or opening, the same on the back, and the back from the hood end to the front opening...I think we could pertty much wing it from there....we chopping up a $25 plain jane hood, and it doesn't have to be exact to the mm or anything....
We've got our grinder and cutting wheel just waiting for the weekend...lol!
Old 09-08-05, 11:03PM   #6
Chuck

I agree with fireball wait for a template. if your going to chop it chop it right.
Old 09-09-05, 01:24AM   #7
71Firebird

That sounds like the best sure way.... by any chance, either of you fellows have a template that could be mailed? Naturally would pay for the mailing and any handling fees needed.....
I've never seen any in any of the catalogs (NPD Year One, PY, Paddock etc) this is gonna have to be a custom hand made huh?
Old 09-09-05, 03:36AM   #8
A. X.

What I would do, is find a junk hood and cut the shaker hole out, and weld it in the other hood. That's just me though. That way it would have the lip that strengthens the hood in that area, instead of just being flat and looking like it was cut out.

The 77 and up shaker holes are the same, and do differ from the 70-76. We have several 75 owners here who could make you a template. :ax
Old 09-09-05, 02:11PM   #9
71Firebird

Thanks Fireball...

A.X.....If anyone can hook us up with a template that would be sweet!....this is a $25 '73 hood we have to try it on....just don't know anyone in the area with a TA to make one ourselves.....good point about the lip, we will have to give a little thought to how we'll do that, to give it more strength and look better...

The car came with a ST8 Cheby 6 in it, numbers matching, we want to keep it orig, cause of the numbers, and for gas mileage now...lol...but just last night we found out the head is cracked [mad] so we have another issue to deal with
but still...he's (my son Jason 18 yr) holding firm and not going with all his friends advice to "scrap the old POS and get a Honda"....he's young, no budget, but he does have taste!

Anyone got a 70-76 template they can send us?
Old 09-15-05, 02:28PM   #10
71Firebird

Anyone have a template they could share, or even the dimensions would help us move forward and butcher this $25 hood...lol...
Thanks
Old 11-08-05, 11:17PM   #11
wein77

I am in Olympia..... Sorry dont have a TA hood just a plain hood. For the lip just get the template and mark it on the hood and then move in about 1/2 - 3/4 inch in then cut and bend down. Then you would have your lip.
I have an extra hood that I was thinking about turning it into a 4" cowl hood.
wein77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-05, 11:54PM   #12
wein77

http://www.lateral-g.net/borodin/hood2.jpg
wein77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-05, 03:18PM   #13
71Firebird

Thanks AX & wein77!!....well, we've kinda put the hood on the back burner only cause we are having a headlight problem, here's a link if ya want to see the mess we're trying to get through...lol...
http://www.transamcountry.com/forum/...=17531&start=0
but we'll be going after the shaker as soon as we can...thanks for all your help guys!...but have to get this headlight prob fixed first...isn't it always like this?...lol...that's why we love 30+ year old Pontiac cars!!
Thanks