PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
General
> Tales From The Glory Days
User Name
Password

Tales From The Glory Days A forum to share old stories from the past pertaining to Drag racing, Street racing, Tricks, Techniques, and any other interesting story.

sponser links

Old 06-27-17, 02:50AM   #1
rexs73gto
rexs73gto

Default Happy days

Just a quick story about my time at the 86 GTOAA nats. I as you guys know have a 73 GTO. At the time of this story all that was done to my car was & had a set of Jahns forged free floaters & RA III exhaust manifolds, with the original 3:08 rear end & the 4 spd. & a Q-jet. Well I was at the drags & while waiting for my turn I started to talk to the guy who I'd be racing. He was in a 64 GTO , black, his name was Paggett Peterson. He at that time still had the original 64 that the factory had put the 421 in & used it in most all of the original tests for the magazines back then. He told me how my poor old 73 didn't have a chance against his car as it ran so strong. I let him go on & on about this & when we got up to the line it did sound good. He did a nice burn out & I still have the video of the race. He really shouldn't have talked so much sh1t about it because when we line up he looked over at me & had a real sh1tty smile on his face like he knew he was going to beat me. We took off. He did get me on the 60 foot line but as soon as I hit 2nd gear , because I was spinning so much. Back then I had 2 choices & that was to spin or bog. 2nd gear came in & within the next 120 feet I was ahead of him & stayed there till the end. I went 13.02 @ 106. Paggett came in at just over 13.9 about 5 cars behind me. When we got back to the starting line he went & parked his car. I found him later & all I said was ,,, I thought you were going to beat me badly. LOL I then just walked away with a smile. I also won a 2nd place trophy that year in my class of cars. I never let him forget it either.
rexs73gto is offline   Reply With Quote