PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Restoration and General Tech
> User Reviews
User Name
Password

User Reviews Reviews of Products by Real Users.

sponser links

Old 10-29-10, 12:12AM   #1
BearGFR
Bigfoot

Default Milodon #81223 Main Stud Kit

This is the complete main stud kit that also has the provisions on #2 and #4 for mounting a Milodon (or similar) windage tray. I wound up using only the #2 and #4 studs to mount the windage tray, plus the studs for the rear main cap. Why? because the studs for #1 and #3 didn't fit! The problem was, even with the studs properly installed after cutting the bolt holes in the block with a bottom tap as specified in the instructions, when the caps were put onto the studs the bolt threads *ended* about 1/16" above the top of the main cap (with the washers installed) making it impossible to torque down the cap - the nuts "ran out of thread" before even touching the top of the main cap. I contacted Milodon and they listened to the problem and sent out a set of replacements for those four (4) studs that were a different length, but they had the same problem. At that point I just gave up and used the factory bolts for those two main caps.
BearGFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-10, 02:47PM   #2
BearGFR
Bigfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas flaherty View Post
i have the same tray but the stud kit part number i have to nstall it is 81151 same kit as a bb chevy but have not install yet can this be your problem or mine
The 81151 is the tray install kit - and as I understand it, only contains the 4 studs you need to install the tray. You're supposed to use bolts on the other 3 caps. The kit I had, 81223, was supposed to be a complete kit - studs for all 5 main caps.
Bear
Old 12-15-10, 01:03AM   #3
Pontiac Jack
M/T Hemi Guru

File this under "general machine practice":
Be sure to do an "incoming inspection" of critical fasteners, such as main studs. Some aftermarket studs I had bought (maybe Milodon, but I can't say that for sure) didn't have the threads formed true to the studs' centerlines. I could see the tops of the studs describe a small circle as the studs were hand-screwed into the block. They had to go into the trash bin.
Pontiac Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-10, 02:07PM   #4
BearGFR
Bigfoot

He'll tell you (because this is exactly what he told me that they usually only use studs to mount the tray and use bolts on all the other mains. And, if you do try to use studs on the front main cap they're very likely to hit the oil pan - which may require some dimpling to in order to fix.