PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS

Go Back   PONTIAC ZONE TECH FORUMS >
Engine Tech
> Grape Vine - General Discussion
User Name
Password

Grape Vine - General Discussion Shop Talk - Bench Racing, No political or religious topics are allowed.

sponser links

Old 05-05-07, 12:30PM   #1
Zedo
prodigal son

Default Olds 442 that runs 8.0's on the motor w/E-heads

I was cleaning out my old emails, and found this- this car is amazing- this is the same guy that wrote the Pro Stock engine porting page years ago, dealing with average port diameter- at one time this was in the archives of oldsracer.com but I don't know if that site is still up- what I find amazing about this is, he was getting 8.0's from ported E-heads, on the motor without any power adders, and shooting for 7.90's- this was back in 2002-2003, so who knows how fast he is now, the car weighed 2350 lbs., it was only a back-halfed car, and was running faster than all the tube chassis Pontiacs at that time- this guy was on to something- for one thing, he had a stronger block with thicker bores and solid lifter valley, and 3" mains:

"I can remember when I was 16 years old and waiting to get my drivers license. My dad asked me
what kind of car I wanted and I answered that I wanted an Olds 442. It was really a dream on my
part and I didn't expect him to take me seriously. Next thing you know, we are off looking at 442's.
After much searching, we found a nice 1970 Olds 442. It was the early 80's and since the man was
about to take out a 20% loan for a new motorcycle, he took $1500 for it. It had 112,000 miles on it
and ran mid to low 15's in totally stock form with 3.23 rear gears. I still have that car, it now runs
in the 8.0's at over 160 MPH and represents close to the cutting edge of technology as far as race
engines go. We'll get into this later.

My car has a .125" over 455 block, aluminum rods, custom pistons and custom crankshaft. It uses
a set of Edelbrock heads that were ported by DART ENGINEERING. It uses electronic fuel injection
to deliver the fuel and control the spark and I fabricated the sheetmetal tunnel ram myself and
added twin 80mm throttle bodies.

I rear halved the car first with a narrowed 9" Ford and ladder bar suspension. Then I front halfed
the car, it sports a 12-point chrome moly cage, full aluminum interior and trunk and Lexan windows.
The body has a one-piece fiberglass front end, glass doors, bumpers and trunk. It weighs about 2350
pounds with me in it. The engine made 880 HP on an engine dyno. It's naturally aspirated and I plan
to keep it that way, at least for now. I used a lot of the Pro-Stock technology in building the engine to
get every last horsepower out of it that I could. My goal is to run in the 7.90’s and then decide the
next step. I don't know what that will be, but once I set the chinning bar into the 7's naturally
aspirated, I'll need to come up with a new goal.

In the technical articles to come, I plan on going through every part of the Olds engine. I'll explain
how it works, what its weaknesses are and what its strengths are. I plan to cover topics such as
the oiling system, cylinder heads, valve train, windage, cooling systems, exhaust systems, rotating
weight, everything."

Zedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-07, 12:35PM   #2
Zedo
prodigal son

Default Re: Olds 442 that runs 8.0's on the motor w/E-heads

here is more from the same guy- he makes it clear that to get maximum HP from an engine, you need a large average port diameter- he points out that ports that reach a high velocity low in the lift curve, are actually flow limited and HP limited- maximum velocity in a port too soon in the lift curve is actually a detriment to HP (contrary to what a lot of Pontiac people have been telling us for years):

Cylinder Head

"This is probably the single most limiting factor in making power in a production V-8 engine. I will now tell you why this is a problem.

When air travels through a tube, if the air velocity gets sonic, the speed of sound, the airflow through that tube is constant. In other words, once air velocity becomes sonic, you cannot flow any more air. Under sonic conditions, the only way to increase airflow is to either increase the area of the tube or increase the pressure on the feed side of the tube.

In an engine, this is also true.

The difference in an engine is that the air velocity at which flow "stalls", or no longer increases with increasing valve lift, is closer to mach .6 rather than mach 1. This is because things like friction get involved and as the port changes cross sectional area, the flow gets faster through this section.

In order to make HP you need air flow. An engine is just an air pump, the more air you pump, the more HP you will make. As you move more air, the air velocity goes higher and higher with increasing RPM. Once the air velocity gets too high, you can’t flow any more air. Most V-8 production engines have very small intake ports.

There are two ways to talk about port size, most people talk about port size in ccs. This is fine, but what really matters is the cc's divided by runner length. I convert this to an average size diameter of the port. If you look at a Ford 390-428 head (or 352 to 428 head for the people that remember), the ports are very short so the cc's of the port are smaller, even though the average diameter of the port is still very reasonable. I will refer to port volume in average diameter rather than cc’s. The average diameter of the ports is only 1.80" in diameter. This is calculated with a port volume of 187ccs and a port length of 4.5". This length is calculated through the center of the port to the valve opening. For comparison, the Edelbrock Olds heads have an average diameter of 1.71" and a set of ported Batten heads have an average diameter of 1.91". A stock set of "double camel hump" small block Chevy heads have an average diameter of 1.6" and a set of NASCAR Winston Cup heads have an average diameter of 2.04".

The limiting factor for most V-8 production engines making power is the intake ports on the cylinder heads. With the small port diameter, the air velocity gets very high and the intake ports stall. Most production V-8 cylinder heads stall around .550" lift. I have seldom seen a production V-8 intake port that still flows more air beyond .575" lift; most likely, you are not the exception to the rule. You cannot make the ports big enough due to several limiting factors. One is the fact that the intake port is sandwiched in between two pushrod holes. You can only make the port so wide because of this. In addition, one of the head boltholes is also located down in the port and prevents you from making the port wide enough. This is why raising the roof of the intake port is so successful, it adds port volume, slowing down the air.

There are also two different intake ports on some varieties of cylinder heads. The middle 4 cylinders have the same port layout and the outer 4 have a different port layout. This is due to the non-symmetric design of many cylinder heads."
Zedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-07, 03:58PM   #3
adam_woodmancy
wood338P

all i know is that sheetmetal intake with the twin t-bodies and the injectors in the runners is sic looking!!!
www.woodiesspeed.com
adam_woodmancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-07, 10:56PM   #4
GET IT ON
Pontiholic

THANK YOU Zedo !!! I had read about this car some time ago, and this guys online stuff, and I do think it was on an Olds site. I have to agree with what he says about the too small of ports on most engines. I'd say his Olds is proof of what he says too. I too would love to know about this car and where this guy is today.
GET IT ON is offline   Reply With Quote