PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Restoration and General Tech
> User Reviews
User Name
Password

User Reviews Reviews of Products by Real Users.

sponser links

Old 07-08-06, 04:31PM   #1
A. X.

Default USER REVIEW: Mothers Powerball

The Mothers Powerball is basically a foam ball that attaches to any drill, and is used along with Mothers Metal Polish to clean/polish billet aluminum wheels, or anything that needs polishing. The idea behind the powerball is to cut down on polishing time, and it is said to be able to get into tight places, such as grooves in your wheels.

Wanting to cut down on the 2 hour task of hand polishing my billet wheels, I decided to purchase the Powerball, and give it a "spin!"

Following the instruction to the letter, I started off by cleaning my wheels, and drying them. (pic 2 & 3)

The wheels had a light haze and a few water spots that I wanted to get out. (pic 4) I first attached the powerball to a cordless drill. I then applied the Mothers Metal Polish to the Powerball as instructed. I then went to work on the wheels, covering the entire wheel, and working the Powerball in and out of each slot/cutout in the wheel. (pic 5) I used the Powerball like I would any other polisher, and allowed the ball to polish and remove the hazed polish from the wheels, using light pressure. Once finished, I then wiped down the wheel with a 100% USA Cotton towel.

The Results

As you can see by the pics, the results were nice. (pics 6-8) The powerball did not remove the waterspots like I had hoped, so I had to finish that up later by hand. The entire wheel took exactly 7 minutes to do, including the wipe down with the towel. The Powerball did not reach into the smaller areas of the grooves and cutouts, and just barely fit in between the larger areas. The Powerball did not get into the 90 degree angles of the wheel either. It did however, work around the valve stem very nicely, which has always been a trouble spot when polishing by hand. The overall look of the wheel was nice, but wasn't remarkable like they make it sound.

The Review

My opinion of the Mothers Powerball is that it's a good useful tool if you only need to polish your wheels quickly, and they aren't in need of a good cleaning. I believe it's a good tool for those who hate polishing wheels, but do not want their wheels to go to waste from any sort of build up of road grime. Is it worth the price? Certainly not! At around $30+ for the powerball alone, Mothers in no way justifies this price. It's more of a value at around $10 in my opinion. They would probably sell a lot more of them too. Basically it's just a sliced up foam ball on a small shaft. One can do a lot better job by hand. The time it saves may be worth it to many though.

I give the Mothers Powerball 3 out of 5 Arrowheads!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_0222.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	10532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_0223.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	10533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_0224.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	10534   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0226.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	10535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_0228.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	10536  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_0229.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	10537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_0230.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	10538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_0231.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	10539  
Old 07-09-06, 12:17PM   #2
Harpoon

Great Review!

I actually bought one yesterday while we were talking (I was at Auto Zone)
I bought the MINI POWERBALL, metal polish and plastic polish products.

One other thing the guy at counter told me was (and its in the paperwork) was to MAKE SURE your drill is set in SPECIFIC direction they say to use or the BALL will come off at hight rate and fast, possibly damageing something.

Mike, did you find the polish "slinging" any or was the ball really absorbent?
Old 07-09-06, 12:31PM   #3
A. X.

If you apply too much polish, it will sling. Just like any polishing pad. I usually rub it in before turning on the drill. The rotation should be "clockwise" which is forward on your drill... I guess. LOL! You'd think if it was cleaning really well, the foam pad would be black, but mine was only a little black. I think that a Metal "Cleaning" polish would work better.
Old 07-10-06, 11:09AM   #4
Harpoon

I could see where it would be good for stainless that needs high rpms to clean good (remove light scratches) PLUS getting in hard to reach places on a motor that needs detailing.

Havent used mine yet.
Old 07-10-06, 01:43PM   #5
Goatman

I have a couple of friends that use it, and love it for wheels. Of course, theirs is not as intricate as some I've seen, so it probably works better on those.
Old 07-11-06, 03:47PM   #6
Ron
Pontiac Nut

Wish you would have posted this earlier. I spent 6 hours cleaning, polishing, waxing my Weld Aluma Stars before the POCI race. They look great but 6 hours is a lot of time.

Thanks for the review. I'll be getting the ball on my next trip to the auto store. Even if I have to go back and hand remove the water spots it is still a large time saver.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-06, 10:53PM   #7
A. X.

I'm sure Mothers makes an aluminum "cleaner" that can be used on wheels before doing the polishing. That should remove a lot more of the problem grime like water spots and such. I'm gonna check out some of the products in the Mothers line, and maybe even call the tech dept to see if they have any suggestions.
Old 07-12-06, 01:21PM   #8
Goatman

Their metal/alluminum polish, the one comes in the little tub(kind of a paste consistency) works really well. It's alot of work by hand, but may work well with the powerball.
Old 07-12-06, 04:14PM   #9
Chuck

This reveiw helps i was debating about buying one. I keep picking them up and looking at them but havent bought one yet. I think I give it a whirl.
Old 07-21-06, 04:49PM   #10
Goatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiKay
all i know is its dam hard to keep my kinda mags clean and polished
It would probably work pretty good on your wheels, as long as you used a "mag" wheel cleaner on it.
Old 07-22-06, 11:45PM   #11
JUDGERAIV

I used mine for the first time today and it worked great on my Welds(Drag lites)
JUDGERAIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-06, 04:14PM   #12
flynbrian

I have nothing bad to say about the Powerball but it does work light years better with our Polish www.valco-cp.com The Magic Mix "Lazy Mans Polish"

I have started a thread in the "tips and Tricks" section On Polishing....A Lot of folks have no idea what is really involved in getting a nice shine out metal in many many different situations. I can help!
flynbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-11, 12:06AM   #13
Mark G
Northern Racer

Default A+

Power ball is great I use it all the time..
3250lbs
Mark G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 09:39PM   #14
aronhk_md

[size="3"]Some people prefer the Power Cone to the Ball.....I do.[SIZE]